• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the official NCAA football thread

Okay, 2 decent teams for the Big10+1 plus OSU worth about .3 and PSU getting .1 as another yearly homage to JoPa who shoulda friggin retired looooong ago. Feel better?

:p

hahaha, maybe. it should be noted that in the preseason coach's poll the Big 10 has the most teams in the top 25 at number 3. also, as much as it pains me to say don't forget about Iowa. the worst part about the Big 10 conference is that they have 11 teams and do not play for a conference championship game. luckily, the Iowa Hawkeyes do not play either OSU or Michigan. I know it probably won't happen but they could win the Big 10 by going undefeated and only beating Wisconsin! WTF!

Wisconsin looks good with P. J. Hill running the ball, I like his style. but they will be starting over with a new quarterback, which hurts. Michigan returns three stellar offensive stars in QB Chad Henne, RB Mike Hart, and WR Mario Manningham. they will produce some points, but their defense will probably be despicable yet again this year. Penn State could be the Big 10's sleeper this year as they are playing all Wisconsin, Michigan, and OSU at home. you can't count out playing at PSU - their fans are rowdy (and the biggest assholes of all time, they will fight out of towners, and this is coming from someone who lived on OSU's campus for most of his life). I actually like OSU's chances better than the other three, and not just because I am a bigger homer than Bart's dad. the Buckeyes are going to have to revert back to "Tressel ball" - meaning playing outstanding defense and getting points by running the ball. they should be able to run the ball with their star young running back.

I get goosebumps just thinking about college football coming up!

Axl Blaze said:
it should be noted that in the preseason coach's poll the Big 10 has the most teams in the top 25 at number 3.

You probably meant in the Top 10...not that preseason polls mean much anyway...but yeah...they definitely don't have the most teams in the top 25. That always ends up going to the SEC every year. Half of the conference in the preseason top 25 is par for the course for them. Do they live up to those standards usually? Up for debate. ;)

Axl Blaze said:
the worst part about the Big 10 conference is that they have 11 teams and do not play for a conference championship game.

Not having a conference championship is a good thing...but hey, I'm a pac-10 fan. There's something better about having the league play each other entirely to decide the champ than having those bullshit divisions and conference championships imo...but I guess the rebuttal is "money talks". Fucking greedy bastards...

Axl Blaze said:
I get goosebumps just thinking about college football coming up!

Amen brotha. A-Fucking-men.

Last edited:
I think 'money talks' is the obvious and true reason for a conference championship game (who's gonna turn down money?), but the concept also has merit. Look at the Big10+1 where every year you have about 3 teams that might play for their crown, and there's always the question of 'which team in their conference did they NOT play?' :\ Axl pointed this out.

Pac-10 does have 10 teams, so I can't knock that, and I would assume that they play ALL their conferencemates every year? Or do they have to rotate the schedule and always leave someone off? I ask as someone who honestly doesn't follow the Pac-10. Smaller conference, yeah, you get an honest regular season champion, and I can't argue with that a bit. It's just not the norm after the Big12 and SEC did it and the ACC followed suit. I wouldn't be surprised to see the BigEasy follow suit before long, especially as they need more money to improve the league - something neither the PAC10 or Big10+1 have to face.

I'm wondering if the server went down because Axl talked me into giving the Big10+1 more credit than they deserve? ;)

drew345 said:
ROLL TIDE but as usuall were gonna fucking suck oh well least well least we cant say our coach cost us any games now.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!! see ya in november! =D

Don't know if any of you have been reading the NCAAF section of ESPN but they've had their 'experts' doing a bracket style playoff between conferences in an effort to determine which conference is 'the best'. There is a second one based on fan voting. Their both done at this point, but clicking on any bracket leads to an article explaining their thought process in reaching the decision. Fodder for discussion, at least.

>LINK<

LapDawg said:
Not having a conference championship is a good thing...but hey, I'm a pac-10 fan. There's something better about having the league play each other entirely to decide the champ than having those bullshit divisions and conference championships imo...but I guess the rebuttal is "money talks". Fucking greedy bastards

I agree in the fact that not having a conferance championship is a good thing. hell, it's a great thing. the Pac-10 are lucky enough to have actually ten teams in their conference. however, for teams like the Big 10 and SEC, who have more than 10 teams, it should be standard operation in college sports.

USC is going to kick so much ass this year. Pete Carroll is one of the men I admire most in any profession. God I hope he doesn't get greedy and go back to the NFL.

^If he didn't want the Chargers job, I think it speaks volumes about his commitment to 'SC. Now, if he wins another national championship...this will be revisited. ;)

TheLoveBandit said:
I think 'money talks' is the obvious and true reason for a conference championship game (who's gonna turn down money?), but the concept also has merit. Look at the Big10+1 where every year you have about 3 teams that might play for their crown, and there's always the question of 'which team in their conference did they NOT play?' :\ Axl pointed this out.

Pac-10 does have 10 teams, so I can't knock that, and I would assume that they play ALL their conferencemates every year? Or do they have to rotate the schedule and always leave someone off? I ask as someone who honestly doesn't follow the Pac-10. Smaller conference, yeah, you get an honest regular season champion, and I can't argue with that a bit. It's just not the norm after the Big12 and SEC did it and the ACC followed suit. I wouldn't be surprised to see the BigEasy follow suit before long, especially as they need more money to improve the league - something neither the PAC10 or Big10+1 have to face.

You can make the same "who did they not play?" argument with all of those conferences because they are structurally flawed. Maybe the conference championship increases the chance two teams that may not face off in the regular season, but in no way does it guarantee it. Plus there's the example of the Big 12 where one division owns another division, which leads to unbalanced conference play and results. Texas vs. Colorado in the Big 12 Championship anyone?

Now, the Pac-10 has only recently switched their schedule so that they play the full league slate. In years past it was an 8-game league schedule, but with the permanent addition of a 12th game, it was upped to 9 and made everything perfectly balanced.

The Norm, I would argue, is something that hurts the sport more than helps it because it's not about football...it's about greed. What the Pac-10 is doing exemplifies the right way to honor the tradition of college football and the value the season should have vs. conference playoff games, which are better served in the basketball arena.

LapDawg will appreciate this one:

Recent article on ESPN about over or under ranked teams and conferences. Just an excerpt from Past national champs among most overrated

Most overrated teams in last 10 years:
1. Florida State (-63)
2. Tennessee (-58)
3. Washington (-42)
4. Miami (-35)
T5. Ohio State (-34)
T5. Nebraska (-34)
7. Florida (-33 1/2)
8. Michigan (-25)
9. Texas (-24)
10. Clemson (-22)

Most underrated teams in last 10 years:
1. Washington St. (+51)
2. Boise State (+48)
3. Oregon (+32 1/2)
4. Arkansas (+26)
5. Wisconsin (+23)
6. Louisville (+20)
7. TCU (+18)
T8. Boston College (+17)
T8. Iowa (+17)
T8. Maryland (+17)

BCS Conferences:
1. Pac-10 (+60 1/2)
2. Big East (+9)
3. Big 10 (+3)
4. SEC (-12 1/2)
5. Big 12 (-78 1/2)
6. ACC (-102)

They had a formula, mentioned in the article, stating if a team was unranked before or after the season they'd give it a rank of 26 then find the difference between where they started and where they ended for the season. I think it *does* reflect the mythical East Coast Bias without actually stating it exists ;)

Yea ive seen that before and find it pretty intresting.....

although i think there's one flaw with it being that if u start out ranked Top 10 and especially #1.....then u have nowhere else but to fall down....

And another flaw.....Dont u think being ranked #10 and finishing up #3 is a much bigger hurdle than starting #20 and ending up #13? However both are weighted the same

Good points, but I'd think that kind of washes out since the same number of teams that go #10 to #3 may be falling #3 to #10 due to a single loss. Generally, after the top 2-4 teams you have a bunch that could be shuffled any which way between #3-10 :\ The biggest issue I have is if you are unranked you get a #26 which is really hurting any meteoric falls or climbs, but I don't have a better suggestion.

The Game Day crew just had a lot of love for your Gators, TLB... not as much as they had for LSU, though.

it's hard for me to determine how Florida will be. sure, I think that they will be another solid team this season, but I could see them going the other way as well. Tim Tebow, despite all the hype he has gotten, still has not started a single college football game in his entire life.

Yea i think thats the general consensus.....But i think its hard to shy away from UF cuz of the recruiting machine they've had the past year or so....

Other than that homo-erotic jump pass Tebow completed for a TD against LSU....has he shown anybody anything other than being an over glorified fullback? I mean come on, Darren McFadden at Arky has better passing Stats than Tebow, and his primary reason for lining up at QB was b/c the Arky QB's forgot the forward pass is a legal play in football

college football...buckeye fan here...After last year I'm still in a bit of shell shock. Fuck it I'll say something...
USC rolls this year, they will beat WVU soundly in the NC.
Buckeyes will go 10-2.
There. That's my outlook for this year.