• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Engagement/Wedding/Honeymoon thread

mother of the groom question

My oldest son is getting married December 10. He is 32. She is 31. They both happened to feel like they would just wait for the right person. They waited and waited. WE waited and waited. Now the friggin thing is almost here.

My daughter in law's dress is white with green bows on the skirt. (Sounds way worse than it is.) Her bridesmaids are all wearing green gowns, same color but not matching dresses. The wedding is in a quaint little chapel type building in the mountains above San Bernardino, not high enough for tire chains, but high enough to be in the pine woods with a nice view. Since its in Dec there's lots of green and gold christmas sort of whatnots for the venue decorations. It should be beautiful.

I was given permission by the bride to be that I could wear WHATEVER I felt pretty in. I bought this dress. I feel glorious in this dress. BUT it is purple. If it was my wedding everything would be purple. What whatever it is hers and this is what I bought to wear. Opinions? Also, I'm not in the wedding, so what is my role? This is the first REAL wedding, with all the planning and fitting and tuxes and flowers and cake and planning and planning.... all our family has always just gone off one afternoon and basically put in our paperwork! We always felt like all that time and energy and MONEY would be better spent on the marriage, not the wedding. I think I'm going to be a canyon of stupid at this thing!!

dress%252520for%252520matts%252520wedding.jpg

thanks PI. I guess I needed some encouragement. I am just in love with this dress. I need to get some Spankx to go under it for smooth curves;)

It's lovely that the bride is happy for you to wear whatever you like best :)

As far as I'm aware the mother of the groom has it pretty easy, I remember someone telling an aunt of mine her role was to show up and shut up. Sounds mean but was just a way of telling her to relax for once. If you ask your son and future daughter in law I'm sure they'll let you know if there is anything they want your help with or if they just want you to sit back and have a good time.

I believe each parent should be able to give a toast or speech if the couple is having speeches.

ugly, that dress is gorgeous.

stop making your handle such a misnomer! :p

If I have to give a toast, I'm gonna die. I'll be crying, my makeup will look like Twisted Sisters... This is my oldest son, 32, and we really had given up all hope. I didn't care if he ever said he was gay but he never even intimated being gay, and frankly I didn't think he was.

Two years ago he met this woman at his work, a year younger than him, also looking for someone. Someone that can make direct eye contact with you and your genitals FEEL that, and start to fill with blood. They are old enough and mature enough to already have a beautiful connection.

But a WEDDING? With CAKE and all? I seriously didnt think people did that anymore!

As for shoes I do not know if I should get die to match, or just a black pair of cute high heels.

As for my job at the wedding, THE WHOLE FAMILY has been recruited as set up and tear down teams. We will be up well before anyone else has had their first cup and working in the hall. Then we quickly change into our wedding clothes. My daughter in law has an unusual shape. SHe won't get anything changed quickly.

We do all that blah blah man woman take I do.

Pictures next.

By that time I will have disappeared to the woods to burn one.

Come back, munchies on full blast, eat piles of food.

Then its over I guess. We get back into our shit clothes and tear down the decorations and get the place totally cleaned.

Fuck it I quit. I'll just put on my new badass purple dress and stand outside the wedding in the parking lot acting like a complete fucking lunatic.

Yes.

cute black heels not dyed to match

hahaha twisted sister! I looked like I had Tourette's during my ceremony. My face was in tics and contortions trying to avoid crying. I laughed when I saw the video. I thought I will not ruin this expensive make-up and look shit for photos ;)

Vera Wang has done a collection of black bridal dresses and I'm absolutely in love. My best friend is talking about flying over to NY to see if she can get one of them and I'll die of jealousy if she does.

This is my favourite:
article-2050047-0E6B2A8E00000578-337_306x516.jpg

Then this one:
article-2050047-0E6B2A7E00000578-526_306x535.jpg

And the one she's thinking of is this one (which I don't like as much but she's absolutely tiny so I do think she might be dwarfed in one of the ones above)
article-2050047-0E6B2A8600000578-411_306x516.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-dresses-mark-turning-tide-bridal-trends.html

Flying from AUS to the US for a dress? Wow, she must not have a budget! That's going to be one badass wedding! :)

^ Ah. Well it's still going to be really cool if she's the type to consider getting a black wedding dress! I love it. :)

Thanks <3 So much to decide and prepare, but I think when we set a date it will be for next year!