• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The effects of psychedelics when you're young?

Roger&Me said:
Ignorance is not bliss, my friend. In fact, I would go as far as to posit that ignorance is the root of all suffering. (This is not my idea, I stole it from Buddha. At gunpoint.)

I'm not going to expound on this argument unless someone invites me to, though, because its pretty complicated Buddhist theology and this isn't the place for that--I'm a Buddhist myself, however I'm NOT a proponent of Buddhism, and I'm certainly not here to convert anyone.. If you're interested, though, you can research the Twelve Links of Dependent Origination--the first of which is "fundamental ignorance."

i thought the idea that ignorance was the root of all suffering was hindu in origin and predated the buddha?

^Indeed my friend that idea does predate Buddhism; however, Sakyamuni Buddha developed the teaching of the Twelve Links of Dependent Origination--the first of which is fundamental ignorance.

Buddhism contains most of the core ideals of Hinduism, because it grew out of it directly.

IamJacksUserName said:
From what Xorkoth and SomeKindaLove have said, I suppose I should count myself lucky that I don't have a drug problem to speak of, and that I don't feel that drugs are a major part of my identity (although they're definitely play a strong minor role). I guess that's because even when I've used drugs frequently, it's always ended up complementing the things that were going on in my life, rather than actually defining my life.

Well, I didn't mean drugs define my life. I just mean they're usually on my mind to some extent and I have to battle with them to keep control of my usage, rather than just being able to forget about them until it's appropriate.

^I feel ya, Xorkoth. I've been involved in drugs in some way or another since the age of 12 or 13....that's almost half my life. I don't feel like drugs define me, or my life, at all. But like you said, there always there in the back of my mind. I feel "weird" in a way, because most of my friends love to do drugs, but they seem to have this "switch" that they can turn on and off. When its on, they can do drugs and have a good time, and when its off, its like drugs never even enter their mind. They just don't even consider them.

I think if you start using drugs at a young age, that on/off switch gets replaced by a dimmer switch instead. You can't ever really turn the light all the way off, but you can turn it down low enough to be able to get to sleep at night.

I first smoked pot when i was 14 along with ecstasy. I first did cocaine , acid , heroin, crack , opium , oxycotton, and dxm at 15.

First pot at 14 then I tried LSD and MDMA at 16, and many other psyches in the following years. It definitely had a profound impact on the way I have developed mentally, but don't regret a single drug I have taken. Whether this has attributed to my problems with drugs in general or not, I feel like it has made me much more creative and open-minded.

psychedelics helped me figure out who I was and what I want, I can't really say the same for any other drugs, psych's are the only drugs which have had a profoundly positive impact on me, even when the trips where horribly intense I'd always come out with the knowledge of what I need to accomplish to make myself a better person, they have always been an excellent motivational tool for me

I will also second the statement about starting too young leading to problems. All of my friends that started before 18 now have serious drug problems. I started right at 18 and although my peers all have serious issues I have escaped somehow. I am an outlier but most people that start in their teens never stop.

You can't generalize an entire group of people based on the experience you've had with your friends. I know many people who started using drugs in their teen years and live normal lives with out fighting some sort of drug problem. The only reason i never plan to stop using drugs is because i plan to be some sort of pharmacologist. Neuro-Psychopharmacologist, the perfect job for me.

i think all this stuff about being young and taking drugs fucks you up later on in life is true but also bullshit, i smoked a few cigarettes started craving them a bit and i've decided im not smoking them anymore. all you have to do is stay away from drugs that will make you their bitch.

^^ How old are you? I used to smoke cigarettes too and I quit... haven't smoked in 6 years. Doesn't mean I don't have problems with drugs.

I mean, I know people who took drugs when they were young who are fine too. But I also know a whole lot of people who aren't, whereas I can't think of anyone who started after the age of 19 or 20 who has a drug problem. Of course this is a generalization but I've found it to be true as a generalization.

this is kind of scaring me.
maybe i will quit everything until college??
But that would be very hard to do considering my friend base.
I might not have any anymore :/

lbcgirl7820 said:
this is kind of scaring me.
maybe i will quit everything until college??
But that would be very hard to do considering my friend base.
I might not have any anymore :/

well if it would ease your mind from being worried then why would you trip? You don't have to take a psychedelic just because your friends are. I've tripped with sober friends before hiking and playing around in the woods before its all good (so you can be the sober person if you want even in the most bizarre of situations!). You'd actually be surprised (maybe) how awesome it is to be with a friend when they are tripping out (you can feel very connected to them).

But, there's nothing wrong with using a psychedelic (with moderation) if you are 16-17 I think if your mind is in a healthy place and your environment is SAFE.

peace and love :)
samadhi smiles

In my opinion it's dangerous to take drugs when you're a kid (including 16 and 17) because it's much harder at that age to moderate and to keep healthy boundaries. It's easy to find yourself very focused on drugs. And then it's easy to carry that mindset with you into adulthood, at which point it's part of who you are and it's very difficult to change.

I'm sure there are plenty of young people who are able to keep a healthy relationship with drugs. But I know that when I started smoking weed at 17, it became my favorite thing to do, and it took a long time before I realized I was a little too focused on drugs, at which point it was ingrained into my brain.

samadhi_smiles said:
well if it would ease your mind from being worried then why would you trip? You don't have to take a psychedelic just because your friends are.
actually very few of my friends trip, that was an individual decision that surprised many of them. I was referencing (although not very clearly) smoking, because thats one thing that pretty much everybody here has in common, and its usually a big part of your social life here. Its actually how I have met and bonded with most of my current friends. But no fear, I'm working on that.
Thanks for the help

I started my career at 15 with too many pills, a trend that continued until about 18 or 19
I first took acid at 15 and really wasn't ready for it, had a horrible time and generally didn't enjoy it.
Regardless I still took it when the opportunity arose and never really felt quite in tune for it until at the age of about 17 started taking trips with a group of people who were genuinly into Acid and Psy-trance rather than just getting fucked up.
The setting coupled with my developing personality (towards responsibility and away from stupid angsty behaviour) I think really put me in the right position to begin appreciating and enjoying LSD and Mushrooms...
This has continued and it seems like now Psychedelics are a great enhancer and provide me with a lot of questions that I can apply to my life.

That being said I think taking trips young and not enjoying them was good for me because it planted the idea in my mind that simply "going hard" possibly wasn't what it was all about

i did mushrooms when i was 14, which was fucking perfect. i also did salvia that year, and have smoked weed constantly since 12. i dont know the ages for the other drugs .
but i definitely think tripping is great for the early teen years, especially mushrooms. basically my life has had a constant positive vibe to it ever since my first shroom trip