• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

The Future of Anti-Depressants

Cloroxtastebad

Bluelighter
I myself have tried many different AD's in my life. I have Struggle with Depression and anxiety for most of my life. There isnt really a cause for my depression besides biological factors. My psychiatrist and psychologist both agree that medication will most likely be the thing to bring me out of this dark cloud that has surrounded me for so long.

Most Anti-Depressants have all been shown to be very similar in effectiveness. Especially those within the same class. Also SSRI's and SNRI's have been shown to have extremely similar effectiveness. There are of course a few outliers. Venlafaxine of the SNRI class has been shown in numerous studies to be superior to ssri's as well as the SNRI's. Also mirtazapine of the tetracylic class has been shown to be superior to thhe ssri's and snri's on the market.

Both mirtazapine and venlafaxine are dual receptor AD's but they also have the unique quality of effecting opiod receptors. Do you think this alone could be the reason why they seem to be more effective for major depression than other AD's on the market?

Ive left out MAOi's because of the much higher risk of serious side effects.

The questions i have are these. Will future antidepressants most likely incorporate stronger affinity towards opiod receptors than those currently on the market? if so how will they create this without adding tolerance and dependence that is an inevitable side effect of opiates. Are there certain receptors that newer antidepressants must focus on to help achieve more pronounced antidepressant effects?

Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine are both shown to have activity at Opiod subtypes Mu- Kappa1 and kappa3, thus explaining some of its more profound antidepressant effects.

Other questions.
What other Antidepressants have opiod activity besides the two i mentioned?
If one found Venlafaxine to be unhelpful what are chances mirtazapine will also yield little results?
Could the effects on Opiod receptors explain some of the more severe withdrawals attributed to venlafaxine?

Thank you ahead of time for those who have read this. Its a lot of speculation on my part and is something im very interested in. Im also trying very hard to overcome my depression and finding the right combo of meds may be the trick.

On a side note, what are people opinions on the older TCA class of Anti-depressants? are they worth a try after have no success being treated with various ssri's, pozac, zoloft, and vibryd. Also tried effexor without any improvement.

Other meds used- Welbutrin (slight improvement for a year or so)
Abilify 2mg (no effects)
Lamictal 100mg (no effect)
Xanax 2mg (helped with anxiousness and irritability)

currently stopping all medications and wishing to start new.

Im thinking of trying 300mg of wellbutrin+45mg of mirtazapine(remeron)

or i would like to toss a TCA in the mix such as protryptaline. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One other important thing to mention, i abused adderall for about 4 years to deal with severe depression. i would take it about 3 times a week around 60-120mg.. I believe this has cause my depression to be worse now then it ever has. i have been clean off adderall for 3 months now.