• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Thailand considering legalising crystal meth

Thaksin went on his own personal drug war, telling the police to have no mercy on drug dealers as the meth problem was just out of control. Thousands of people were killed by the police and military. A lot of innocent people and a lot of casual users. The price of meth tripled at this time. But nothing changed..

Yep, just before I visited Thailand for the first time, the following, to which I guess you are referring, is what happened.

2003 February - Controversial crackdown on drugs starts; more than 2,000 suspects are killed. The government blames many of the killings on criminal gangs; rights groups say extra-judicial killings were encouraged by the authorities.

It was well over 2000. In under a month. The police and govt blamed it on 'motorcycle gangs'. I've never really forgiven Thailand for this. While I was there they also found some Burmese asylum seekers in a boat, cut its sails, threw the oars in the sea, and towed the boat out into waters miles from anywhere. Saves on bullets I guess.

It's an interesting point you make Consumer that this (legalisation of meth) could only come from the military, not an elected government. I understand that and its a good point, well made.

Big G, you have to go there to understand how ubiquitous meth is. The stories go that workers in factories are even given free yabba to make production rise. Though yabba is crap compared to crystal.

Much of Thailand's meth/yabba comes from Burma. Junta to junta. Oh, sorry, Burma's a democracy now right? ;)

This could finally be the BL meetup we've been waiting for!

Yep, just before I visited Thailand for the first time, the following, to which I guess you are referring, is what happened.

It was well over 2000. In under a month. The police and govt blamed it on 'motorcycle gangs'. I've never really forgiven Thailand for this. While I was there they also found some Burmese asylum seekers in a boat, cut its sails, threw the oars in the sea, and towed the boat out into waters miles from anywhere. Saves on bullets I guess.

It's an interesting point you make Consumer that this (legalisation of meth) could only come from the military, not an elected government. I understand that and its a good point, well made.

Big G, you have to go there to understand how ubiquitous meth is. The stories go that workers in factories are even given free yabba to make production rise. Though yabba is crap compared to crystal.

Much of Thailand's meth/yabba comes from Burma. Junta to junta. Oh, sorry, Burma's a democracy now right? ;)

Yes i cant see this happening under normal Thai democracy. Maybe Thaksin could have pulled it off as he had the popularity and did what he wanted. His mistake was putting himself (in his mind) above the King. The King of Thailand is universally loved by the entire population. He has no real power as such but incredible influence. He has always been a force for good in Thailand. I fear for the country when he passes. His son is a playboy and nothing like him.

The more i think about this, and i was talking to my mate and his Thai wife about this today I think things will change in Thailand. They know the current policy does not work. It has done nothing but create more problems. And loss of face / respect for the ruling classes. I think they will decrim use and even possibly regulate supply to cut off the flow of money to Burma and Laos. Thai's always act in the best interest of thais, not Farang (foreigners) so outside pressure while significant will only have so much influence on the military rulers. Reading the Bangkok Post opinions are devided about how to go about this (as people are in shock at this announcement) but the mood is that things need to change. I will certainly be following this closely.

As far as meth being horribly toxic shit. Well not surprising if its made badly. Especially the red phos/iodine type routes can create some nasty byproducts. Its a very harsh reduction system. *snip*

Last edited by a moderator: