• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Complicated Candyflip (integrating 5-htp)

LooSiD

Bluelighter
Very soon, someone I know plans on taking 4 hits of some decent LSD, probably 100 mikes each, at T+0h. Along with these, he will take two doses of MDMA via parachute, half a vial each (the attached image shows an identical vial filled with baking soda) at T+1h and then again at T+6h. He's done MDMA and LSD from these batches before and believes that the dosages he has decided on are sane. The complication comes in with his planned use of 5-htp. He plans on taking 100mg when he takes the acid, then again at T+5h, then again at T+11h or so when he begins to come down.

More coherently, THE PLAN:

T+0h - Take 100mg 5-HTP and 4 tabs (~400ug) of LSD

T+1h - Take an amount of MDMA equivalent to half of the pictured vial (full up to the lowest part of the cap, guitar pick for reference) by means of parachute

T+5h - Take 100mg 5-HTP

T+6h - Take the remaining MDMA

T+11h - take 100mg 5-HTP

Does this sound reasonable? He has tried LSD five or six times prior, the highest dose being two tabs from the same batch which was easily controlled and enjoyably trippy but not enough. He has taken MDMA before and redosed in a similar manner. This is is first experience using 5-HTP (And possibly vitamin C) on a trip. This is his first candyflip. He will be with his sober best friend for most of the duration, and will instruct her on the planned dosing procedure should he become too caught up in the experience to remember for himself.

Has anyone candyflipped with 5-htp before? Psychedelics and MDMA separately sometimes make him nauseous, but he will not be using cannabis due to the high dose of LSD he is taking. Is there anthing else can he take for the nausea? Given the large amount of MDMA he has, should he instead take the MDMA before the LSD (yet still after the 5-HTP) to help reduce the LSD anxiety during ascension and then re-dose 6 hours or so into the LSD trip? Does anyone have any sort of advice relating to a facet of the experience which I may not have covered in posting this query for him?

As a side note he realizes that there are too many candyflipping posts but I looked around and didn't find one that goes over the questions which he has asked me to relay to you fine people, whom I thank for answering his silly questions.

Attachments

• Image_00001.jpg
    Image_00001.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 210
i agree, i dont like the 5htp will have any impact on your trip. it is, however, good to take it when you roll, for your brain. i would just take some before, and maybe some the next day

If anything, it'll mute the roll a bit and cause a slight increase in peripheral effects (eg tremors, jaw clenching). 5-htp is way overrated. MDMA doesn't simply deplete serotonin... it depletes the enzymes the brain uses to create serotonin. So you can't just pour a bunch of serotonin precursors down your gullet and expect to feel fine. The brain isn't capable of turning em into serotonin. Additionally, 5-htp is bad for the heart... the heart isn't designed to handle that much serotonin on its side of the blood brain barrier. IF your friend is set on using a 5-HT precursor, tryptophan is a much healthier choice.

ALso 5-htp hasn't been shown to be good for your brain... it's only intended function vis a vis MDMA use is to ease the post-roll blues. If your friend cares about neurotoxicity, tell him to get some l-deprenyl, alpha lipoic acid, and acetyl l carnitine. Those have been scientifically proven to reduce brain damage caused by MDMA. Take them two days before, during, and for a week after. Reasonable doses on the l-deprenyl because it is an MAOI--staying below 4mgs a day should be fine.

If anything, it'll mute the roll a bit and cause a slight increase in peripheral effects (eg tremors, jaw clenching). 5-htp is way overrated. MDMA doesn't simply deplete serotonin... it depletes the enzymes the brain uses to create serotonin. So you can't just pour a bunch of serotonin precursors down your gullet and expect to feel fine. The brain isn't capable of turning em into serotonin. Additionally, 5-htp is bad for the heart... the heart isn't designed to handle that much serotonin on its side of the blood brain barrier. IF your friend is set on using a 5-HT precursor, tryptophan is a much healthier choice.

Agreed. Taking 5-HTP before or with MDMA will munt the roll. I have personal experience with this and it's ruined my high before. It's good to take it after a roll to help produce lost serotonin but taking it at the the same time will kill your high. 5-HTP can be hard on the heart but only in very long term use. Using it to ease an MDMA hangover is harmless.

I do however agree that tryptophan is better. It's a slower, more prolonged source of serotonin. 5-HTP gives a quick boost but it doesn't last long, tryptophan is much more drawn out.

I also think you should be weighing your MDMA and not using a vial to measure your dosage. Even a regular 0.1 scale will suffice for MDMA. Just weigh up a gram and divide into piles. (split once= 500, twice=250, four=125mg, all approximately of course)

Also take some antioxidant vitamins. Vitamin C is a fine choice.

MDMA doesn't simply deplete serotonin... it depletes the enzymes the brain uses to create serotonin. So you can't just pour a bunch of serotonin precursors down your gullet and expect to feel fine.

One of the nice things about 5-HTP is that it doesn't require TPH in order to be synthesized into 5-HT -- it just requires sufficient amounts of vitamin B6 and amino acid decarboxylase. L-Tryptophan, on the other hand, requires TPH plus iron to be converted into 5-HTP.

It's been shown that acute administration of serotonin can cause heart tremors, but I'm not sure that the link between greater serum serotonin and heart disease has been indisputably established. I'd be happy to be better informed about that, of course. :)

Nevertheless, if you're concerned about it you may consider taking a peripheral decarboxylase inhibitor (such as carbidopa), which will suppress 5-HTP's conversion into 5-HT outside of the brain.

On topic, I agree that taking 5-HTP will probably not effect your trip to any significant degree. I'm not sure why it would munt your roll from a physiological standpoint, but I've heard enough anecdotal evidence to support this.

I have strong doubts as well but taking 5-HTP with a MAOI has been shown to produce antidepressant effects although it is also a bit neurotoxic...
On the other hand, preloading 5-HTP before MDMA is not especially interesting or so I've heard.
Maybe it's not such a bad idea to try with a candyflip anyway. Volunteers, has the TS done this yet?

4E0cryQosWCE.png