• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines The Big & Dandy DMT Extraction Thread - Second pull

Vader: (2 posts above) It is better to fully dissolve the naoh before adding the bark. Adding the naoh after the bark is in the water can lead to spikes in the pH level possibly fucking some part of the extraction up as some parts of te bark will be hit by extremely high ph water or someshit right where the naoh falls in at least thats what someone told me

The reason why I do it that way round is that you can then stick the solvent in whilst the water's still hot from the NaOH, then do a super-quick pull and watch the DMT instantly start precipitating. Turns cloudy as soon as you pull it. I've never had any problems, and I don't see what the problem might be from really high pH, but I'm sure either way works fine.
But only if you are expecting female company...
Oh, you ;)

I do it like you do it Vader, someone told me that the heat helps the reaction work faster, and yes it seems fine.

Can't see why the heat wouldn't be there the other way round though either, ie, dissolve the NAoH, and then add the powdered bark to the still hot base solution?

I like adding the NaOH after, because I imagine (and this is only imagining, from a non-scientist) that the NaOH being added will sort of cause some sort of turbulence as it dissolves , helping to break down the powder and releasing the alkaloids faster.

Might try it the other way round, see how it goes...

Anyone ever get a thick emulsion layer when using powdered bark? Any advice on how to break it?

No, don't get it, have read about it happening, but not seen it...

have heard that leaving the vessel on top of a big bass speaker might work, the vibrations helping to seperate the solvent from the emulsion, makes sense, to me anyway :)

what solvent you using?

Merged in thread that started as a question about if defatting is necessary with MHRB - immediately after it seems like it is just pretty much extraction discussion, for which we have this designated thread here.

Thanks Solipsis. Mailmonkey: I use naphtha and powdered bark. The emulsion layer looks tannish is pretty goopy and I have a feeling I'm losing a lot of product because of it. I do in fact have a large subwoofer, so I'll put that idea to the test!

If the layer I am observing is not in fact an emulsion, it could just be saponified fats.

check how much naphtha you're pulling off, compared to how much you're adding....

Yeah that's how I know I'm losing product because the amount I put in is more than what I get out. And it looks like the difference is equal to this tan layer.

More water, more base, more heat and more time should solve an emulsion. I'd chuck in a bit more NaOH to start with and see if that does the job.

I used a lot of base, more than an equal weight to my bark. I use a heat bath during the separation of my layers and I allow the layers to separate for hours, even days. More water might help though, as I employed a 1:8 ratio of powdered bark to water.

I have used whole bark in the past in a 1:12 ratio with water and still gotten a thick emulsion though. So maybe it's not even an emulsion layer and is just saponified fats? I don't know.

My first DMT extraction

Here is the end result.

It took less then 24 hours....

I did an ammonia wash and it smells a little bit like naphtha.

Will this smell go away? I have read the naphtha smell will stick around but go away if you leave the DMT laying overnight so it evaporates properly. True?

1213111717z.jpg

Someone here may have an answer for you, but in general, I recommend the DMT Nexus for these sorts of questions.

If you've used clean naphtha, then yes, as long as you allow it to evaporate for long enough the smell will go.

As folding_space says, DMT Nexus has a huge amount of information and covers everything you could ever want to know (probably) so if you haven't checked that out before I highly recommend you do now or before your next extraction.

I just started the registration process. Unfortunately it takes some time to begin posting there. The smell seems to already be gone!

What's in the above pic weighs 0.21g, its very light and fluffy with a really small crystalline structures. Does it all look good to go?

If the smell has gone, yes, good to go!
How are you taking it?

You don't need to do the ammonia wash, I've never done it but apparently it causes problems for a lot of people. You can wash with a calcium carbonate solution if you like.

IIIII'm dreamingggg of a whiiiite christmas :D ^ beautiful
(more like 'envisioning' than dreaming though)

I feel like doing an Xtraction again soon, for fun mostly.
But I will probably use that time to start a shroom grow instead.

I'm not sure. I'm waiting for the right day.

That whole extraction start to finish took < 24 hours. (Almost exact lol)

Got 350mg out of 112g MHRB, but at that^ quality. My first extraction ever.