• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery The Orange Man Cometh- To Painful One

Any advise on how I can get down the dosage of Subutex?
Everyone says “less is more” with buprenorphine, but I am finding that more is more.
I start going into the full blown sweats, can’t sleep, can’t eat, withdrawal symptoms...when I try to go lower.
I am also managing chronic pain with this now.
The doctors will not prescribe me morphine anymore...they say that bupe is all they can give me now.
The law has changed (at least in my state) and the medical people can only give opiates/ opioids to people dying from cancer.

I still have chronic pain that I must manage....or the same thing happens.
Sweating, can’t eat, can’t sleep, just hurting all the time.

I guess we will see what my doctor says when I go back.
Damn I feel for you. Being in pain and trying to stop opiates is going to be tough. I know because I have Multiple Sclerosis, but I found that once off opiates the pain actually went away for the most part. It's crazy how that works, but it's true. When I was on heroin my body was super sensitive to pain and now after only a little over a month, the sensitivity is gone. I've tried to quit multiple times through the years using different things like methadone and buprenorphine and they were way worse than the original addiction. My advice to anybody is to never ever get on methadone unless you want to experience pure agony when you try and stop. Buprenorphine has very long drawn out withdrawals and the depression is horrific. So after 25 years of heroin addiction, the best way to stop is just quit using, plain and simple. Now that you are on buprenorphine the only way out is to taper and tough it out. Just go as slow as you need so you're not to uncomfortable. I'm telling you though when you get to around 2mg you're going to feel so much better. The thing with buprenorphine is the metabolite norbuprenorphine is so much better than buprenorphine, but you have to leave some receptors open for it to work. The way you leave receptors open is by taking a low dose of buprenorphine. I wish you luck and I'm rooting for you. If you need anything just let me know.

Everyone that posts on this thread is going to make it, I just know you are. You guys/gals are a strong bunch and have the will to push through and enjoy a better life.

Congrats and stay strong to all of you. <3
Absolutely! We can help each other to get through this. I'm so glad I stopped using, it's the absolute best decision ever. I can't believe it took so long to realize that. I feel freaking amazing. 36 days clean from heroin with no help from other medications. I now have an awesome job waiting on me. My life is about to completely turn around as long as I can leave heroin alone. I hope I can do it.

Absolutely! We can help each other to get through this. I'm so glad I stopped using, it's the absolute best decision ever. I can't believe it took so long to realize that. I feel freaking amazing. 36 days clean from heroin with no help from other medications. I now have an awesome job waiting on me. My life is about to completely turn around as long as I can leave heroin alone. I hope I can do it.
:cheer:

Congratulations!🎈🎉
I am very happy for you.
It is uplifting for me to hear that you have gotten so much of yourself back!
Even, ready for employment again! Wow!
I am so proud of you!
Well done!
❤️👍❤️

I am hoping to get back to employment and getting out and about again!
I just do not know if I can do it.
I am living in chronic pain due to car accident and I have some traumatic brain injury....
So, I do not know what “recovery” is going to look like for me.
I feel a lot of pressure and hope from my family.

I do not know if it is as easy as switching medications, or quitting medications, for me.
Medication has been the only way I have been able to function at all.

I hope so. I hope maybe things have healed. IDK.
One thing that is giving me a lot of hope, is that my pain level has been better without morphine.

But, I am still requiring 16-24 mg buprenorphine every 8 hours.
The doctor only prescribed me 8 mg 3 times a day.
So, I am using way more than she prescribed. Almost double the dose she prescribed.
I went back to her after 7 days of trying the suboxone and told her this and she said “that is great!”
But, she still wrote the prescription for 8 mg Subutex 3 times a day.
(we changed from suboxone to Subutex due to headache)

I am going to have to show up early.
I hope she is cool with that.
I am doing the best I can, and I am coming from 90 mg morphine use for 15 years.
I tried to call her to ask her about it but she never returned my call.

So....I guess I am doing good.
I hope she doesn’t give me any problems.

Last edited:
Well...I guess I am stabilizing on 16-24 mg every 8 hours.
I am going to try hard to get it down to 16 mg every 8 hours.

That is more than prescribed but it is the best I can do right now.
Coming from 90 mg a day morphine for almost 16 years is hard.

I went in and told her I was needing that much after 7 day trial of Suboxone.
She said that was great!
But still wrote out the prescription for less a day.
I tried to call her about it, no call back.

So....I am doing the best I can and am stabilizing on 16-24 mg every 8 hours.
I will have to go to her early anyway due to my gabapentin needing to be refilled soon.
I don’t see how she can say anything to me since I did come in and tell her AND tried to call her.
I am assuming that they just see how well you do and where you stabilize at.
That is the impression I got from my last appointment, where she said “That is great!”

I am just going to try to wean off the Subutex this weekend, since I have to anyway, and see if maybe I might possibly be alright now, without the Subutex.
My body has gone through a lot of withdrawal already.

I came from 90 mg Morohine.
Been almost a month off that.
Been taking Subutex, only have 2 left.
I am going to taper down over the weekend and see how I feel.

Hoping and praying for the best.

I am just going to try to wean off the Subutex this weekend, since I have to anyway, and see if maybe I might possibly be alright now, without the Subutex.

You will definitely go through withdrawal when you stop the Subutex, but give it time and you will feel better. If I can stop heroin after using for 25 years then anybody can do it. The only thing is the pain you will have to contend with. I'm worried that the pain will be to much without the Subutex. Good luck to you and if you need anything just let me know.

Thank you friends.
I appreciate all your help and friendship.

I guess I am one of the only patients to ever exceed the amount of Subutex given.
Yes, I am a special kind of stupid.
Learned a lesson the extreme Hard Way.

I am back on the Subs and got some sleep finally.
Doing better today.
My body is exhausted.
Chronic pain is flared up.
I will stick to the instructions like glue.

Holy shit!
I really, really hope that I have not gotten into something worse.
Switching morphine for subs, but it is all they are allowing doctors to prescribe.
It is all I have, so, got to make the best of it.

Hanging in there ☹️

im 21 months of subutex first 7 days are the worst i used valium and gabapentin for first 7 days and now clean so gd luck if you really want it go for it

I just want to say Happy New Year to the posters, and thank you for putting it all out there. I think I’ll find it much easier coping with my recovery reading everyone’s stories. Helps knowing I’m not alone. ❤️

Tomorrow will be 14 months sober, and I mean off of everything, not even substitution meds, weed or booze. I'm so grateful. The catalyst, {this time} was that I ended up taking all my wife's pain meds after her mastectomy surgery for breast cancer. And because she was still in pain, I even called her doctor for her and said she ran out and needs more, then proceeded to take all of those. The guilt from that is something I'll never really get over. So yeah, I need to be done with this once and for all. Me and opioids are a bad combo.

Tomorrow will be 14 months sober, and I mean off of everything, not even substitution meds, weed or booze. I'm so grateful. The catalyst, {this time} was that I ended up taking all my wife's pain meds after her mastectomy surgery for breast cancer. And because she was still in pain, I even called her doctor for her and said she ran out and needs more, then proceeded to take all of those. The guilt from that is something I'll never really get over. So yeah, I need to be done with this once and for all. Me and opioids are a bad combo.
Congratulations on 14 months off of everything. I’m new to these forums, but have been battling my demons for years, and believe me, I have been there. We know it’s the ultimate betrayal, but that demon on our shoulder tells us just a couple won’t be missed. Then we have screwed over the ones we love. And ourselves really. Stay with it, know your demons and don’t give in. You and I are the same type, love the opioids, but believe me, they don’t love us. Happy New Year.