Last Day of Freedom

=============================

FILM EDITING

The Big Short

Mad Max: Fury Road - WINNER

The Revenant

Spotlight

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Given the scope of what mad max won how did in not take director.. also mad max not on cinematography?

Given my long standing stance and effort against racism on BL.. I will just throw this out there.. nominees should be based off performance and not race.. so quit begging already CR? Should we be compelled to include performances determined by culture and skin culture instead of the power of their work?

What was with the whole consent speech by Joe Biden, followed up by all those women with texter marks on their arms? Are these social issues often brought up at the Oscars? I never watch it... but caught a glimpse today and had no idea what was going on.

It's a shame Sicario didn't win any awards, I thought that was such a fantastic film but I don't think it's cinematography had a chance against The Revenant. And Leo's win didn't surprise me; I think everyone expected it.

I haven't seen any of these movies.....damn I need to watch more movies.

^
As far as the Oscars go it's usually a matter of going to the theater often. I guess you can get movies before they're out of the theater now though, so maybe that's changing.

There were a few movies that were nominated that didn't come to any of the movie theaters around here. A few came to some artsy theaters, but I've never been to one of them. They're a few towns over and the times they've had movies playing never synced with my schedule. I was lucky that the theater in town showed a special showing of The Big Short on a night that I was already planning to go to the movie theater.

I was pretty off the mark with my predictions. Even though it didn't get best picture, cinematography, or director, I'm glad Mad Max won a few categories. At least The Big Short won at least one Oscar. Under-appreciated film imo. I think it'll get more popular once more people see it. I really want to see it a second time.

Also, yay Leo!

What do you all think about a new category for awards... something like most socially influencing or some such category. An award that honors Films that attempt to address problems we all face?

What do you all think about a new category for awards... something like most socially influencing or some such category. An award that honors Films that attempt to address problems we all face?

That's what they use Best Picture for now. Spotlight was only the third or fourth best film nominated but it won because it was socially relevant/had a political message. So I think it would be a good idea.

BEST PICTURE
Spotlight

Although it would be interesting to see DiCaprio win for the Actor in a Leading Role.

Yes, definitely a new category for these films with a strong political message, relevant.

Last edited:
giphy-4-1.gif

i went 5 for 7.

really glad to see leo decaprio take best actor.

great night "mad max: fury road" - 6 oscars!

alasdair

Nice win for Leo. Made some of the more enjoyable films ive seen in the last 15 years or so.

Mad max was incredible all around, great movie. very artsy and gritty. the cinematography blew me away but it was such a fun and entertaining film. All the elements came together perfectly. prob should have won best picture.

Haven't seen a lot on the list, but seems they got a few things right. good stuff. %)

nice picks ali.

But can you imagine a room full of more narcissistic weirdos than this? (I didn't understand the context at first, but now I do.....). Its like the ultimate pissing contest in American culture. "Best costume? That's production design"....zzzzzzzz). Christ guys, its not like most of you can do Shakespeare. Maybe Rylance.
And a few others.

There's also a Technical Oscars held on a different night.

But she scooped an Oscar for her work. If she gave a cent about what people thought of her attire she would have dressed up?

But she scooped an Oscar for her work. If she gave a cent about what people thought of her attire she would have dressed up?

Oh I agree. Its more telling of people's reactions to her though. Maybe after a certain point of going to all these award ceremonies, by the time you get to the Oscars you're just pissed off, but I don't think that's the case. My point was more to the fact the majority of people in the room aren't really there because of their artistic merit. Maybe they should just do a ROAR, and not let in all the people who don't bother dressing up. Send the Oscar in the mail or something. Formal wear required.

Its not the greatest horror show the Oscars have ever seen tho. Again, its like a huge room full of rehab'd Coke addicts. There's been bigger trainwrecks.

This reminds me of when Matt Stone and Trey Parker went to the Oscars wearing dress's and high on acid back in 2000.

you get more attention if you don't dress up..

(I went 4/7 + picked Amy for best doc)

I was expecting more reality from Amy. It wasn't bad but it was for me a bit shallow.