• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The Big and Bangin' Pseudo-Advanced Drug Chemistry, Pharmacology and More Thread, V.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ho, I was under the impression that the main reason why opiates are so addicting outside of the withdrawal sense of the word is because they induce DeltaFosB in the nucleus accumbens, my textbook said that there are opiate receptors on the GABA neurons that inhibit the nucleus accumbens, and that when opoids bind there they inhibit the GABA and that results in release of neurotransmitters downstream / activation of the nucleus accumbens.

I've also been told that addiction related DeltaFosB is induced mainly in D1 type medium spiny neurons - I don't think D2 is playing as big of a role in addiction but D2 in the striatum could be playing a role in locomotive sensitization seen with amphetamine and such. Antipsychotics apparently even induce DeltaFosB in D2 type MSNs if I recall correctly. Hope this was helpful.

Hey Cotcha,

Thanks! I recall when of your other threads about DeltaFosB, which I'm assuming is a transcription factor. Are there any drugs out there that inhibit COMT? I haven't come across any.

Yes sir a transcription factor that strengthens the dopamine signal. The COMT inhibitors I'm aware of besides EGCG (which is probably extremely weak) are the ones used in Parkinson's such as entacapone.

They might have some use in depression but I would assume for most they would be psychosis inducing - COMT malfunction is implicated in schizophrenia.

COMT is especially important for dopamine breakdown in the PFC where there is no DAT to clear dopamine.

Can someone explain how positive calcium ion influx when the action potential reaches the terminal button works to fuse vesicles to the presynaptic membrane and cause excytotosis?

Can someone explain how positive calcium ion influx when the action potential reaches the terminal button works to fuse vesicles to the presynaptic membrane and cause excytotosis?

I think they bind to a protein on the cytoskeleton and that induces the cytoskeleton to bind to and move the vesicles towards the membrane. Then for the actual fusion, SNARE proteins are involved.

[h=1]"Muscimol induces state-dependent learning" What is SDL.[/h]http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0006899395003038

Does L-DOPA bind to the tRNA for tyrosine, and as a result get incorporated into proteins, at least in some cells?

Does L-DOPA bind to the tRNA for tyrosine, and as a result get incorporated into proteins, at least in some cells?
Yes, it's been observed in Parkinson's patients.

In vitro studied have shown serious implications of these substitutions, including mitochondrial dysfunction and the formation of autophagic vacuoles. I don't think these effects have ever been traced specifically back to L-DOPA containing proteins in Parkinson's patients, but it's quite likely that this is a significant factor in L-DOPA's toxicity.

There's probably not much L-DOPA around in the cell nuclei of individuals not undergoing exogenous therapy.

Can someone explain a bit to me about one of the morphine rules and opioid SAR, particularly the quaternary carbon?

It doesn't seem like the quaternary carbon itself can get involved in much interaction with the receptor site, but I assume that instead the carbon being any less than quaternary in that part of the pharmacophore would preclude proper binding somehow?

Or does the Q carbon somehow determine the overall geometry of the molecule in an important way, is it rather that a neopentylene (do I get that right?) moiety must be present sterically?

And what are some examples of the boundaries of this rule? Heteroatomic substitution? What are curious opioids that defy this morphine rules, or others for that matter?

200px-Aconitine.svg.png
This shit looks crazy
The 3 D Picture actually looks like a dog with a tennis racket in his mouth LOL
200px-Aconitine-xtal-3D-sticks-skeletal.png

Can someone explain a bit to me about one of the morphine rules and opioid SAR, particularly the quaternary carbon?

It doesn't seem like the quaternary carbon itself can get involved in much interaction with the receptor site, but I assume that instead the carbon being any less than quaternary in that part of the pharmacophore would preclude proper binding somehow?

Or does the Q carbon somehow determine the overall geometry of the molecule in an important way, is it rather that a neopentylene (do I get that right?) moiety must be present sterically?

And what are some examples of the boundaries of this rule? Heteroatomic substitution? What are curious opioids that defy this morphine rules, or others for that matter?

I'm not too sure the quarternary carbon is off much importance to opioid SAR. The more polar groups are much more significant factors that affect the affinity of a compound to the mu opioid receptor. For example, several open chain opioid analogues exist, some with several times the potency of morphine itself (e.g. fentanyl), implying that the rings in morphine are not THAT important. We would call morphine a rigidified structure, and rigidified structures often have incredibly high affinities at receptors because they exist in a conformation close to the conformation an open chain analogue would bind to in the receptor. If an open chain analogue has to change its conformation to one different from its energy minimised conformation, then it is less likely to bind as it spends less time in higher energy conformations. So fixing a drug to a certain conformation (often done by nature with many toxins) can result in very strong binding. I think that it just so happens that the conformation of morphine is pretty good, but nowhere near the optimal conformation for strongest binding to mu. We know this because there exist several open chain opioid analogues with several times the potency of morphine (e.g. fentanyl analogues and methadone analogues to name a few). This suggests that functional groups play a much greater role in SAR than shape of molecule. I will briefly discuss the main points in opioid SAR.

The nitrogen in morphine plays an important part in SAR. First of all, if the nitrogen has 4 alkyl groups on it, and is thus charged (for example in methylnaltrexone), then it is too polar to cross the blood brain barrier and will have no psychoactive effects. It still binds strongly to peripheral opioid receptors, and this tells us that when the opioid is bound to the receptor, the nitrogen is charged (and thus protonated in the brain) when it binds to mu. It forms an ionic bridge with a negatively charged amino acid residue (such as aspartate). It's observed that making the nitrogen secondary in morphine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normorphine) significantly reduces potency. I think this is because normorphine can act has a H-bond donor, which disrupts the ionic bridge by changing its angle or something. So a tertiary nitrogen is important for good opioid activity. And as you will see, almost all opioids in clinical use have a tertiary nitrogen.

The 3-OH group in morphine plays an important role in binding. It acts as a H-bond donor. Adding a methyl group at this position (codeine) significantly reduces potency.

The 6-OH group in morphine is not involved in binding very much at all and is not significant. It can be replaced by (long) alkyl substituents and still retain potency. Thus one can add lipophilic substituents on this group, like in heroin, to increase concentration of the blood reaching the brain.

The ether bridge is not important for binding to mu, but removing it increases the time taken for the blood to reach the brain. Ethers are weird in that they slightly increase polarity but not massively. Diethyl ether is a non polar solvent, of course. I think, to cross the BBB most effectively, you need in general a pretty lipophilic compound, with a few hydrophilic spots to stabilise it initially as it approaches the phosphate head (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not too sure on all that logic). Ethers suit this purpose best. Alcohols, less so, and carboxylic acids cross the BBB in very small proportions. I think it is something to do with ethers not having a labile hydrogen, and thus it is not that unfavourable for them to be surrounded completely by alkyl chains in the phospholipid bilayer, at least less unfavourable than alcohols and carboxylic acids.

Hydrogenating the double bond in morphine increases potency. It relieves some strain on the molecule, and lets the molecule conform to a slightly more optimal binding conformation. More evidence that the morphine conformation is by no means the best opioid conformation for strongest binding.

Adding an alcohol group on carbon 14 increases potency (e.g oxycodone, oxymorphone). This is likely because this group acts as a H bond donor or acceptor while bound to the receptor.

Thanks very much, I forgot to say that I was very interested to read this. :)

This shit looks crazy
The 3 D Picture actually looks like a dog with a tennis racket in his mouth LOL
200px-Aconitine-xtal-3D-sticks-skeletal.png
It's clearly an ant, at best an ant with a dog's head in it's mouth.

Could this operate on a basis akin to the pyrovalerones?
You've got me wondering which property of provalerones you may be refering to. Please do tell.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4469479/figure/F10/

nihms683066f10.jpg

Anyone understand what is meant by "Fo-Fc densities for ligands complexed with (fruit fly) DAT"? Surprisingly, N-methyl-amphetamine is less dense than simple dextro-amphetamine.

F = Fourier transform coefficient Factor used in X-ray crystallography to determine electron density of a molecule: Fo-Fc difference between observed Fo and calculated Fc (calculated) Factor. It basically gives you a 3D map of electron density of your molecule under X-ray.
Now that being said, you may be comparing apples and oranges if you're comparing the PEAs and the tropanes. The former act by activation of intracellular located trace amine associated receptor type 1 TAAR1 to induce DA release.. the latter block synaptic cleft DA reuptake.
nb: the PEAs are so flexible that actually the corresponding crystal structure-determined electronic maps maybe meaningless: they will crystallize in all sort of conformations depending on all sort of conditions such as salt, temperature, solvent....etc let alone in the presence of bunch of proteins, lipids, ions ..etc. As like when you smoke'em (ie at their TAAR1 receptor). The best approximation of the "active" conformation would be co-crystallize the PEA bound with its TAAR1 receptor. But that's a million dollar question that could keep a PhD thesis student busy ...depending of how many years it will take him to get the right conditions to crystallize and get the protein-ligand complex Fo-Fc ..

F = Fourier transform coefficient Factor used in X-ray crystallography to determine electron density of a molecule: Fo-Fc difference between observed Fo and calculated Fc (calculated) Factor. It basically gives you a 3D map of electron density of your molecule under X-ray.
Now that being said, you may be comparing apples and oranges if you're comparing the PEAs and the tropanes. The former act by activation of intracellular located trace amine associated receptor type 1 TAAR1 to induce DA release.. the latter block synaptic cleft DA reuptake.

I knew this, yes. My mention was comparing dextro-N-methyl-amphetamine with dextro-amphetamine.

Why does diastereomeric recrystallisation work?

What are the molecular reasons behind why 2 enantiomers can't be separated with chromotography but 2 diastereomers can?

[h=1]"Muscimol induces state-dependent learning" What is SDL.[/h]http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0006899395003038

State dependent learning is the idea that memories you form in an altered state (of various kinds, not necessarily just drug-induced altered states, this also has some applications in the study/potential therapy of PTSD) are better retrieved when in that altered state, i.e. a scientific spin on the old saw about getting drunk in order to find your keys which you lost when drunk. Kind of tangentially at best related but perhaps the inreverse of this is that the effects of drugs do also depend on external circumstances, i.e. overdosage being more likely in unfamiliar circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.