• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

"The Secret"

^ That is EXACTLY what they're saying, yes. In fact they go so far as to insinuate that you are overweight in the first place due to negative faulty thinking. You're thinking like a 'fat person'.

And yes, you can think yourself thin, quit smoking, cure disease, infertility, eyesight, get yourself a powerboat, a parking space, whatever you want. Just by thinking. And by surrounding yourself with the effects/atmosphere of already having what you want (for example if it's a powerboat you want, you might purchase a powerboat key and hang it on your keyring) in order to aid this thinking, which basically compells the universe to fulfill the 'prophecy'.

It's come under a LOT of criticism particularly about the curing disease stuff!

Personally for me its best to just set my mind to what im doing and do it confidently rather than 'think positively'. I find that if i think about it i start overthinking.

Has anyone read the section on Affirmations in Scott Adams' book The Dilbert Future?

The secret..........You wannna know what the secret is?

I will tell you what the secret is.

I can assure you its not written in the book or told to you on the dvd.

The secret is that this is just another bullshit motivational speech with quite excellent marketing and the people behind it are making a crap load of dollars.

Ooooops, I guess I have always been bad at keeping secrets.

My best mate's mum actually gave him the book to read and the dvd for him and his girlfriend to watch, I read about half of it (in 5mins!!) and it made me want to rip my hair out in frustration knowing it was the new best seller..

There is a part where a guy needs a carpark for work everyday and he learned through the power of the secret that he merely need to visualise a car park where he wanted and it would appear 95% of the time all the time!!

IMO the secret purely early 21st Century hokum maskeraded as new age philophical thought!! The ideas are rediculous, positive thinking is nothing new, this book seriously promotes just thinking something good will happen and then it will miraculously through the power of positive thinking alone!!!!!!!

It is new age 'philosophy' at its best, comparable with the beginnings of other cult-like psudo religious followings such as scientology - scientology started in the exact same way that the Secret has, save for the dvd element

Last edited:
From what i read on wiki (link supplied by preacha), the essential idea - positive thinking, is just common sense... after all, it's a pretty bad idea to fill your mind with negative thoughts. The part i don't agree with is encouraging people to believe that thought and thought alone is the key to realising your wildest dreams...i'm sorry, but if you eat shit and don't excercise, you'll continue to gain weight, if you're predisposed to doing so. If you don't work on a job application, you won't get your dream job.... shit, i'd love to be able to visualise a job app. into reality and have attempted to do so on many occasions ;) so i know it doesn't work. Positive thoughts lead to positive action, which, IMO is essential to attaining goals.

Hmmm, i want to be a doctor...i'm going to buy a stethoscope and wear it around my neck, i'm going to take peoples' temperatures and think about being a doctor and how great it will be, and soon i'll be a doctor! Put that in your pipe and smoke it, all you stupid heads who actually went to university for years and years to earn a PhD! =D

The concept of positive thinking and its effect is very old skool and works very well.

The addition of a vague spiritual twist and removing the 'its going to be hard' part seems like a marketing scam aimed at lazy new-age wannbe middle America. People will swallow this shit because they desperately want it to be true.

My personal experience with positive thinking is that I begin an undertaking with pure faith that I will/must succeed and as I progress the chasm between my beliefs and the reality of the situation creates energy I can always tap for emotional/creative/intellectual/willpower purposes. I've had this conversation with a number of high achievers and they've all said similar things. The real trick is to be able to believe

samadhi said:
Hmmm, i want to be a doctor...i'm going to buy a stethoscope and wear it around my neck, i'm going to take peoples' temperatures and think about being a doctor and how great it will be, and soon i'll be a doctor! Put that in your pipe and smoke it, all you stupid heads who actually went to university for years and years to earn a PhD! =D

LOL!!! I think ima try this too.

I want to be .... a supermodel! =D I'll just get me a lifesize portrait of Kate Moss and stick it over my mirror where my reflection used to be, and sit down and think really supermodelly thoughts. ;)

m4dd0g said:
removing the 'its going to be hard' part

That's what I think they've done too, and therein lies the marketing genuis - it's like those abcrunchers or miracle celulite pills which promise the world with no effort. They don't focus on the boring yet vital part (you need to exercise and eat well too) just like this concept declines to mention that Action is a vital part of getting what you want in life.

It plays to the armchair dreamer in all of us.

Remove the word "The Universe" in all of the literature and replace it with "God" and you basically have a religion. Sit back, believe, and "The Universe" will provide. But cleverly propped up with a bit of pseudo-science (the law of attraction).

I can't say it's entirely a bad thing if people are using it to better their lives, in whatever fashion that's happening. It just leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth that so many people have profitted from what's essentially a really old idea dressed differently.

Last edited:
samadhi said:

If it works in Neighbours...;)

The Chaser did a great piss-take of the "secret".

I love the scene where they "visualise" a car park being available and just swing the wheel, and end up ramming someone else's car!

Anyone have a link?

Ok I have tested the theory as per the Secret and I can confirm its bullshit

Ever since last night I have been thinking about a situation in my loungeroom whereby a naked Jennifer Hawkins is on all fours with a gag in her mouth whilst Delta Goodrem shags her doggystyle with strap on whilst singing 'We Will Rock You' by queen only to have Lleyton Hewitt in the corner of the room interrupting every 90 seconds by shouting 'COOOME ONNN!'

I have asked the universe for it... I have thought about and I guarantee you I have imagined it happening and still its not happening in my loungeroom

^ Actually it did happen.

But i spent all last night imagining that you were sitting there in your living room unable to hear or see it happening

A busker on Swanston St told me this "secret" a couple of years ago. I guess he visualised standing on the street corner asking people for money.

I agree that being negative can prevent you from achieving things, but aside from that... I think Oprah is such a newb.

My mum and sister never shut up about this, they think they are so cool talking about it but i think its a load of shit.
I want and endless supply of money, Ive tried hard to acheive this with no luck....the secret is a hoax.

I just don't understand how people can be amazed and enthusiastic about THE SAME SHIT OVER AND OVER.

You can choose to believe anything you want to imo. Doesn't make it true. Whatever makes you happy i guess :) i struggle to be able to put my total belief into anything. Everything has flaws. Guess it just depends how much you want to believe it, to ignore those flaws or not.

I think it's a good thing if you can take something positive from these books, just so long as your not being brainwashed.