Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television The Wire

Opi_Kid_Rock

Bluelighter
Hello BL Fam,

I’ve never watched the tv series ‘The Wire’ before. Why do you think it’s rated so highly?

Most of the storylines were pretty well-written (imo), it touched upon socioeconomic topics and larger issues in ways that were very intelligent but never felt overbearing, or conceited or smug while doing it...the characterizations in the show were all very true-to-life, in that the main characters were mostly complex people, with good characters committing bad acts, or bad characters doing something good once in a while, so it's morally complex and feels more realistic in that respect

The character of Omar was really well done I thought, he's probably the most famous character of the show...the world of The Wire, at least the bits revolving around the drug trade in inner city Baltimore, was divided in two, between law enforcement and the drug trafficking organizations. But Omar kind of represented his own, third way, where he preyed upon the drug dealers and lived in a bunch of condemned buildings with a bunch of hunky dudes he'd bring through lol. He was the most liberated figure in the show I think, a great outlaw character. His fate, which I won't spoil in case you ever watch it, was also very appropriate. Michael K. Williams was fantastic in that role

The way the show covered sexuality was very well done too, I thought, as there were gay and lesbian characters in the show, and that was part of who their characters were as people but never presented in any kind of "virtue signalling" kind of way

Season 3 is my favorite from the show, and it's also the one that probably best encapsulates the show's philosophy regarding the drug war etc. It's a classic, the "Hamsterdam" storyline. (Hamsterdam in the show was an open air drug market in Baltimore which was able to operate, and eventually become highly developed from an HR standpoint, due to an agreement with law enforcement). It was art transmitting a revolutionary idea in a very plausible and realistic, grounded way (but still ultimately worthy of endorsement) to a wider audience...I love that season

I could say even more but I won't lol. As you can probably tell I really liked that show, it's without a doubt one of the best pieces of film or TV done about drugs IMO

It's just an extremely well written show that just seems to nail everything. People often say that it's more than just a TV show or something, and they're probably right, but even when just taken as a TV show, story, characters, dialogues.. it's top tier and some of the most fun you can have watching TV imo. It's funny, so clever, extremely consistent in quality of episodes and storylines (even S5 which is touted as the worst of the bunch is still excellent) and I can't think of anything that annoyed me throughout or something that felt too forced or whatever.

I was too young when I first watched season 1 and never really got into it, but a couple years later (with a lot more TV experience) I gave it another shot and it blew me away. Rewatches in the years after might've been even better.

A friend of mine was watching season 2 recently, went over to his place for the last 3 episodes which was awesome, we didn't say a word.

It really is the writing.

I'm rewatching it too, for the third or fourth time now. I always forget small details and I enjoy reliving all the 2000s technology, fashion, and cultural stuff.

(RIP Michael Williams. I blame the lawmakers for your departure.)
The man was an admitted addict who went on to do a gonzo show about drugs, dealers and addicts.

Probably impossible to divvy up blame in that situation... other than the insidious nature of addiction itself.

The man was an admitted addict who went on to do a gonzo show about drugs, dealers and addicts.

Probably impossible to divvy up blame in that situation... other than the insidious nature of addiction itself.
Very true, but if opiates were between a person and his doctor (or walk in clinic) who is free to prescribe and help that person then he very well may be alive. I blame the lawmakers in that the drug war has caused a super potent opiate to flood the streets and kill people because people can't get the correct treatment from doctors or clinics. We need more options that methadone and bupe. In other words a real deterrent from going to the streets for drugs.

I imagine the legal heroin in the UK has resulted in less fentanyl deaths. Is that a statistic yet?

I often wonder that if all opiates were legal and free to distribute if fentanyl would still flood the streets. I mean I am sure it would. I imagine if a person could get heroin that fentanyl would disappear. Of course there are people that would still use it.

great show. toutet to be obamas favorite show. theres a great mashup in some episode from blues brothers and ill be watching you...

toutet to be obamas favorite show.
I thought you were joking, lol. I had no idea this was true.

I loved The Wire, but admittedly lost interest after season 4.

Season 2 is considered the worst but was actually my favorite.

Have been nagged for what seems like eternity to watch this by many people

Finally relented and am almost at the end of S1 and it's living up the the hype - genius stuff

I had a hard time even starting The Wire. That whole camera swinging thing seemed to start with NYPD Blue. Gave me a headache. But once I started it I stayed with it.

It is sort of interesting a lot of actors were from areas no where near Baltimore (or even US) and did a great job of giving it that Baltimore vibe. Example, Alden Gillen playing Tommy Carcetti is also Abarama Gold in Peaky Blinders. International actors making it Baltimore shows acting talent.