• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

(Theists Preferred) is it okay to modify/update a promise to God?

User145667

Bluelighter
A couple of years ago, after having a flashback to a really bad trip from a few months earlier, I promised God that I'd stay away from psychedelics from now on. But at the time, for all intents and purposes, the only psychedelic i had experienced was LSD (tried DMT a few times but never broke through, so not worth counting that).

So I feel like it would be fair to update the promise as "I won't ever do LSD again" specifically. Yes, I made the promise rashly (which i guess is why the Bible says saya to avoid doing such things, see Ecclesiastes 5:2-6). But these days, I have an opportunity to finally try shrooms and I am reading that they have unique benefits towards anxiety and depression (plus, I won't lie, I just have a hankering to trip again) that other psychs don't. Not to mention, I want to be able to have the option to microdose, and at least try a diverse range of psychedelics before I die (which was always the eventual plan, in my mind).

But I guess what I am saying is that the intent would have been more for LSD anyways, considering it was the only psychedelic I had fully experienced (about 10 or so times). So wouldn't it be fair to clarify/update the promise as being only about LSD specifically?

Thanks

A couple of years ago, after having a flashback to a really bad trip from a few months earlier, I promised God that I'd stay away from psychedelics from now on. But at the time, for all intents and purposes, the only psychedelic i had experienced was LSD (tried DMT a few times but never broke through, so not worth counting that).

So I feel like it would be fair to update the promise as "I won't ever do LSD again" specifically. Yes, I made the promise rashly (which i guess is why the Bible says saya to avoid doing such things, see Ecclesiastes 5:2-6). But these days, I have an opportunity to finally try shrooms and I am reading that they have unique benefits towards anxiety and depression (plus, I won't lie, I just have a hankering to trip again) that other psychs don't. Not to mention, I want to be able to have the option to microdose, and at least try a diverse range of psychedelics before I die (which was always the eventual plan, in my mind).

But I guess what I am saying is that the intent would have been more for LSD anyways, considering it was the only psychedelic I had fully experienced (about 10 or so times). So wouldn't it be fair to clarify/update the promise as being only about LSD specifically?

Thanks
I'm a "theist".

Pray, pray, pray. If you're gonna try 'rooms, keep asking God to guide you and make it right and good.
One of the best trips I ever had was taking 'rooms when I knew it would be a long time until I could do that again, and praying for a few hours before that it be a productive, learning, experience. It was.

Sounds like you are wanting to do it for constructive purposes. Pray for guidance, be open, and even if the answer is "no" it won't likely be a slap.

It is usually our own conscience that makes such judgements. So there is where the work is. If you are sincere then you allow yourself to indulge with what you want too. No one allows it for you. And trust me, if you would forgive someone for trying again then forgive yourself trying again. You are not offending anyone or anything other than yourself and if you make peace with it then you are good to go. It really is that simple.

You can trip again. LSD is a holy substance. Just pray to god before every trip and ask to be guided by the light and the love and to help you grow. Accept what you ever face. It brings up alot of dark shadows to help us grow into a better person. Used wisely these tools will enchance your life.

I always pray before shrooms and bless them.

Honestly I always give thanks to when I indulge in a psychedelic (or eat or a lot of things) . Just to the Universe. I am not big on an external being judging me, if anything I think God is our Higher Self always guiding. I guess that could be a theist. I just know there is way more to the picture than my small mind can comprehend. I have seen clues in Nature. And I love how every single one of us is on the edge of the future at every moment. Makes me think time comes from us too.

But I always use myself as a way to examine an action. If I could forgive someone else for something, why would I not forgive myself? We are hardest on ourselves.

Interesting thread. Should be discussed more as we all have that side to us that we do not really talk about. The unspoken actions. :)

Proabably need to ask God if that's ok.

I just have a Jesus avatar, and I think it's fine to do.

I wish fundamentalist Christians didn't give the rest a bad name.
I love how John Lennon was so so down that he wrote such a powerful song. We all feel it at times. The tribal scream I could do without though. I think he was into that type of therapy at that point according to the literature.

I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in I-Ching
I don't believe in Bible
I don't believe in tarot
I don't believe in Hitler
I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedy
I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in yoga
I don't believe in kings
I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles

I just believe in me
Yoko and me
And that's reality

I love how John Lennon was so so down that he wrote such a powerful song. We all feel it at times. The tribal scream I could do without though. I think he was into that type of therapy at that point according to the literature.
At the time, you bought albums and not songs. Couldn't skip around on the album either. If you bought a John Lennon album, you knew that you were going to get about 1/2 of John's genius but about 1/2 of Yoko Oh-No!

Nothing against Yoko. John loved her, and her art was OK. But, she couldn't sing and should not have been allowed to.

"I was the walrus, but now I'm John"

Last edited:
what's the utility or wisdom of making promises? we are dynamic beings. we can grow/ change. seems making a promise is the first step toward breaking a promise. no thanks.

I'm not a theist, but I can provide some insights that may be useful. The question of whether it's okay to modify or update a promise to God can be complex and depends on several factors, including one's religious tradition, personal beliefs, and the nature of the promise.
  1. Nature of the Promise: Some promises or vows are considered more solemn and unalterable than others. In certain religious traditions, making a vow to God is a serious commitment that should not be taken lightly or altered.
  2. Theological Beliefs: In some theistic perspectives, God is seen as omniscient and would already know your intentions, struggles, and future actions. From this viewpoint, the act of promising is more for the individual's spiritual discipline rather than for God's benefit.
  3. Repentance and Forgiveness: Many religious traditions have mechanisms for repentance and forgiveness. If a promise is broken, these traditions often provide a pathway for making amends and seeking forgiveness, either through prayer, confession, or other acts.
  4. Consult Spiritual Leaders: If you are wrestling with this issue, you may find it beneficial to consult with a spiritual leader in your religious tradition. They can provide guidance tailored to your specific situation and belief system.
  5. Ethical Implications: If the promise has ethical or moral dimensions that affect other people, consider the broader impacts of modifying or breaking it.
  6. Personal Integrity: Keep in mind that the act of making, keeping, or breaking a promise can have implications for your own sense of integrity and character, regardless of religious considerations.
  7. Dynamic Relationship: Some people see their relationship with God as dynamic and evolving, where honest dialogue, even about broken promises, is a part of spiritual growth.
In summary, the permissibility of modifying or updating a promise to God can vary depending on many factors. If you find yourself needing to reconsider a vow or promise, it may be best to consult with spiritual advisors and engage in personal reflection to arrive at the best course of action according to your beliefs.

I want to clarify that the opinions and thoughts I've expressed are my own and were formed after doing extensive research on the subject. They are not copied and pasted from any other source. While I've consulted various materials to inform my understanding, the conclusions I've drawn are based on my own analysis and reflection.