• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

things to do with a disabled child..

pastelcircus

Bluelighter
i am currently working with a disabled child as a second job, and have designated outings during which i take her into the community, shopping, and to appointments. i need ideas as to what to do with her? i've got a couple of things that i do as default, like going to the mall to walk around, going to pet stores, stuff like that, but what are some things that i could do with her other than walking laps around the mall? i like my job and would like to have her like me as a caretaker, so any advice/ideas would be much appreciated! thanks

i work with disabled kids, so maybe i can give some advice. at first, what are her (or does she have any) interests? hows the communication with her? maybe you can find out what the kid wants to do^^

but what is always good in my opinion, is nature in general. some disabled people don't get to see it that much. show her some cool stuff. going to the movies is also fun.

what is her disability or limitations? what is her cognitive level?

i find that kids with special needs like the same things regular kids like. i always to take kids to places that their peers are interested in, so they can have shared social experiences.

Awesome local playgrounds?

In the DC area there are some unreal playgrounds with soft mulch or mat floors that I STILL want to play on. I'm not sure what is available in your area but trust animal_cookie...she is a professional "kid" wrangler.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I occasionally take care of a disabled young man who's much like a child due to his illness. He seems to like nature very much and hanging out with large groups of people, so I usually take him out camping into the woods and on youth gatherings held in the area.

You really have to either ask or take the kid out to many different events such as art shows, music shows, theaters, parks, etc, and just observe his/her reaction.

um? she loves the park/playground actually, especially slides. she's non-verbal, and as far as i can tell, doesn't really have any interests, other than her fleece pullovers. she does however, love nature. if there's too much going on in the house, she'll drag me to the door and ask to go on a stroller ride (by walking to her stroller)

The zoo! Everyone loves the zoo. Or maybe the aquarium? Underwater life still amazes me every time.

Zoo is a good idea!

And something creative is nice :) Drawing, painting, listening music etc.
How old is she?

I am not familiar with children's disabilities and how it impacts them, I am familiar with disabled adults (as in psychiatric disabilities). Can she have enjoyable interactions with others such as yourself, other adults, other children? Animals? Inanimate objects? If left alone with some toys around will she play with them? Does she show interest in music? I have a baby and he shows a lot of interest in those educational type baby shows they have on Nick Jr and PBS. The one's with different interesting looking characters, often animals with odd shapes and bright colors, where they teach 'lessons' around friendship and more general learning such as numbers and letters, etc. What is her age?

Something I have noticed is that babies love other children. They (and pretty much everyone) loves, even thrives, on attention. My belief is that everyone (save some disabled possibly) has an inate need for attention. I believe that prisons are filled with adults who did not get positive attention as children. They needed attention and learned that the only way they were going to get it (long before they were old enough to 'process' and 'understand' this on an intellectual level) was by doing something bad or wrong. Mommy and Daddy didn't jump up and down and spend ample ammt's of time telling little Joey how great he was and how proud they were of him every time he used the potty and every time he drew a picture, every time he did his homework, etc. Those times he was ignored or treated in a perfunctory manner. But when he stuck his toung in a wall outlet he got their attention "NO!" maybe with a slap. Play nice with his sister he's ignored and his parents are content that neither child is bothering them. Pull his sisters hair, she screams, he gets their attention "NO!" "You damn bla bla". So it gets ingrained in their psyche negative behavior gets attention. As they grow older the behavior is delinquent, etc, etc...

So giving children attention is always a great idea, especially if it is to praise them when they are doing something good, something desireable, something that will help them be a decent and responsible human. Look for opportunities to praise positive behavior. Go over the top with it.

What's the age of the child? What is the disability? Will rolling a ball back and forth sitting on the grass or carpet make the child entertained? Going by the water? Is she old enough to enjoy flying a kite? Is she able to do learning activities like making puzzles, using building blocks or whatever? Can she push a doll in a baby carriage herself? Is there the possibility you could find a resource where others are caring for disabled children so you could come together and explore possible play dates? Just a few thoughts...