• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The official Austnet #bluelight thread (subtitled The guide for n00bs)

IT'S ALIVE, ALIVE!!!
I've brought it back from the dead :p

okay peoples - my question is this:
who is impersonating seuss???
that's right - someone, somwhere, has already registered my nick!!! come forth and show thyself, imposter, and we shall have a lyrical showdown to determine who really is drseuss...
ahem! ;)
[ 14 February 2002: Message edited by: dr seuss ]

dr seuss - Keep in mind that there are about 55,000 registered users on the Austnet network, so it's bound to have some names that are already registered ;)

BTW registered nicknames expire after not being used (logged in to) for three weeks, so if you can't get your first choice initially you can check every now and then to see if it's been deregistered.

Seems to be working fine for me, 12:37am on Friday morning :p

Anna mentioned in this thread that some people were warned not to talk about the AFL so much (which was one example of some moderating going on in IRC) ...As far as I know IRC was a free-for-all as long as there wasn't any drug dealing etc going on... Was this an isolated case? Do people think there is too much talk on certain topic going on? (frankly I think people could chill on the nangs a bit, but that's just me...)

/\
|
|
yeah, what the fuck is it with that?
this is IRC ppl. inane is what it does best. don't try to moderate it, it'll never work.
besides, if we can't be silly in oz social, and we we have too many brain-cells to go to main social, where else are we going to be silly?
free IRC, i tell you. i can talk about anything i want dammit. except drug dealing, of course.

if some of u irc ppl r wandering y im not on irc now its coz i can't download the program on my room mates computer so msn or icq is the only thing 4 me until i get my own computer that is :) :) :) :) :) so have fun without me ... & i promise i'm not drinking red fanta anymore *lies i tell u*
TC

Originally posted by Anna:
...I'd just like to BRIEFLY talk about the AUSTnet #bluelight channel - I figure this is probably as good a place as any, seeing as it's on an Australian server and all - and the rules that are about to be applied to that.
If we, as a collective Australian group, can't have our little inaneness in this forum, then fair enough. It's been around a lot longer than I have, it IS a discussion board after all, and Pleo has outlined what's sposed to go on in here very reasonably, so I have no problem with that. But! the fact that the word on the street is that #bluelight will become much more strictly controlled (for example, a few of us being warned that we'd be banned if we continued to talk about AFL..) poses the question "Just where ARE we supposed to go to be inane and stupid together?"I was under the impression that the #bluelight channel was for chat about anything, not whatever the ops found interesting. The difference between Aus Social and IRC chats is the instant nature of IRC - if you're bored by a conversation then like a real life conversation you can try to change it, and it usually won't last long anyway.
Anyway, it's in the Aus Social forum guidelines that if people want to chat, then can go to the #bluelight channel - so I'm just wondering what the policy is? I've been made an op in there, and so far I've only changed the title twice - I personally don't think it's up to the ops to say what is and isn't acceptable topics of conversation (no AFL is a good example of that), but then again wouldn't want my authority undermined here so who am I to undermine the authority of the IRC ops?
What I do think is needed is for the people that want to make these changes to come out and explain exactly what they want changed and why they want to change it. Because there's almost more confusion about IRC than there is about Aus Social! :)

Pleo, I was just told by two of the ops that "Talking about AFL isn't acceptable", "This is #bluelight, not #talkaboutanykindofcrap" or something to that effect.
I was told that there are a list of channel rules currently being drawn up (and close to being finished, from what I understand) that will limit the topics of discussion to harm minimisation.
In my opinion, we have a discussion board to discuss harm minimisation. Most of the bluelighters who use the #bluelight channel are friends anyway, we don't need to talk to each other about the same stuff we post on the board. IRC for chat (hence Internet Relay Chat) and the forums for discussion (hence Discussion Board).
Maybe people are just randomly power tripping, I dunno. It seems incredibly extreme though.

I'll keep this in mind, I've only just read about it now, and I'm gonna try to organise some time where all the op's will sit down and talk things over...
I'll stick it in the topic now, so that people not reading this thread know about it too...

You can't restrict IRC. Ever.
It just doesn't work.. Draconian laws are for... well the draconians, let's keep it that way :)
*huggles everyone*
Lets just all live in harmony :)

Dante: I've emailed you my opinion... :)
Also, just out of curiosity, who actually are the IRC ops?