• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

The afterlife...

Honestly, i think death is where we were before life. I have no belief in an afterlife and i'll tell you why. There's no memories in an afterlife. Meanwhile i have memories of a life before my own, so how do you explain that? Not with the future
-G ;)

Honestly, i think death is where we were before life. I have no belief in an afterlife and i'll tell you why. There's no memories in an afterlife. Meanwhile i have memories of a life before my own, so how do you explain that? Not with the future
-G ;)

If you believe in life before this life, then doesn't that necessitgate a belief in life after this life, too? Unless you believe that, for whatever reason, this life is the last one. Which seems very arbitrary, to me it's either "this is the only life" or "there are infinite lives".

I suppose i'm more interested in genetic memory; in italics because i don't know where science draws the line here
-G :cool:

Well there is something to the idea of genetic memory. Of particular interest are studies that have been done on epigenetics, particularly how trauma from PTSD and the like can be passed on to children, in terms of changes to brain structure. There is compelling evidence to suggest this may be possible/may happen.

Well we do seem to have some sort of collective memory as a species that one could characterize as genetic memory, a good example being trypophobia. Certainly not absurd like homeopathy. We are all essentially different versions of the same person weirdly enough.

Yeah, phobias are another example, that seems like a likely case for genetic memory, if such a thing exists (which it appears to, at least to some extent).

Yeah, phobias are another example, that seems like a likely case for genetic memory, if such a thing exists (which it appears to, at least to some extent).
Phobias are too broad an area to say for certain that they are all attributed somehow to (biological) genetic memory but agree no doubt, many fear instincts, are. It's really interesting to see many infants sensory aversion to plants, etc. for example.

Last edited:
Genetic memory? Sounds suspiciously like the pseudoscience of homeopathy to me. Water memory? :LOL:
It actually does lol I guess there are two paradigms 1). The psychological 2.) The biological.
The psychological one is more theoretical and although it is really, interesting and qualitatively valid, the concept can be doctored more easily by Deepak Chopra-Esque, rhetoricians.
The biological paradigm (which informs the psychological) concerns genetics.

Last edited:
Generic memory, as far as humans go, strikes me as a term similar to quantum teleportation. A real term with real implications but almost never used casually to mean anything remotely based in reality.

I think you should at least see the part where he's falling through a green screen of fire effects. That part got me laughing so hard.

You have to see very far, not too far to get lost into your own imagination but you have to see very far. So you have to know how to control it, you have to see what would be beyond. Some windish winter landscapes, people wandering there. If there is an afterlife, this is the one. It's on Earth but reserved.

Well there is something to the idea of genetic memory. Of particular interest are studies that have been done on epigenetics, particularly how trauma from PTSD and the like can be passed on to children, in terms of changes to brain structure. There is compelling evidence to suggest this may be possible/may happen.

Agreed. There's something to this. Take the saying "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" to me this relates to behaviours that are inherent.

As much as we try not to be like our ancestors there is something in our genetics that's passed on weather we like it or not. If we can understand that certain behaviours don't belong to us,but to our predecessors then we can change the pattern and the coding into a new behaviour that will inevitably be passed on. Therefore we improve the behaviour of the human race.

Sometimes I believe there's an afterlife and other times not. I can see signs in things that there's more to this life than just this,but then the analytical part of my brain says that these are things I want to see and believe because I need to make sense of why I'm here,the point of it all and to rationalise that which I don't understand.

Is there a master plan or is it all just random trippyness? Is it just a great big fucking trip.
Heaven and hell are here on Earth and the way we access it is through psychedelic plants,this opens your mind to all that is,that you can create whatever the fuck you like and if you believe it then becomes your truth.

There's a great set of books that I love to read from time to time by the author Don Miguel Ruiz.