• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Tell me I'm not alone in wanting to travel

hey little vegeemite!!
where abouts are you going?? I am leaving in less than three weeks too!! We should meet up somewhere, south-of-the-border style, down mexico way (even tho we will be in Euroland
smile.gif
)
Let me know ur plans. I'm meeting up with skydancer, AJ and Miss Apples in amsterdam for some joints, so perhaps you would like to skin up with us there?? let me know mmmkay.

Yeah i have the travel bug too! my friend and i are planning to go o/s next year or year after for about 6-7 weeks : Singapore,UK, switzerland, italy and france then thailand on the way back!! Hard to plan though cos we want to go when it's summer there but we only have 4 weeks of hilodays for semester break at uni
frown.gif
i just went o/s during the olympics but already feel restless and want a change of scene. i feel like there's so much to see and experience but so little time and $$$$$
uhoh3.gif

I can't believe I've missed this thread.
Ok now like everyone in my family I love to travel. It's in my gene's to travel.
Unfortunately I haven't had that much of an opportunity to go anywhere much, but I really can't wait to just pack up and not come back, well not for a very long time anyway.
The only overseas holiday I've been to was when I went to Bali in June. Have to say I enjoyed myself over there. I got so excited when I was on the plane and you could see the edge of Australia. That was when I realised that my hard work had finally paid off.
Places I would like to go to are well pretty much everywhere. I love seeing new ways of living and different cultures.
My travel plan for the next 2 to 3 yrs.
South Africa
Bali and Indonesia
North and maybe South America
Europe
That is my current plan, but it changes every so often. I am also keen on going to Egypt and pretty much going all around Asia.
I can't wait till I can finally go somewhere that no one else in my family has been to before. Chances are though that someone will get there before I do. Oh well.

Great thread.
I was bitten by the travel bug at a young age. When I was 7 years old my parents took us through the middle east, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Austria, France, England and Germany. As an adult I have done the US and Canada thing but most of the trip was preplanned and didnt have that element of mystery about it. So lately I have been having these crazy thoughts of quiting the job, selling whatever I can and backpacking around the world. I really want to see these countries:
Thailand
Vietnam
India
Nepal
Pakistan
Turkey
Egypt
and of course Africa
Talking of Africa, there is a huge doof in Morocco for New Years. Some of the biggest names in psy-trance are going to be there on this desert island for 3 mystical days. Checkout the site:
http://www.morocco2001.com/
Now, if only I had the money for the plane ticket! Oh well, maybe next year.
By the way how much money do you think you would need for backpacking through some of the above places for 6 months or so if you are willing to live really cheaply?
------------------
"Curiouser and curiouser!"

MS -> Be warned!!! Bug-de-travelling is one devil that just does not go away or let up!
You'll be tempted by him many atime, in your darkest hours whilst at work he'll tap you on the shoulder, turn you around and BAM! smack you in the mouth where-upon he'll morph into an exotic Thai girl, a sexy italian uni student (ooo la laaaaa), a curvacious Spanish delight, a buxom Dane (he he NOT the canine variety!), a J-rolling, mdma-loving Dutch nymph... All so you can be gob-smacked at the world around us.
If you feel like travelling then....
[H1]GO! God damn it![/H1]
Feed you desire, fill your lungs with Mediterranean sea air, with mountain-chilled air overlooking Mont Blanc, wrap your lips around untried delights (the cullinary kind and whatever else takes your fancy ;-) )...
Just go!
I've been OS now a total of 7 times (the last was a holiday with the gf) and I CAN'T GET ENOUGH!!! From wanting to re-do everything I've done before to doing everything I had no time to do before. The bug-de-travelling has bitten deep and bitten hard. I love you travel bug.
There's much to see and much more to do. Plan ahead and go with the flow.
Peace. Have fun.
------------------
LSD doesn't fry your brain...It e x p a n d s the mind!!
A psychedelic person is not a good citizen..not a good ANYTHING..That is defined by somebody else.

I've travelled a little in my short life...
-all over asia and most recently, i spent the turn of the millenium in Paris. It was so special and definately a huge turning point in my life b/c it was the first time i had eva left the country all by my lonesome!!!
I was a bit intimidated by the tought of travelling by myself, especially cos i was only 17 at the time and hadn't seen much at all, but then i thought, fuck it, i've got some money and the opportunity arose and if i didn't like it, well, i know not to do it again. So i took the plunge and it was the most amazing and memorable time of my life so far.
I met so many people, had so many interesting conversations and grew up so much from all the experiences (good & bad) i had encountered. Most of all, i've made some of the best friends i'll ever have (Australians & french) and basically learnt how to speak the language. It just gives me the biggest buzz to be able to communicate in another language with someone else!
anyway, i'm planning to go back to paris to catch up with everyone again and see the rest of Europe in 2002. And as Mr. Horse said earlier, i think it's really important to plan and plan well. I'm already planning for this next adventure!!!
Not sure if u'r interested but i saw in the papers last week an ad for a meeting concerning "Summer Camps USA" and "Work In London". Its at
William Angliss Tafe
555 Latrobe street
Melbourne
6pm- work in london
7pm- america summer camps
this mite be an opener to get u over there and to start u off. I'm gonna pop down there to have a look.
Anyway, good luck with your travels and i'm sure you'll be on a plane soon

a double edge sorwd my closees friends are all over seas so i have worke acc. and tour gides. how ever i have two beautiful children who would not understand if dad wasn't there so i'll just have to be patient till there old enough to understand or old enough to party with me so for now the only trips i take are the ones where the right fram of mind is the only passport i'll need . do it before u have two many commitments.
------------------

well bang-on this thread was made for me...hehe not that ive done a lot of travelling till this point in my life..but im actually a canadian who's backpoacking australia
smile.gif
although not quite backpacking cause ive set myself up in syd. anyways i first came over here for xmass/nye 99..get this...to meet a guy i met on the net hehe...anyways loved it and things went well so i planned to come back for a year and here i am!!! only travelled round nsw and been to melb for a weekend so far...but i plan to go a circle from syd-->uluru-->adelaide-->melb back to syd...before i go..like my last few mths or something...then on my way home to canada i stop in fiji...planning on doing a 5 day cruise around all the islands and particpating in the real culture of fiji...stop in new zealand and in honolulu. been all over the US cept the one place i wana go new york...the us is where my family is from pretty much...howver its soo simalr to canada thats its like your in the same country anyways. my next trip i wanna do around the world..cause u get 5 stop overs..one in europe...grece...middle east...asia..and of course australia to see all of u again
smile.gif
smile.gif

and i REALLY wanna do asia...its the big hotsopt for any young ppl in canada now not europe..to us europe is passe..even with all the history. and its CHEAP!!! in canada we can get a 1mth ticket for unlimited flights in 10 diff asian countries..isn't a lot of time i know...but enuff to wet the taste buds so u can decide which countries are worth spending more time in.
one of my roomies who is now 36 has really travelled..she went off to europe at 25 with $12,000 starting on a contiki tour..but ended up staying more then 2 years and met her best friends that way...that she still keeps in touch with today. im very envious of her..would love to get that much exposure some day...however talking to her..you know how beneficial it is to travel as much as she did..but she gave up owning her own home to travel.
bah..enuff rambling...

Well as most of you know, I've been travelling since April. Went all around the states and Canada for 4 months and now I'm in London. I've already been to Europe - went two years ago and saw Germany, France, Italy and Amsterdam, as well as staying in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates for a week (very cool place that).
I still want to go to Egypt, Scandinavia, Iceland, Spain, Russia, Greece, Japan, Mexico and Thailand.
But right at this moment I'm homesick and I wanna come home
frown.gif
Fuck London and the freezing weather and having no money and too many fucking people on the tube.
But I'm here for 12 months and it *will* get better.
[This message has been edited by miss apple (edited 08 November 2000).]

Wow, so many well travelled bluelighters.
Those of you who are planning to travel will never regret it. It will change your whole life, beware...... as green alien said you may catch the travel bug
smile.gif

I spent two and a half years overseas. During that time I travelled to the States, Canada, Europe, Turkey and Morocco. I experienced so much... so many different cultures, so many interesting people, many of whom I'm still in contact with today.
I also had the opportunity to live (and work)in London and even better, a little village in Hampshire. The best of both worlds - thatched cottages and inner city London
smile.gif

Without a doubt the most valuable thing I gained from my time os however, was the chance to get to know myself, to grow and to become the person that I am today. I doubt very much that my life would have followed the path that it has had I not jumped on that plane all those years ago.
I may not own my own home like some of my friends do (well they have mortgages anyway
smile.gif
, but I have experienced things that they will never experience when they are young and I really like the person that I am today. Sadly many of them have never taken the time to get to know themselves.
Bon chance intrepid adventurers
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Finn (edited 08 November 2000).]

thanks to everyone who wrote a response, i really do appreciate it, even though i havent made a reply since i started this thread..
Smiley^ - i agree, i think there needs to be an element of 'going wherever the road takes you' when you travel. i wouldnt really want to think everything is planned out before i leave - what happens if i hear of some place only once i'm in the region .. or if i hear that a place i was planning on visiting isnt all that good after all ..
CC - thanks for the encouragement. so far the stories you have told me sounded good.. so one day, yeah, i'll have to ask you about some of the places you've been.
Mr Horse - do it, man. dont come back here ! well at least not yet .. if you're over there you should see if you can stay for a while. you're a lucky bastard in that you have that dual citizenship, and if i was you i wouldnt be in any rush to get back here.
Supaspeed - you're a lucky bastard having seen so many places.. my parents have only taken us as far as bali when i was about 10 years old. since then, its been this country only.
my dad for many years would travel all over the place due to his work .. and would see many places - i had the opportunity to go to the usa last summer with my parents and my little brother, but i chose not to. some may think i was crazy not to go - but i had just turned 18, just gotten out of high school, and i didnt want to be a tourist and party with my parents on new years .. plus the usa doesnt really interest me so much as other countries do .. so i stayed here, had a great time, and went to earthcore for new years..
funkyfella - your expedition sounds awesome ! that will be one amazing experience to be leaving uni and moving off to those places .. though im wondering - for how long do you plan on going ? and approximately how much do you think is adequate to save for something like that ?
funky - you are a lucky girl ! i wish i was able to travel as often as once a year ..
spanishfly - yeah i hope you do make it to trini in the short term. and i can understand why it is you so want to go !
i know what you mean about trying to balance travelling and your career ..
what i'm trying to stick with is doing uni now and then going overseas so that with my qualifications i can earn money a little faster and not have to spend as much time saving .. plus when i get back i dont have to start from scratch ..
decimal dan - the feeling is mutual. hehehe - and i hope you do get the attention that you deserve when you make it over there.
ww7 - yeah i hope i may be able to come up to brisbane but im not sure if i will be able to afford to. its so annoying not having the money to do anything exciting.. but im still hoping ..
caramel - thank you my adorable sister ! such a surprise to see you in here .. and i hope what you say comes true .. maybe some day - i keep dreaming !
atomica - isnt it frustrating that because of school / work, it'll be a while until you can travel again?? i get so frustrated when i think about what i really want to do and how long it will be until i get to ..
arc - that new years morocco thing looks fuckin awesome ! now i wont be satisfied being at earthcore here ! if only ..
greenalien - its easier said than done to go overseas ! how on earth could i do so ? i mean, i need money - if i had the money i think i would be already over there ..
thanks to all of you for sharing your contributions .. there are a lot of people here that have been overseas .. and because of that i envy you !
i do have some questions though :
was anyone in the situation where they were doing uni, started to get sick of it and started feeling like travelling, decided to put uni on hold, got the money together and went ? because i would love to know thats possible and that its a positive thing to do ..
also - have people, when they travelled, felt they were more tourists - staying in hotels that are similar to here, and basically moving through countries and seeing sights - or do you feel you were more like a backpacker / traveller type that sorta got more into the real side of the country and even had to work at some points .. ?
ohh and how much did people find that they spent - and was that more or less than what would generally be spent ? im interested to know because i wouldnt have a clue how much it would cost .. ok it really depends on your choice of accomodation and food, etc, and where you are in the world .. but i'd still like to know if anyone has advice.
rotcol.gif

A friend of mine just did a few years traveling around euorope and the middle east.
He basically booked a flight to turkey (for lack of anywhere better to go), filled a backpack and headed off with no particular plans.
He then travelled from place to place meeting other backpackers and locals and got to see some awesome stuff. He eventually ended up in Spain, where he spent 6months learning spanish until he came back here to start a "real job".
It's easy enough to do - you just need to have some money in the bank (as much as you can), have some skills that will get you work (computer skills are great - so is bar work, etc), and an ability to make friends with people quickly and easily. It also takes some guts too!
Just for your info, he spent about 12k in a year during this time (some from savings, some from money earn't working).
As soon as I get sick of my current job, this is exactly the sort of trip I've got in mind.
BTW - if you can get a UK/europe working visa (easy if you have UK releatives) it helps _alot_.

anybody going remotely near Europe should really make an effort to go to Turkey. It is my favourite country that I have been to. I went in winter and stayed in a small hotel in the old part of the city, watching snow fall over the mosques and topkapi palace was beautiful. If you do go make sure that you go into the middle of Turkey to an area known as Cappadocia (?spelling) where there are these ancient underground cities.
Also for something a bit different go to another favourite of mine Tokyo. This place is just nuts, and all your friends will be jealous when you come back with heaps of cool stuff.

MikeySammy - at last a thread that does not involve music, drugs or silliness. I'm starting to think that you are the only serious one on here.
wink.gif

Man - Travel Travel Travel.......everyone has to get out of this fucking country at least for a bit. If you never do - you have no idea of what you are missing. Home is always going to be home, but there are some amazing places out there waiting for you!!!!
There are soooooo many places to go, and sooooooo many things to see!!!! I could rant and rave on about all the places/things/sites etc that I have seen, been and experienced, but you have to do it yourself and make your own judgement.
I'm out of here (OZ) in May 2002 for good, well at least for a long while so, as you can see, the travel bug bites and bites hard. Australia is a wonderful place full of amazing things but hey we live here!!!
Go away, for a long time, take like 2 years out of your life to experience it all - everywhere - live to travel........
------------------
Carola's humblest servant
VaN d

van dieman thank you ! i certainly hope to !
i want to spend years travelling everywhere and soaking up the culture and atmosphere of places further away from here than i can imagine.
its one of the only things im certain of - that i want to spend a long time away...
but for now, here will have to do. i have things i need to do that have grounded me.
namely lack of money

My best friend was studying law at Melb uni and deffered to travel around europe,carribean and various other places for a year.She came back and finished her degree and then this year went off to China to do some further study and is now working and living in Mongolia(lucky bitch)
So yeah Mikey, it is possible
smile.gif

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
smile.gif

argh i know the feeling Mikey!
I am (quite literally) going crazy sitting here, climbing up the walls, thinking about all the places I want to go. It scares the hell out of me to even imagine myself NOT going o/s after earning some money and finishing uni (actually I'd drop uni in a second if i had the money).
My sister has been tavelling around for years , pretty much around the whole world - and i am so green just thinking about how lucky she is - and just recently shes slowed down and married a nice english chap
smile.gif

damn you all for getting my thoughts back onto travel. My first stop would be Asia.. maybe Thailand (hey i loved the book version of The Beach :p (hence the name)), travel around those parts for a bit, then onto Europe, do some sightseeing, get on over to London to earn some money and freeze my nuts off (all the while admiring the old buildings, nightclubs and warm beer
biggrin.gif
)
oh, so much to see and do, it makes me want to cry (with happiness) just thinking about it.
If i were a rich man, duh duh duh...
~MisterDuck
PS: Could all you experienced travel people please tell us unexperienced people how much it costs you to go to all these places like mort did, and what quality accomodation you were getting for those prices if possible, please, thank you.. i'll shut up now
[This message has been edited by Daffy (edited 17 November 2000).]

travelling is the best thing i have ever done in my life. i originally left for a 6 month wizz around the US, canada etc and ended up staying away for 3 years and visiting nearly 30 countries.
i met a lovely girl whilst travelling and we even got married whilst living OS.
some of the friends i made whilst traveling will be friends for life.
it wasn't all beer and skittles, there were some hard times too, but if i had the choice i would do it all again, without hesitation.
one downside to travelling for me is that i have found it very hard to settle down. there is so much more i want to see and do. in fact in the 3 years since returning from my big trip i have normally spent about 3 months every year travelling OS again, which is not the worst thing in the world i guess.
IMHO - do it, not next year, not when you're 25, but do it now. you'll be glad you did.
here are some of my travel pics, just to make you jealous.... hehehehehe http://members.nbci.com/mvbhome/travel.html
------------------
Like meatballs through a strainer, so are the days of our lives
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by pink (edited 19 November 2000).]

I've been to Kangaroo Flat
biggrin.gif

------------------
How can you soar like an Eagle when you're working with turkey's?

And thats all the way up the top of Victoria
biggrin.gif

------------------
How can you soar like an Eagle when you're working with turkey's?