• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the 2014/2015 nfl thread v. R U RDY 4 SUM FOOTBAW?

Stevie Johnson to the Chargers. I was worried there for a second with all the reports he was meeting with the Pats!

from: Can the Bills Make a Run at the AFC East Title in 2015 Despite QB Concerns?:
Yes, the Buffalo Bills are stuck in a division with the defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots, and yes, the Pats have won 11 of the last 12 AFC East crowns. But it actually appears as though Buffalo—which is coming off just its second winning season this century—and its AFC East peers may be closing the gap on New England.
But did they get strong enough to slay the Goliathan Patriots?
No wonder the Bills led the NFL with 54 sacks while being one of three defenses to record 30 or more takeaways last season... There's little doubt they'll do extensive damage again in 2015.
The Bills are taking a lot of chances here, and it'll inevitably help with ticket sales as they build hype around a team that suddenly possesses a lot of familiar names and faces. But will that be enough to get them back to the top of the AFC East for the first time in 16 years? A lot of stars still must align.
(my emphasis)

alasdair

I agree. Steelers and Pats fans know that a championship calibre team is the most imperative cog in a team's wheel to win in the Playoffs

the Bills just aren't there yet mang

AFCE is a joke. try playing in the AFCN LOLOLOL jokers

AFCE is a joke.
steelers last 5 games against afc east opponent:

2014, week 10: lost 13-20 to the jets
2013, week 14: lost 28-34 to the dolphins
2013, week 10: won 23-10 over the bills
2013, week 9: lost 31-55 to the patriots
2013, week 6: won 19-6 over the jets

2-3 against that joke of a conference. what does that say? the loss to the pats was a franchise record in points allowed...

:)

alasdair

Last edited:
the loss to the pats was a franchise record in points allowed...

tumblr_niiborxBcA1s3ewmvo1_400.gif

AFCE is a joke. try playing in the AFCN LOLOLOL jokers
no comment yet on steelers losing record against such a joke of a conference...

let's take a look at the afc east's record against the afc north over the last 5 seasons: afce 20-22 afcn

pretty close. the afc east holds its own against the afc north. if it was the joke you claim it is, why isn't the record better?

alasdair

Im not sure if this is legit, but wtf if it is.. The NFL is tax exempt? Lol what a joke if it is.

The National Football League is one of the most profitable businesses in America, yielding almost 10 billion dollars in annual revenue – yes, billion. With a B. So why is the NFL considered a tax-exempt nonprofit, meaning they pay absolutely nothing in taxes?

As Americans like you and me prepare to pay our taxes, it really makes me angry that every single one of us will pay more than a gigantic business like the NFL. Other sports leagues like the NBA and MLB pay their fair share in taxes, so why shouldn't the NFL?

I'm proud that a State Senator in my home state, Brad Hoylman, has introduced a new bill in the New York legislature that would effectively revoke the NFL’s nonprofit status. The NY legislature has this power because the NFL is headquartered in New York City – in fact, in the same district that Senator Hoylman represents.

I started a petition on Change.org calling on the New York legislature to pass Senator Hoylman's bill to strip the NFL of its tax-exempt nonprofit status. Will you click here to sign?

Nonprofit laws are supposed to help organizations that serve the public good, organizations that need the money they would have paid in taxes to do important, charitable work. I like football like millions of other Americans, but I don't think anyone in America would see the NFL as a charitable organization! It just doesn't make sense that the NFL would get the same financial protections as a soup kitchen.

There's an obvious reason why the NFL enjoys its tax-free privileges: The NFL spends more money on lobbying than any other sports league.

The NFL might have more money than you or me, but that doesn't mean we can't make our voices heard. Last year, a petition to Congress on this issue got more than 400,000 signatures. I know that if we can put that same kind of pressure on the New York state legislature, we can solve this issue for good.

Click here to sign my petition calling on the New York state legislature to revoke the NFL's tax-exempt non-profit status.

Thanks,

Bill Wolfsthal
New York, New York

https://www.change.org/p/congress-revoke-the-tax-exempt-status-of-the-national-football-league

People making the slave wages on minimum wage pay taxes but the bloody NFL doesn't. Thats fucked.:?

yah dude the NFL not paying taxes is a fucking crime against humanity. we could be paying be paying for universal health care with that money

it's weird that people are finally noticing that fact nowadays. it's good - perhaps this will be the change??

Steelers did lose to the Jest. but hey - you can count on the Steelers to play down to shitty competition. I could say the same thing about the Browns having a penchant of beating New Zealand throughout this past decade, to illustrate such a point

and ali if you don't think that the Pats would automatically lose at least 3 (their better years) to 5 (their worse years) games a season if they so happened to move to the AFC North; I don't know what to tell ya. there is a huge difference between Miami and Pittsburgh; Baltimore and Buffalo; and Cincinnati and New York

let's face it - the AFC East has been perennially the worst conference in the NFL for easily the past decade. while the AFC North has been vice versa this past decade

and ali if you don't think that the Pats would automatically lose at least 3 (their better years) to 5 (their worse years) games a season if they so happened to move to the AFC North; I don't know what to tell ya.
pats last 5-years results against the afc north:

beat the ravens 35-31
beat the bengals 43-17
beat the ravens 41-7
beat the browns 27-26
beat the steelers 55-31
lost to bengals 6-13
lost to ravens 13-28
lost to ravens 30-31
beat the ravens 23-20
lost to steelers 17-25
beat the steelers 39-26
lost to browns 14-34
beat the ravens 23-20
beat the bengals 38-24

record 9-5
points for 374
points against 333

i'd say the pats play pretty well against the afc north.

alasdair

lol. axl's opinion of his team and his conference in the context of their record against the 'joke of a division' afc east is rarely grounded in actual reality...

alasdair

Packers free agent Letroy Guion avoids prosecution, pays $5,000 fine

Guion was pulled over for a failure to maintain a single lane, at which point police found 357 grams of marijuana, a registered gun and $190,028.81 in cash. Guion has maintained the cash came from football paychecks.

Katz said Guion reached a plea deal Tuesday in which he paid a $5,000 fine, and as a first-time offender the charges were dismissed.

Court documents on the case were not immediately available.

Meanwhile, Guion's separate civil case — his attempt to retrieve his money and vehicle from the arrest — is ongoing.

Im really not sure why he has to sue to get his legally obtained money back from the justice system.

you called it.

sad that a bunch of teams who don't know the rules and got their panties in a bunch had to get the rules changed to have a fighting chance :)

alasdair

the other side of the coin is that the Pats get special treatment, due to being in bed with Roger Goodell. but I'm more playing Devil's Advocate, here

I just despise how some conferences get it far easier. I also hate the NFC South fwiw. I also hate playing the Ravens twice in a year - they do things like break your QB's nose or your RB's arm (after hits were placed on them). I know the Jets would be physically the most comparable, but c'mon...

the fact is the AFC North has been the best conference for about a decade; if you go by the NFL's (superb) playoff system, that is

blah blah blah jim.

you said the afc east is a joke of a conference but the steelers have a losing record against the division in the last couple of years (including the biggest points-allowed loss in the history of your franchise).

then i demonstrated that the record between the afce and the afcn is a lot closer than you're implying (0.476 vs. 0.523)

then you said the patriots couldn't cut it in the afc north and i showed you how that's untrue (9-5 against the afcn in last 5 seasons).

you hate playing the ravens? i bet - your record against the ravens in the last 5 seasons is 5-7 (.416). the patriots record against the ravens over the same period? 4-2 (.666). i.e. much better :)

i understand getting behind your team but you're just out of touch with reality on this subject.

alasdair

if you don't at least see the AFC East as one of the weakest divisions in football, and the AFC North as one of the strongest divisions in football; then I really don't know what to say. reality, as well

^ what you're saying and the history between the two divisions don't match up, jim.

maybe you don't put much stead in metrics like, you know, winning games?

the fact is that, ask most football fans who's stronger, then sure the ravens, bengals and steelers seem stronger than the jets, bills and dolphins. i mean, they just must be, right?

but when you actually take a look at when they play each other, the afc east does great against the afc north.

if you want as objective a measure as possible, you have to look at dvoa. here's a site that does that: NFL Division Strength (2002-2013).

in almost all of those categories: Best & Worst Division Records in Non-Division Games; Best & Worst Division Scoring Differentials in Non-Division Games; Best & Worst DVOA - Offense & Defense; etc.

the afc east stacks up better than the afc north.

we'll never agree on this but i believe your unable to view this as objectively as you need to to be able to discuss it without just sounding like yet another football fan. you'll be telling me that the steelers have the best wide receiving corp. in all of football :)

and i'm not blindly anti-steelers (the way many people are blindly anti-patriots) - you guys have a solid qb, one of the best rbs in the game and maybe the best wr in the game.

alasdair