• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Brain Zaps / Brain Shivers Thread

I used to get these specifically on 4-aco-dipt during moderate to high dose trips. However, the type that happen as you're going to sleep - I started getting when withdrawing from alcohol, and my doctor told me that it happens as a result of low potassium levels/electrolyte levels.

Well, I have had them WD'ing from SSRI's. It is very unpleasant, but just your brain trying to find homeostasis. And unlike what several peoples experience (never goes away), I find they are almost 100% gone after 3 days. After a week, not even a hint of them. I don't feel I am anyone special, and I bet there are a great many here that feel the zaps disappear within a few days. Please, post!

BigBlueGreenBuddha said:
Hmm, first time I've seen someone mention what I think sometimes happens to me. It's happened for as long as I can remember even as a young child.

It's like you just hanging out nodding off or really relaxed, then time skips a second and it feels like I don't know where the fuck I am and the worst terror I've felt comes over me. It's maybe happens 2-3 times a year so it's hard to pin point what was going on when it happened, but I'm pretty sure your describing the same thing.

Haha me too! Happens maybe 4-5 times a year for me though. Normally I nod off and then jump up. The last time it happened I think I was skateboarding down a huge hill and then was about to hit a brickwall, going like 100+MPH, so I jumped up all freaked out and shit.

Back to the thread, I guess im lucky, I have never gotten these. Even after abusing x for a bit, never got them.

I got this once when I was coming down from MDMA. The chick I was sleeping next to later told me that she was super-freaked out but at the time didn't know me well enough to feel comfortable asking "'ey, wtf?"

I've only had these happen to me a handful of times, never knew what the hell they were until I read this though. Every time it's happened it was after taking between 15 and 20mg of 2c-e and sitting down in a meditative state for about 2 hours. The zap completely takes me out of my trance and into an extreme psychedelic experience, two of which have resulted in +4's for me.

A different perspective on "brain zaps" that may be applicable in some cases, but not all.

Sometimes there might be bursts of energy, called Kriyas, which cause a jolt throughout the spine (meru danda) and the body. They may be sharp, quick, and mild, or they may come as a powerful jolt that causes the body to jump. Such a jolt may come from time to time in meditation, experienced as a single burst of energy. These often bring varying degrees of fear, as they may seem to be a threat to our existence. Gradually, as the energy is understood and assimilated, the Kriyas come more like a quick wave of reassuring warmth, which brings a wave of peace. They serve as gentle reminders of progress on the spiritual journey.

Kriyas are neither seizures nor Kundalini: When not understood, these Kriyas can be confused with seizures because of the way they cause a jolt in the nervous and muscular systems. Because of the warmth or peaceful feeling that can come with, or after the Kriyas, they can be confused with Kundalini Awakening, which they are not. Once again, they may be pleasant experiences that serve as inspiration along the journey.

I think this explanation makes more sense in "zaps" that don't involve SSRI's (which I believe are a different animal altogether).

Psychedelic drugs effect the bodies electrical energy systems and I think the zaps are related to this effect in some cases. Perhaps the electrical resistance of the cerebral spinal fluid is altered temporarily allowing more energy to flow.

Everytime I have taken 4-AcO-DMT over 10mg I get these zaps. Everytime I take HBWR seeds I also get the zaps. They distinctly originate at the base of spine and rise to the head. Those are the only two substances produce the effect for me. I also get zaps sometimes when I am near sleep and have for about ten years, although the intensity varies greatly and comes and goes over time.

Boognish said:
I used to get these specifically on 4-aco-dipt during moderate to high dose trips. However, the type that happen as you're going to sleep - I started getting when withdrawing from alcohol, and my doctor told me that it happens as a result of low potassium levels/electrolyte levels.

I got something similar, but far stronger from high doses of 4-aco-dipt. They were closer to a full-body electric shock through my entire cns than to a brain zap.

After a weekend's MDMA abuse mybrain felt as if it were loose in my skull, and every time i moved it ZAPPED me. Horrifying and I never touched MDMA again.

i had taken klonopin and dilaudid each day for a couple days, and because of its absurdly long half-life the kpin accumulated and the third day when i mixed them there was too much klonopin in my system and i had a mini-OD. then i had these brain zaps for a couple days

Ahh at last an explanation for the strange phenomena that had previously been known as "The Sparks"

Had a real bad dose of "The Sparks" after taking loads of E at a festival about 3 years ago. Me and a mate munched our way through a bag of 50 pills. Finally get home and layed in bed nodding off and KAPOW!! bad attack of "The Sparks"

Haven't caned it like that since and can't remember having "The Sparks" since. I am treating the condition with revernece in the hope that "The God of Sparks" continues to spare me,

Serotonin is the common denominator between SSRI's and MDMA so it could have something to do with serotonin levels, but I think there may be more than one kind of the 'zaps'.

theghostofbillhicks said:
After a weekend's MDMA abuse mybrain felt as if it were loose in my skull, and every time i moved it ZAPPED me. Horrifying and I never touched MDMA again.

That sounds exactly like my last (previous and final) experience with MDMA

Luckily I've never had them, although I do sometimes get this sudden static sound in my ear for around 10 seconds. The only thing that gets me is mdma which gives me depression and voices in my head for a day after whenevr I try and rest.

A bit o/t (sorry) but do any of you know what causes jolts in the body. Like when your using the toilet and sudenly get this small lunge thing.?

This one time I almost fell asleep in a trance, and then it felt like dentist drills running down my spine from my head.

Once the zaps become fits you really really ought to stop.

Oh, man , I read zophens reply, and I thought the subject serious. Now after having read from begining to end, I`m like ... shaking my head :| like SERIOUS,

Yeah, zophens right.
Bit scary too, :( . I havn`t exp. zaps, but I read a reply from e1evene1even
Sometimes there might be bursts of energy, called Kriyas,

hellraiser666
He mentions explosions, and I can agree with the energy idea. Some people they get opened up, the Chakras, and energy gets released that maybe individuals are not ready for. The mind is an untapped mindfield, no pun intended.
You know maybe that is what happened. I know about the energy bursts from experience, but that was from a practice. And they can feel like electric shots and currents, so thinking about it , it`s very possible. And they can hurt immensely!!

They did start off as explosions and such, take a look here:

click the annoying thing in the middle, and scroll down till you see sections in yellow.. ;)
http://www.energyenhancement.co.uk/Vanessa_Graham_Meditation_Testimonial.html

Last edited:
I was in a deep meditative state and felt that explosion sensation, but it stayed centered in my spine between my shoulder blades. This energy formed a triangle each corner formed a circle and didnt come to a point. The energy trail traveled down to what seemed to be my left kidney, as this happened the triangle in my vision filled in resembling the same sensation...the flow of energy continued to the last corner and my right kindey felt like it exploded. The triangle popped at the resembling point like a guitar string. I jumped up and it seemed like nothing happened, but I was worried to try that direction again.

**that was without drugs.

Last edited:
Careful guys... From my own experience, ignoring the "zaps" in your head after MDMA abuse, can lead to sleep paralysis (amongst other problems).
Some of you will have already experienced this and many are afraid to talk about it. They ARE linked to each other and it's a good sign to take a break from pills.

I didn't listen to the signs and put myself through months of hell getting rid of these NASTY symptoms!

Occasionally, I get brain zaps and sleep paralysis after drinking and trying to go to bed. Is this normal?

I've been getting something similar to these since long before I did any recreational drugs... then again, I was a Ritalin/Adderall zombie all throughout school :(