Votes: 1 3.4%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
You seem to be too attached/in love with the books to make an objective & fair comparison. It's understandable.

I am finally about to watch this movie

I hope that what I hear isn't true, that it is just the newer, lamer, and "emo" take of Battle Royale's callous, shocking, "punk rock" take of the same themes

from what I gather, the Hunger Games seems to be Battle Royale but diluted and then injected with a Twilight style of lame tween romance...

but honestly, I can't wait to see Lenny Kravitz ;)

THG is more about sacrifice and government and class warfare than just killing like battle royale or love like twilight.
sheesh.

and lenny kravitz survives the first movie

dull story, cheesy effects and horrible editing. those pointless flashbacks and quick, manic cuts were annoying and distracting. there was no exploration of the mannequin audience. the future teenagers were basically the same obnoxious turds as well to do kids are in this current era, regardless of their wealth and "districts" of origin.

2/5

as for the constant comparisons to battle royal, yes they are different. although the gratuitous violence of br makes it seem less substantial, it actually isn't. the characters actually shine through such adversity. in this people are just cardboard plot devices.

i thought i was in for a pleasant surprise. was digging the high-fashion metropolis and the idea of sponsors. but two things kill this movie. two things in addition to the choppy plot and continuity. [spoil]the winners are weak. katniss has so many opportunities to just shoot people, and she goes with gimmicky nonsense like shooting a bag of apples instead. she destroys their supplies? they were standing out in the open and she's a long distance killer with cover... too much effort to keep her from coming off as ruthless leaves her seeming like an idiot. and the controllers or whatever manipulate the game to the point where who gives a shit. it's not really a battle; it's staged randomness.[/spoil] if that's the point, it's not an entertaining one.

end is silly, blank, and squandered to leave room for a sequel.

2.5/5
one for a premise guarantees rooting--well, up to the point where it becomes so horribly clear that who wins has little to do with the competitors' actions. one for the wardrobe. .5 for the concept of sponsors, which comes into play so-so.

Last edited:
[spoil]the winners are weak. katniss has so many opportunities to just shoot people, and she goes with gimmicky nonsense like shooting a bag of apples instead. she destroys their supplies? they were standing out in the open and she's a long distance killer with cover... too much effort to keep her from coming off as ruthless leaves her seeming like an idiot.[/spoil]

While I do agree that the 'staged randomness' felt a tad bit gimmicky, tacky, etc., I thought that Catnip's deliberate, steadfast refusal to commit murder-for-spectacle, even to her great strategic detriment, was quite fitting with the film's overall thematic gist; the overarching point being that Catnip Evergreen's real-life character and Hunger Games persona are personally and morally identical (unlike those of her fellow competitors, save perhaps for the stone psychos who always win, &c.), and her eventual victory represents a symbolic triumph of personal integrity over the glib duplicity and casual violence of the film's/book's legion of bourgeois antagonists.

right on. though i don't know about "murder-for-spectactle." yeah that's the idea for those who do not have strong ties to the "tributes." but she's killing for survival. [spoil]when she shoots rue's killer, it is an attempt to protect herself and the little girl.[/spoil] when she does not take open shots on her opponents, she is passing on opportunities to protect herself and her little sister at home. destroying their supplies is in the name of killing them eventually; it's just weak strategy.

toward the end, is [spoil]shooting the guy in the hand instead of the face[/spoil] a moral or ethical decision? does it save anyone? na, it puts everything at risk to keep her character likable for a younger audience and the movie pg-13 for the distributor. i get that it is a kids' movie. the plot still has to unfold so her actions make sense. the beehive is perfect. she doesn't have her bow, so the best strategy actually is for her to kill indirectly. at many other points, the story is lazy.

Last edited:
right on. though i don't know about "murder-for-spectactle." yeah that's the idea for those who do not have strong ties to the "tributes." but she's killing for survival. [spoil]when she shoots rue's killer, it is an attempt to protect herself and the little girl.[/spoil]

toward the end, is [spoil]shooting the guy in the hand instead of the face[/spoil] a moral or ethical decision? does it save anyone? na, it puts everything at risk to keep her character likable for a younger, naive audience and the movie pg-13 for the distributor. i get that it is a kids' movie. the plot still has to unfold so her actions make sense. the beehive is perfect. she doesn't have her bow, so the best strategy actually is for her to kill indirectly. at many other points, the story is lazy.

Well, sure, hence my 3-star rating. I would only recommend this movie for the kids, especially fans of the books (duh); but you're right, it's full of weird fuck-ups and poor resolutions re. the double- and triple-binds in which Catnip periodically finds herself.

when she does not take open shots on her opponents, she is passing on opportunities to protect herself and her little sister at home. destroying their supplies is in the name of killing them eventually; it's just weak strategy.

Lol, I seentcha goin' all Game Theory and shit on a kid's movie. Sheeeeeit.

lol "catnip" =D

she does have an atrocious name.

I think the movie was ok. Nothing to what is was raved about. Just another action flick :)

i hate teen stuff... it often lacks the harshness of real life... wouldnt there be a sex slave group or something

however the movie is well done... you have to give it that