Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The new drug highway: Pacific islands at centre of cocaine trafficking boom

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
The new drug highway: Pacific islands at centre of cocaine trafficking boom
Kate Lyons
The Guardian
June 23rd, 2019
It is the drug route you’ve never heard of: a multibillion-dollar operation involving cocaine and methamphetamines being packed into the hulls of sailing boats in the US and Latin America and transported to Australia via South Pacific islands more often thought of as holiday destinations than narcotics hubs.

In the past five years there has been an explosion in the number of boats, sometimes carrying more than a tonne of cocaine, making the journey across the Pacific Ocean to feed Australia’s growing and very lucrative drug habit.

Caught in the middle are countries such as Fiji, which the Guardian visited as part of a series investigating the Pacific drug highway. Other countries affected include Vanuatu, Papua New Guinea, Tonga and New Caledonia, whose waters and beaches are being used as storage grounds for billions of dollars worth of illicit drugs.

Hundreds of kilograms of cocaine have washed up on remote Pacific beaches, ships laden with drugs have run aground on far-flung coral reefs, and locals have discovered huge caches of drugs stored in underwater nets attached to GPS beacons.

“Draw a direct line between Bogotá and Canberra and it goes straight through the islands,” says Dr Andreas Schloenhardt, professor of criminal law at the University of Queensland.
Read the full story here.

Last edited:
Cocaine used as washing powder: police struggle with Pacific drug influx
Kate Lyons
The Guardian
June 23rd, 2019
Sitiveni Qiliho, Fiji’s police commissioner, says he doesn’t watch films any more because, since taking on Fiji police’s top job two years ago, his life has enough drama.

Over the past few months he has found himself scuba diving in search of multimillion-dollar stashes of cocaine stored in huge underwater nets, arresting drug traffickers on the high seas and informing remote islands communities that the mysterious packages washing up on their beaches are full of cocaine and shouldn’t be baked into cakes or put in tea.

“It’s what movie scripts are made of ... all the Hollywood blockbuster movies about drugs are centred around this script,” he says. “I don’t watch movies, I deal with it in real life.”

Qiliho spent more than 25 years in Fiji’s army, serving abroad in various UN missions, before leaving in 2015 as a brigadier. Since becoming police commissioner in November 2015, Qiliho has found himself involved in a different sort of battle, as Fiji has become a stop-off for drug traffickers moving their illicit cargo through the Pacific.

“The fight against drugs is something that keeps me going,” he says.

-----

'I've seen terrible, terrible violence': cocaine and meth fuel crime and chaos in Fiji
Kate Lyons
The Guardian
June 24th, 2019
In the early hours of a Saturday morning in the city of Nadi, on the west coast of Fiji’s main island, Isaiah* is sitting in a Burger King drinking Fanta through a straw and explaining how he became a drug dealer.

He started five years ago, aged 13, selling cigarettes and marijuana. Now he sells cocaine and methamphetamines.

“My family were selling drugs in Suva,” he says. “They said there would be a time when me and my cousins would take over. We start training, training, training.”

Isaiah inhabits Fiji’s underbelly, far removed from the tourist trail of white sand beaches dotted with coconut palms. Here, away from the five-star resorts and snorkelling safaris, police are reckoning with an explosion in the domestic use of what they call “white drugs” – cocaine and methamphetamines – which until a few years ago were almost unheard of in the country.

Law enforcement says increased domestic drug use in Fiji, as well as in other Pacific nations such as Tonga and Samoa, has been fuelled by a combination of factors: growing economies, booming tourist industries and the fact these countries lie on a transnational drug shipping route.