Votes: 3 10.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
There is little distinction between buying a book from a chain, buying it on-line, or buying it from a small family owned business. Some people might disagree with me on the last one, but they don't really exist any more. I've never seen one, anyway. A privately owned book store. So there's no way to buy physical books, that I'm aware of, without buying them from a "greenhead". Capitalism is capitalism. You can draw the line between large companies and small companies, but you just end up with categories defined by the degree of wrong that you can tolerate. Hunter made a lot of money. He was a good writer, but he wasn't adverse to the idea of profit. There's this recurring hypocrisy in the art world. People start out wanting to express how they feel. Young artists, proving themselves. And how they feel is the truth at that point. That power corrupts and money is evil. Then they get an audience. They get paid to talk about how money is evil. Writers, artists, they are corporations selling words. The distinction between a man and an organization is arbitrary, just as the distinction between a large corporation and a small corporation is arbitrary. They're all interested in profit. They are just restricted by their limitations. Hunter is a small family owned business. He is also walmart. Capitalism is capitalism. If you partake in it, then you are part of it. Anarchists don't exist. The idea of a political anarchist party is contradictory. So is the idea of functioning in a capitalist nation without being a capitalist. It seems to me that writers consciously criticize themselves while criticizing the rest of the world. They are the self-observational part of the problem. Not separate. Not the part that fixes it. There is no fixing it in the present. Real-time self-awareness has no practical function. It is anomalous; unnecessary; entertaining. The messages of great fiction cannot be translated words into things. While we can see the future, through prophecy, change is too gradual to actually experience. The crystal ball is always a couple of steps ahead of us. Writers; prophets; philosophers; musicians; capitalist observationalists. Call them what you will. They aren't exempt. They live physically in one period of time and mentally in another. Maybe that's why so many of them go crazy; because they are ahead of their time, and therefore, incompatible with it.

JohnnyDeppasPaulKempinTHERUMDIARY_rgb_a_l.jpg

they could have sold it on depp + "that guy from the dark knight" + the genuinely intriguing story
but no, they lamed out with bullshit :X shows what they think of the audience :!

^This would have sold more tickets and repeat customers too. Seriously, wtf Twitter Nation.

i was really looking forward to seeing this, a dozen years ago. last night, the person i was picking a movie with agreed we'd go with The Rum Diary if we couldn't find anything else. i was drunk and don't remember much to say about it. fizzle.

should be more about chenault and ice. a quiet underwater shot of lobster hunting would have been nice. the fast pace and focus on plot ruins the tone. amber heard looks good.

I went into this with fairly low expectations and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was really good as a movie and still surprisingly decent as a book adaptation. It has been a couple years since I read the book and I found myself being reminded often of things that I had enjoyed from it. Not just in broad strokes either, but in the general mood and ambiance of the situations.

If I could point out a particular difference between the two it would be their style of humor. The book is a comedy at heart but it does it in a darker and more subtle way. The movie basically takes that comedic aspect and expands it into an oddball romp.

Each is good as its own, but I'd have to prefer the book. But no surprise there really, it couldn't have been any other way.

There is little distinction between buying a book from a chain, buying it on-line, or buying it from a small family owned business. Some people might disagree with me on the last one, but they don't really exist any more. I've never seen one, anyway. A privately owned book store. So there's no way to buy physical books, that I'm aware of, without buying them from a "greenhead". Capitalism is capitalism. You can draw the line between large companies and small companies, but you just end up with categories defined by the degree of wrong that you can tolerate. Hunter made a lot of money. He was a good writer, but he wasn't adverse to the idea of profit. There's this recurring hypocrisy in the art world. People start out wanting to express how they feel. Young artists, proving themselves. And how they feel is the truth at that point. That power corrupts and money is evil. Then they get an audience. They get paid to talk about how money is evil. Writers, artists, they are corporations selling words. The distinction between a man and an organization is arbitrary, just as the distinction between a large corporation and a small corporation is arbitrary. They're all interested in profit. They are just restricted by their limitations. Hunter is a small family owned business. He is also walmart. Capitalism is capitalism. If you partake in it, then you are part of it. Anarchists don't exist. The idea of a political anarchist party is contradictory. So is the idea of functioning in a capitalist nation without being a capitalist. It seems to me that writers consciously criticize themselves while criticizing the rest of the world. They are the self-observational part of the problem. Not separate. Not the part that fixes it. There is no fixing it in the present. Real-time self-awareness has no practical function. It is anomalous; unnecessary; entertaining. The messages of great fiction cannot be translated words into things. While we can see the future, through prophecy, change is too gradual to actually experience. The crystal ball is always a couple of steps ahead of us. Writers; prophets; philosophers; musicians; capitalist observationalists. Call them what you will. They aren't exempt. They live physically in one period of time and mentally in another. Maybe that's why so many of them go crazy; because they are ahead of their time, and therefore, incompatible with it.

JohnnyDeppasPaulKempinTHERUMDIARY_rgb_a_l.jpg

I disagree, I think any profitable business is just that, in it for the money. Anything they do to help people is a coincidence and would not occur if it didn't make them money. Artists on the other hand, albeit making money off people, also want to improve or add or influence. The good they do is conscious for the sake of doing the good, now this excludes 'abstract paintings' and 'radio music' but there are many bands out there that aren't rich or anything and just love playing music. Same goes for writers, I mean here you are expressing your opinion. Is anyone paying you to do this? No. But you're doing it, and it's as much art as anything else is. I mean you're a Capitalist living in a Capitalist state, but your involvement in Capitalism doesn't mean all your actions stem from Capitalism.
I can see what you're trying to say, but I disagree when you say the difference between making money while helping people and helping people to make money is arbitrary.
I can't be fucked discussing this though, I just don't care for it. Capitalist democracy is an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

Last edited:
Very disappointing. :\

Some humorous parts but overall a cheesy film, with Johnny (Overrated) Depp giving another weak performance.

Late to the party, I finally found the time to watch this. The word mediocre is made for this movie, it is a solid C. I am surprised that Johnny Depp and Bruce Robinson of Withnail and I fame made this film. It is a beautiful visual film but plot wise it is trash, they tried mixing up Hollywood cliches and Hunter s Thompson type zaniness together to in the end please no one. I liked the ending but the first half hour of the film was pure boredom and they skipped the airplane scene Thompson said would be perfect for the big screen!

What the hell where they thinking when they made this? It was never going to please the hollywood crowd why did they try to cram a love story and some political intrigue into it? So disappointing. Did anyone else think the guy who played Kemps friend sounded and looked just like Dr Gonzo in Fear and Loathing? I was surprised it wasn't Benicio Del Toro when I looked at the credits.

^

Not to say this is a fantastic movie but the book did revolve pretty heavily around a love story and the political elements of neocolonialism.

Note - I haven't read the the novel, so not considering that aspect for how I felt about the movie

I recently saw it (A week or so ago I believe) on netflix. I was honestly a little surprised that I didn't even realize the movie had been in theaters then released on DVD before I saw it being offered on Netflix. I heard about the possibility/the start of production of the movie years ago but I guess forgot about it completely.

Anyway, I really like the first half of the movie, essentially till HST and coworker went offer to party with Sanderson and girlfriend. At that point the story began to seem very rushed at times, leading to a very abrupt ending that wasn't that exciting to watch. Through out the whole movie I thought the acting was great, and the characters were very interesting to watch, but was really expecting more out of the actual story/plot.

I'd still suggest people to go see it, but wouldn't hype it up to much. A good film, but not a fantastic film. Deep played the part wonderfully being the awesome actor that he is, but he was limited by much of the writing.