• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The more cannabis you smoke, the more likely you are to be a loser

poledriver

Bluelighter
The more cannabis you smoke, the more likely you are to be a loser, finds international study

Persistent users likely to be lower paid and have relationship difficulties
Research found abusers ended up in a lower social class than their parents
Also more prone to be in less skilled, prestigious jobs and to run into debt
Study by Californian university followed children from birth up to age of 38

International research has revealed that the more cannabis you smoke, the more likely you are to be lower paid and have relationship difficulties.
The study followed children from birth up to the age of 38 and found people who smoked cannabis four or more days a week over many years ended up in a lower social class than their parents.

It also found that regular and persistent users ended up with lower-paying, less skilled and less prestigious jobs than those who were not regular cannabis smokers.
Financial, work-related and relationship difficulties were further experienced by those taking the drug, which worsened as the number of years of regular cannabis use progressed.

The study, conducted by a team of researchers led by Magdalena Cerda at the University of California and Avshalom Caspi and Terrie Moffitt at Duke University, appeared in the journal Clinical Psychological Science.
'Our research does not support arguments for or against cannabis legalization,' said Cerda. 'But it does show that cannabis was not safe for the long-term users tracked in our study.

'Our study found that regular cannabis users experienced downward social mobility and more financial problems such as troubles with debt and cash flow than those who did not report such persistent use.
'Regular long-term users also had more antisocial behaviors at work, such as stealing money or lying to get a job, and experienced more relationship problems, such as intimate partner violence and controlling abuse.'

Researchers claimed the study was important as it addresses an array of 'potentially confounding factors' not included in past studies assessing cannabis' long-term effects on users.
Economic and social problems persisted in long-term, regular users of pot even after the authors accounted for other potential differences between regular cannabis users and other participants.

These factors included socioeconomic problems in childhood, lower IQ, antisocial behavior and depression in adolescence, higher levels of impulsivity, lower motivation to achieve, criminal conviction of cannabis users, and abuse of alcohol and hard drugs.
'These findings did not arise because cannabis users were prosecuted and had a criminal record,' said Caspi, a psychologist at Duke University and King's College London.

Cont - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-finds-international-study.html#ixzz44hl1qz54

The study followed children from birth up to the age of 38 and found people who smoked cannabis four or more days a week over many years ended up in a lower social class than their parents.

How did the control group end up? Seems to have been quite a bit of "downward" mobility as of late.

Wow, I wish I could have signed up for this study. I've smoked marijuana the vast majority of days for the last 20 years, and am going to be 38 next year. Over those years lost in a haze, I've managed to get myself a doctoral level degree, a salary multiple times higher than my abstemious master-degree-level parents ever made, and a stable and healthy 10 year long relationship. I always find it funny when someone gets on a high horse about, "Yeah, but think how much more you could've accomplished if you weren't stoned all the time." (As though accomplishing more was the point.)

I think we'll eventually find that children having a lower standard of living than their parents is a normal and common thing in mature, post-industrial economies, regardless of drug use. If anything, greater drug use is a symptom of this decline, not a cause.

Also I bet my Values are much different than some uppity university social climbing psychologist researchers. Even with that being said I put my life up against all the researchers involved lives. Some people live amazing lives.. some people live "successful" lives.

I also have never seen mj use lead to domestic violence. Id love to see the factors that attributed this to mj use. Sounds like total BS to me.

If societies current definition of success is so accurate then why are so many people so miserable.

I wish I was a stoner and not an alcho. I would of saved a shit load more and been more happier :(

^ I've seen a few people switch over. Not many, but Id give it a go. I'd try indica for the best results.. something along the skunk might do the trick. the 51 (nl 5 x skunk 1) or lemon skunk.

You dont get many choices here, what's on offer is what you get. Unless you grow it yourself or know a close mate doing it etc

Wow, I wish I could have signed up for this study. I've smoked marijuana the vast majority of days for the last 20 years, and am going to be 38 next year. Over those years lost in a haze, I've managed to get myself a doctoral level degree, a salary multiple times higher than my abstemious master-degree-level parents ever made, and a stable and healthy 10 year long relationship. I always find it funny when someone gets on a high horse about, "Yeah, but think how much more you could've accomplished if you weren't stoned all the time." (As though accomplishing more was the point.)

I think we'll eventually find that children having a lower standard of living than their parents is a normal and common thing in mature, post-industrial economies, regardless of drug use. If anything, greater drug use is a symptom of this decline, not a cause.

My story is, at least superficially, similar to yours.
I got my PhD in a social science while heavily addicted to cannabis.
I wrote most of my dissertation while high. It helped quite a bit, I'd say.
I have a steady job (for the past decade or so since I graduated) as a research professor at a major university, making a middle-class income.
I have never been involved in violence of any sort (apart from martial arts practice).
I have been with the same partner for 20 years, in a stable, loving relationship.
Thanks in part to cannabis! <3

I think this is the real truth.

I don't need to post and go "this doesn't apply to me" because it's a study akin to saying "all cyclists are douche bags" sure maybe a percentage of the cycling population are douche bags but any one encounter will show the majority are not.

At worst it becomes a life style choice that, if your mature about it, you work into your schedule. I think the majority of posters on BL who reply to this are exceptions to the study, if it's a study at all.

I could go into immense detail of how my life goes against all preconceived notions of what it means to "do drugs" drugs of all classes all RoAs etc but I feel the story is repetitive here :)

This is exactly what I keep saying in regard to these kinds of claims. It looks more like a symptom than the cause.

the more likely you are to be a loser

What do I get for winning?

A positive correlation between marijuana use and domestic violence...that seems to be the most counter-intuitive claim of this study, to me personally.

The study is pretty meaningless to me, but I have found for myself that in the years when I was a heavy smoker I got way less done. Less motivation, less desire to date, less creative output.

How did they prove that its not the fact that "losers" tend to resort to and smoke pot more than successful people.

Maybe its not the pot causing them to be losers....they were to begin with and just have more time/reasons to smoke pot.

I couldn't read the whole study but how did they account for this? correlation does not equal causation as they say

All drugs do is keep people like me with less desirable genes from reproducing. Let everyone get any drug any quantity and the weak (I'll be among them) will gladly do shit tons of drugs till we die and then soicety is a step closer to a perfect world. That's the way to go about eugenics ethically. Let people do themselves in.

Plenty of hopeless, depraved drug addicts seem to do plenty good at reproducing lol (mostly with other hopeless depraved drug addicts)

there were probably factors contributing to their choice to use regularly that also contributed to why they didn't do as well as their parents.

"Billy smokes every day so he can cope with his abusive parents. Billy did not achieve much in life. clearly the drugs are at fault."