• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Theory of psychedelics. Are they right or wrong?

romsoccer12

Bluelighter
I came up with a theory that psychedelics were put on this earth for a reason. I think our brain can do everything a psychedelic can produce, psychs were just put here so they can slowly help us to get to that mind set without using them. I think they are truly the answers to a lot of things we are looking for and with more reasearch they are capable of answering a lot of questions. A lot of great discoveries about the mind etc. were made by people doing psychs, another reason I feel they are very important. They show us the way, but we have to get there on are own. Thats why when we do to much of a drug, like acid, it fucks you up. Its not made to get us to the destination, just give us a path =). Can I here some more theories of psych users?

Last edited by a moderator:
That seems to be the most prevalent one I've heard. Not sure that I subscribe to it... not sure I have another one to counter it either, mind. Whether they're here for a reason or through pure good luck doesn't really bother me - it's all good in my book :)

I would agree with you my friend, especially with substances that occur naturally in nature. Although that doesn't stop me from loving them all.

Heaven is a state of mind and the perspective on the world we see around us.
Sometimes we catch a glimpse of what is possible to experience on this plane of existence, and that glimpse can completely change a person.

The idea that the machine elves experienced on DMT are actually ever present but we lack the ability to see them due to our minds not working on the same level, and DMT gives us a glimpse to this other reality.

I am more for the first one than the second..... The DMT thing was just bantering about theories as to why so many people have this common theme.

I think this kinda stuff is way out there and not very grounded. Certain things interact with other things in many different ways, just because some of those things are pleasant and/or "mind expanding" doesnt mean there is anything else to them. Some of you guys make it sound like the conscience is involved in a huge conspiracy to cover up reality. Like as if theres some unknown universe it never wants us to know about and that when we take these drugs we get these glimpses of truth that it tries to hide as if itself(somehow without"us") has knowledge of sucha place or "plane". Its crazy. When you get too drunk is your blurred vision due to some crazy overlapping or lagging of different "planes" or is it alcohol fucking with the normal funtioning of messages.

All psyches do is warp the message and how you understand it. They dont open up wormholes or some crazy shit.

lol anyway G'Night.

Psychedelics are just molecules which interact with the body producing responses in your body be it from agonism (?) (varying degrees or inverse included) or antagonism (I realize there are other ways to produce biological responses such as inhibiting enzymes). They do beautiful and wondrous things, but it is nothing more than your body producing responses or not producing a response.

Life is meaningless, so everything else on early is meaningless. You choose what is important and what is meaningful, so if psychedelics are an importance and let you perceive life in a profound and beautiful way, no reason not to make them an importance in life, or to use them as a tool for growth.

Last edited:
Psychedelics can make us into anything or nothng. They are one direct route to the self. Not the only....

I think this kinda stuff is way out there and not very grounded. Certain things interact with other things in many different ways, just because some of those things are pleasant and/or "mind expanding" doesnt mean there is anything else to them. Some of you guys make it sound like the conscience is involved in a huge conspiracy to cover up reality. Like as if theres some unknown universe it never wants us to know about and that when we take these drugs we get these glimpses of truth that it tries to hide as if itself(somehow without"us") has knowledge of sucha place or "plane". Its crazy. When you get too drunk is your blurred vision due to some crazy overlapping or lagging of different "planes" or is it alcohol fucking with the normal funtioning of messages.

All psyches do is warp the message and how you understand it. They dont open up wormholes or some crazy shit.

lol anyway G'Night.

Alcohol clouds truth, and IMO alcohol shouldn't be used as an example that psychedelics necessarily cloud truth as well.

I think psychedelics do show some people a glimpse of truth. Our brains are hardwired through evolution and adaptation to only take in the information deemed biologically important for survival, therefore we filter out a lot if reality. It's not a conspiracy to cover up reality, it's a biological mechanism to filter aspects of reality unnecessary for survival. Al though as the OP alludes to, these aspects of reality may be useful in our evolution.

Through the human minds evolution and progression I believe many people are able to beneficially use psychedelics and get a glimpse of truth, but as a whole the entire human race is not biologically capable of handling all of this information.

This reminds of Aldous Huxley's book "The Doors of Perception", with his theory of "mind-at-large".

To quote Theophastrus from his post on "The Main Psychedelic Thought Loop Thread" on post 109

"Some ideas on the origin of psychedelic thought loops:

According to pharmacological research, "LSD acts to preferentially inhibit serotonergic cell firing while sparing postsynaptic serotonergic receptors from upregulation/downregulation." Most of the brain's serotonin is produced by neurons that originate in the raphe nuclei (RN), and whose primary target is "the locus coeruleus (LC), which controls the release of norepinephrine, which regulates the sympathetic nervous system. The LC also has neurons that extend into the cerebellum, thalamus, hypothalamus, cerebral cortex, and hippocampus. The RN extends its projections into the brainstem and up into the brain. It has been suggested that neurons in this brain region may inhibit sensation, thus protecting the brain from sensory overload."

This data ostensibly serves as physiological proof of Bergson's theory of consciousness (outlined by Aldous Huxley in The Doors of Perception), which suggests that although the human mind is capable of experiencing infinity, such a perception is not conducive to everyday survival. Thus, the brain (perhaps through its serotonergic system) serves as a filtering valve that only allows us to experience the perceptive data that it deems practically important at any given moment.
"

I think it is very likely that psychedelics open our filtering valves in our mind and allow us to experience more of reality, so I agree that the OP's suggestion is probably correct. Remember Shulgin's rating scale?

"PLUS FOUR (++++) A rare and precious transcendental state, which has been called a 'peak experience', a 'religious experience,' 'divine transformation,' a 'state of Samādhi' and many other names in other cultures. It is not connected to the +1, +2, and +3 of the measuring of a drug's intensity. It is a state of bliss, a participation mystique, a connectedness with both the interior and exterior universes, which has come about after the ingestion of a psychedelic drug, but which is not necessarily repeatable with a subsequent ingestion of that same drug. If a drug (or technique or process) were ever to be discovered which would consistently produce a plus four experience in all human beings, it is conceivable that it would signal the ultimate evolution, and perhaps the end, of the human experiment."

Last edited:
Wow quite the debate
do the drugs hardwire certin parts of the brain together or short out receptors to make the brain just have fun while under the influence as Nat Geo's show on acid alludes too or are we thinning out the membrane of realidty and seeing a glimpse of teh other side? Is there even another side? Too bad we won't know till we get there. and the thing that sucks is once we find out we can't send a message back. if we could u could get the real anwser on th e2bc fly thing thread. neither the less. one day guess were see. untill then as alex grey refers to where is the 3 diminional space I travel to in my dreams? and on the few occasions in my life where I met some other intelligent being in a deep dream state without the help of any chemical. (no miss firing of recptors there) So if our brain has the power to transport us somewhere in a dream state why can't it be logical with the help of lucy one can thin that same membrane of realidty. personally Im quite green when it comes to spending time in wonderland (only a few times) however no one on tv, or any other media outlet can say i didnt witness what could be described as key to everything appearing out of thin air materializing out of nothing with symbols I never knew or studied which I also knew was the mathamatical key to it all encompassing chaos and luck all in one key all realated all equally balanced at the harvest fest over the lake 2 years ago. I'm not sure if misfiring of recptors can equate to this when I understood what i saw even if i couldnt read it

Well my take on psychedelics is that they bring out ourself. Everyone creates this personal bubble around them, you let some people come closer to your bubble than others but when you are on psychedelics the bubble pops and you are left there naked and free.
I don't know how much of this makes sense because I am high right now but yeah.

I disagree with the theory that they are put here for a reason, just like I disagree with any other theory of premeditated design.
Things that can be accomplished with psychedelics can also be accomplished sober but with techniques like information deprivation, information overload and meditation, only not nearly as quickly.
The effects correspond with certain physical properties that are nothing more than chemical coincedences. There are so very very many compounds used by biological systems to make them run it's hardly surprising that sometime or another they cross each others paths. Eventually I believe we are discovering the true reasons for these compounds being in nature like cannabinoid receptor response originating in sea squirts we evolved from while cannabinoids give cannabis plants the advantage of being a defense mechanism in more than one way.
In other cases tryptamines can be a plants way of making its own hormones, being precursor building blocks for its own metabolism. Other compounds like in cacti are probably psychoactive in us because they are psychoactive in animals that would want to eat it. Animals can't deal with the effects while humans can.

It's human projection and selective perception to ignore the billions of other compounds that have no psychoactive properties and attach meaning to the ones that do, meaning that exists nowhere except in our own experience and convictions. The reason we don't know the true cause of each and every psychoactive compound being there is because we are not done researching them. For us, everything not yet explainable by science is magical. One of the few things I think we and our science and Aristotelian way of thinking have the wrong approach about is the metaphysical nature of reality.

Last edited:
This is amazing because if you watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E62nkpcWNo4 this whole video you will be explained that a part of the brain we considered "useless" has recently been sort of describes as the psychedelic part of the brain and also may hold many many many answers to our questions. I think this scientist is onto something and it was quite educational to watch.

The whole pineal gland DMT idea is an interesting notion, the egyptian association is intriguing but there is hardly evidence for a sound theory, only something vague pointing towards a transcendental truth.
There is all the more evidence that there is no seat of consciousness, but consciousness is the sum of the parts of nervous electrical activity in concert. Proprioception derived from the senses, parts to make you move, parts that support you actually feeling awake. It's a sliding scale, the more parts working properly and the more active they are the more and wide your consciousness is. DMT may play a role in your construction of the idea of a coherent reality and distorting that produces severe derealization... but that is not the same as consciousness. It's an interconnected web that forms it together but no true absolute single source. It's a sliding scale whether one is conscious or not rather than a property that flips the switch. That is what all the evidence points to.
Psychedelics can distort and overactivate these systems that work together forming consciousness which makes it unsurprising that during the experience you feel more awake and broadly conscious than ever. Some parts of the brain may become actually less active giving a deeply meditative effect because they normally produce thoughts that only superfluously complicate our conscious awareness of just 'what is'. Doesn't that make a whole lot of sense? I think it does more than these wild theories that point to something amazing but in the end prove nothing.

Ancient egyptian or maya customs, theories and rituals are intriguing and fascinating but without advanced experimentation far too simplistic in their understanding of this complex field of knowledge. Not trying to generalize that they are all dead wrong of course. I'm sure their advanced level of civilization has given them profound insight in some things.

Last edited:
The whole pineal gland DMT idea is an interesting notion, the egyptian association is intriguing but there is hardly evidence for a sound theory, only something vague pointing towards a transcendental truth.
There is all the more evidence that there is no seat of consciousness, but consciousness is the sum of the parts of nervous electrical activity in concert. Proprioception derived from the senses, parts to make you move, parts that support you actually feeling awake. It's a sliding scale. DMT may play a role in your construction of the idea of a coherent reality and distorting that produces severe derealization... but that is not the same as consciousness. It's an interconnected web that forms it together but no true absolute single source. It's a sliding scale whether one is conscious or not rather than a property that flips the switch. That is what all the evidence points to.

Ancient egyptian or maya customs, theories and rituals are intriguing and fascinating but without advanced experimentation far too simplistic in their understanding of this complex field of knowledge.

Wow wish I could have explained it like you did... Once upon a time I was highly intelligent until I started loosing rapid braincells. Oh well, thank you for clarifying what I failed to explain =D

happy holidays strange guy! <3
thanks for appreciating my opinion.

Im taking the time out to say I love the psychedelic culture and all of its members, I have made some very close friends by tripping and I know you guys know the same bond im talking about.
Happy holidays to you all.

Me personally on christmas day me and my friends are all trip on the same dose at the same time when our family stuff is done with.

Is anyone else doing anything like this?

^I'll probably be tripping on 5mg of DOM on christmas. :)

Great vibes on Christmas day; nobody is out hustling around, the daily grind has come to a halt, and for a few moments everything seems to be at peace. :) <3

<3 The Holiday Season.