• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ The Big & Dandy Scale / Balance Thread - Part 2.000±

Yep.. a 25 mg pill does not weigh 25 mg but contain 25 mg of luvox. If you really had to weigh about 6 mg with it you are right that would be getting close to the limit of the scale if you really can't afford to be 1 mg off or even 2 mg. But if it is more like 15 mg, 20 mg or more for a quarter of a pill then you should be fine. I am talking about the weight of the pill now, not how much luvox is in it.

Don't know about the calibration, you probably get a 10 or 20 gram weight with it which you have to put on it (always on very steady surface and no draughts etc), then use a calibration button on the scale somehow. Not sure what you mean 'not correct'. Sometimes those kinds of scales can function rather badly in various ways, there is 'creeping', inconsistency etc... just play with it a little first by re-weighing the same object a number of times and checking how it responds. Also preferably use a weighing tray of some kind or make one if not included, because they don't function that well very close to zero. Just putting more weight on it solves that, plus weighing trays etc are practical anyway.

So it will be more accurate to weight the 25mg get that weight... divide by 4. Then start cutting off 1/4 in that said weight of the amount that needs to come off. This way I'm in the range where the scale can operate more effectively?

Let's hope 1/4 of this 25mg pill weighs a lot.

But either way I'll be weighing the 25mg pill each time until the number equals the negative of the 1/4.

Also I will be dealing with 3+/- hopefully.

Now if you take a 10gram calibration weight that it comes with it and put that on the scale including the pill .. does that increase accuracy because it weighs more?

You're getting there but still a few things mixed up:

- The calibration weight is meant to calibrate, meaning that you put nothing else on... it is relatively precisely in weight and gives the scale a good idea of what 10.00 grams is like as a reference, so that it functions properly.
- The scale does not function better the higher the weight, it just functions poorly when very very little is on there. The trey might already fix this.
- When you put something else on is every time you weigh pills, after the calibration prepares your scale for use. But most of all when you are trying to weigh a quarter of a pill. Because that probably doesn't weigh that much and it is good to be careful every time you weigh tiny amounts, especially in the 0 to 10 mg range.
You probably don't have to worry about this, because the gemini 20 comes with a weighing trey that does this for you, it's the detachable saucer thingy that fits on the spot in the middle. Also, just try using the scale with the weighing trey and only try taring tricks when you have issues weighing small weights.

To clarify the method with the pills and explain again:

(0. calibrate the scale, so that it works as well as possible)
1. Tare the scale with the weighing trey on, taring means resetting to zero - it shows 0.000
2. Put a whole pill on the scale, it shows for example 0.320
3. Write it down and divide by 4: 0.320 / 4 = 0.080 (80 mg for a quarter pill)
4. Break the pill in 4 pieces the best you can
5. Tare again and put on a quarter pill now.
6. It should read 0.080 give or take, but if you are far off, just take small bits of the biggest piece of pill you have left to get to 80 mg.

You can repeat the process, by first weighing a whole pill several times to make sure it is 320. It shouldn't vary much, take the average for your calculation. Similarly you can re-check the weight of your quarter pill.

Don't fret over a milligram more or less, only adjust if you are very far off.

The whole thing about improving accuracy can involve taring without the trey but I'm not certain if that helps in this case and let's not get into that until you have to.
Alternatively, yes I guess the advantage of putting the calibration weight on it together with everything else is that it is supposed to weigh 10 grams exactly so it is easier to read out weights instead of having to recalculate everything so good idea.

For the record, in some countries the "200 usd scale or nothing" rule doesn't apply. I live in Argentina and here a regular 0.001 scale costs about 600 usd. And if I buy one from Ebay like a gempro 250 I have to pay 160 usd + 60 for shipping + 50% customs fee + 10 usd national courier. So yeah, I bought the 20 bucks chinese thing, it will have to do for now.

Ok I got scale and calibrated.

I weighed 6 different pills

1 .127
2. .127
3 .128
4 .129
5 .128
6. .129

You are so overthinking this, 4004. You have a pill of 128mg, great. Now divide that by four, weigh that much out, and take it. It's not an exact science nor something to spend so much time on.

Glad that it's working well - and yeah it should be straightforward.

http://digitalscalediscount.blogspot.com/2014/05/american-weigh-gpr-20-gemini-pro.html?m=1

This shows a different calibration method. I'm not sure what leaving the 10mg on the scale does after the first and second 10 gram weight are weighed and passed the test.

The first makes 10.000 g, putting the second on makes 20.000 g enhancing the function of the calibration.. then leaving the first one on if you want to weigh up to 250 mg is exactly what you suggested and we discussed: it helps stay away from very small weight ranges which are difficult for such scales to read properly.

I'm not sure honestly, I have only ever used the AWS Gemini-20. I would imagine someone here has experience with nicer scales though.

I bought the My Weigh GemPro 250 scales (I know you didn't mention them Morgion, but same brand), and they honestly weren't that good imo. I was expecting a high degree of accuracy considering I paid a fortune, but found them about as accurate (probably less so) as my cheapy chinese precision scales that I've had from ebay over the years. I've tried the AWS Gemini-20 that Xorkoth mentioned and I actually far prefer them.

Much like cheaper scales, they just weren't that accurate, but by knowing your scales and repeated weighing, you could probably get somewhere close. Usually.

I've used the GemPro 250 series as well, and honestly it's not worth the price. I also payed about half that amount, and even that wasn't worth it.

You wont see much improvement in quality from the Gemini-20 (aka accurate enough in the 10-100mg range) until you hit the $10k price range. And even with those scale, you may get microgram resolution but at the cost of them being so sensitive that the number fluctuate if you look at it wrong :) Seriously, you need to use it on a solid marble table to dampen any vibrations and even then it can be quite frustrating to work with.

yeah high accuracy balances only make sense on a completely even surface in a room without draft...

that's why in the university, we have the ultra precise balances in a seperate tiny room.

if you need to dose very potent things, volumetric measuring is always your best bet.

Yeah I dose stuff like DOC or I could even dose LSD properly with a cheap Gemini-20 scale. You just weigh a larger amount, say, 100mg, and dissolve it in a measured volume of water (use oral syringes). Then you know the concentration; if you dissolve 100mg of a substance in 100mL of alcohol or water or whatever, you have 1mg/mL of solution. You can get a 1mL oral syringe... they have 10 markings on the side, .1mL each, which would be 100ug of your solution. Some even have a further 10 unit breakdown, so each mark is .01mL, which is 10ug. This is sufficiently accurate to dose anything I can think of, even LSD. Since substances dissolve evenly into solution, any scale error is divided across the whole thing. Let's say your scale could be +/- 3mg in the reading (in my experience the Gemini-20 is actually +/- 2mg). That means you'd have weighed out an original 97mg to 103mg. Obviously that's unacceptable with weighing individual tiny doses, but that variance would cause each mL of solution to have between .97mg and 1.03mg, which is functionally the same as being positive you're exactly right on at 1.0mg. And if you increase the volume of liquid, the difference is even less... 100mg in 1000mL of solution would give you between .997mg and 1.003mg per mL of solution, which is incredibly close to exact.

With DOC I actually just weigh 30mg at a time, not 100mg, and it with volumetric dosing as above, I can dose confidently and safely, with a $20 scale.