View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Mental Shitbox.

Psychonautical

Bluelighter
I was just wondering how many of you here have started to acknowledge your mental shit box.

You see for me over the course of a month, as i partisipate in reality and life. Friends and Drama, Social situations, television. I notice that all of the things that we as a culture are required to partisipate in are actually unimportant and most of the time inappropriate. For some reason that really bugs me. about how the current state of the affairs in the world has this much of an effect on society as a whole.

Prime Example, Compare This Day, to even the 90's which im sure alot of us grew up in.

I find that there will be a point, usually within an month or two, where it feels as if i require a psychedelic experience in order to clean it out. To scrape away all this shit resin that is clogging my brain.

Like is there some way you can live your life with out picking up this shit, or is it one of those things that is just Ah C'est La vie.

The television and watching the news is one of those things that if i were to do it every single day, my mental shitbox would be bursting out of my ears by the end of the 24th hour.

I was just wondering ... how many of you here, have one of those boxes
and how often do you clean it out... lol.

Personally i enjoy consuming around a half ounce of mushrooms once a month, to sorta give the ol receptors a work out. I smoke 1 gram really high grade marijuana everyday (before i started psychedelics, i would smoke around 3.5 grams of marijuana a day) I don't really do MDMA or anything like that. I have, but i am weak when it comes to addicting things like that. I used to K on a weekly basis, but i found it to be too much and not enough, all at the same. But i was still doing it, like a ketamine robot i was.
K-hole ment Nap time lol.

Please post your Mental Shit Box Cleaning Techniques...
Past, Present, Future in here ^.^

Nicely put...I never though of it as my mental shit box! Yes psych's clean out all my "buildup" and help me start new. I try to watch very little programming from major networks as well as biased news programs. All they are doing is giving people something to keep their minds off of the fact that we are going to die relatively soon. Once people are stagnant, they might start to "panic" or start to question the system, which can't be good...right?

I was just wondering ... how many of you here, have one of those boxes and how often do you clean it out... lol.

Everyone has one. That's the great thing about psychedelics: its like giving your mind a bath. <3

Television is one of the biggest sources of pessimism in our modern world and I think its mostly a very harmful force.

I try to keep my mental shitbox relatively clean to begin with. A huge part of this is avoiding TV and mainstream media as much as possible and reading books that stretch my imagination and challenge my intellect. Meditation practices like zazen or mantra repetition help in this area, as do long strolls in nature away from mental noise sources like traffic and so forth. I actually went on a hike today because the weather was so uncharacteristically pleasant and was reminded again how effective this is in clearing out the mind's clutter.

My trips have been few and far between for the past few years, but in that way they help clean out the shitbox more thoroughly than they would if I were using them on a regular basis. This way the magic stays intact and I have some powerful tools and methods at my disposal for those times when I feel I need a deep cleansing, so to speak. I've also realized that if I smoke weed daily for too long it only helps the shitbox accumulate not only more garbage, but somehow garbage that is more difficult to get rid of while smoking habitually. In fact, I think that the very act of harboring any deep-set mental/behavioral patterns and habits such as this one is what can make the clutter so "thick" and difficult to clean out. Getting high once or twice a week at the most is way more conducive for keeping the channels clear IME.

For some psychedellics just warm up the shit box and give it a good stir until the user spews this shit into other peoples shitboxes.

I actually went on a hike today because the weather was so uncharacteristically pleasant and was reminded again how effective this is in clearing out the mind's clutter.

That is so true. A good hike can be just as gratifying as the most ecstatic psychedelic experience. Years ago I hiked through most of the trails in the White Mountains, and it was the most psychedelic experience I could imagine. When you've exerted yourself to your limits, only to realize that you've reached the peak and you stand there with the wind whistling around you just watching the shadows that the clouds cast upon the earth below you....I can't really think of a more cleansing experience. <3

I think that many, many people in the postindustrialized world experience this phenomenon--I know that I certainly do. The best description of the feeling / mental state I can offer is that it feels as if one's psyche has the bends. The author/quasi-philosopher Alvin Toffler described these feelings as a kind of syndrome in the book Future Shock, claiming that one of the side effects of a continuously changing, continuously accelerating, always-on society was a sort of anxious, paralytic disorientation, caused by an overload of (largely superfluous) information. There is such a low signal-to-noise ratio that we lose sight of what is actually significant, getting bogged down in a deluge of bullshit. In my opinion, there is no better treatment for this 'bullshit-itis' than psychedelia. If we, as a society, were to intelligently harness the potential of the psychedelic experience, instead of fearing and vilifying it, we might stumble upon a stellar solution to the psychical ills of the modern era.

Last edited:
It can be that or it can be the buffer overrun on the shit box..

depends on the context.. amount.. set/setting.. all that stuff.

Can be just as much of a hinderence as a tool for clarity and self betterment.

^^ I guess that is true: for some people, psychedelics can actually trigger this "information overload" response. Then you've got a manic street preacher on your hands for the next 8 hours.

My "mental shitbox" generally reaches maximum capacity around every 6 months and by maximum capacity I meaning bursting at the seams and requiring a full clean out. I have two options of going about this a) psychedelic or empathogenic therapy or b) full-blown mental breakdown and a week of depression. After either one the box is essentially emptied.

I just really dislike it when people tell me what i'm experiencing.. or saying i'm not getting what they are getting because they think they have had a trip where they understand something more about the universe or some crap like that, or half the time just spewing mystical bollocks that only makes sense to them.

there is contemplating and making observations but then there is just plain being a dick. The trouble is when they truly believe they are jesus and they are telling you "there is a psychedellic war" and "there will be blood".. with a manic frazzled look in their face.
followed by an array of other instances in which they humiliated themselves or annoyed the crap out of you.

Psychs can seriously delude already deluded minds or cause delusion who knows..or maybe it's just how the person is any way and psychs just pointing it out more?

we can all go temporarily paranoid etc agreed.. or maybe have a psychotic episode.. but to be a fully functioning dick head.. i just can't tolerate that behaviour..

^^ Well, that is true--psychedelics wouldn't be nearly as looked down upon by the (immoral) morality police if fewer douchebags had used them throughout modern history. Hell, look at Timothy fucking Leary.

When I was much younger and "dumber" I read alot of Timothy Leary's work---Your Brain is God, etc., and I thought he was so freakin great. "Wow this guys' got it figured out,blah blah." Over the next couple years I realized how much he hurt the drug culture by bringing it so out in the open.

Yeah Timothy Leary was an egotistical douchebag who fed on his infamy and tried to make himself a christ-like figure in the mass counter-culture movement that occured in the 60's. Ken Kesey however seemed like a pretty cool dude. I sense no douchebaggery in his writing or his interviews.

Leary did have a lot of interesting things to say, but unfortunately, as a person, he was an egotistical douchebag--all he really wanted was a personality cult and LSD gave it to him. Pity he fucked all of us born beyond the 1960s in the ass along the way.

ResinTeeth: I owe you a coke for jinx on 'egotistical douchebag,' good to see that a lot of others see Leary in this light.