• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Teen drinks herself to death at own party

It's because of people like this that we can't have nice things... (like drug decriminalization, except in Portugal.)

And the drinking age in AU is only 18? I didn't know that.

EDIT: I just read the article and burst out laughing. An excerpt. I'll let it speak for itself.

'Counting, or mathematics, was her forte. And so was attention to detail.'

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this is one of risks associated with ethyl alcohol intoxication. It diminishes the consumer's ability to act cautiously with respect to potentially risky situations; potentially deadly (life and death) decisions to be addressed.

Combine that with the feeling many teenagers seem to exhibit: that they're somehow invincible, and the consequences can easily turn tragic for their parents; siblings; loved ones.

It says it was her 18th birthday so that would make it legal to buy and drink (here in Aus anyway).

This is sad, I don't know the drinking age in Australia but obviously the girl was to young and naive to think it was OK to drink an alcohol that strong and she would be safe .God bless her family, and the alcohol shouldn't be banned but I think better public education should be put in place. Warning about the dangers of certain high proof liquors, I believe had the girl known better she wouldn't have consumed so much.

It says it was her 18th birthday so that would make it legal to buy and drink (here in Aus anyway).
True but 18 is definitely far from grown up and responsible, I know me and my friends weren't; not to this extent but still.
I think what lies at the core of irresponsible 18 year olds is that their whole life until that point they were told what to and what not to do.
To drink many had to sneak out and now they have this taste of freedom they go overboard.
Adults treat teenagers like children right until they turn 18 where they then turn them loose on the world and expect them to act like adults without ever really been shown how.

She was 18 so of legal age to drink here in Australia, obviously too young to know any different and no one would have given it a second thought. Think that this particular brand of alcohol has been taken off the shelves in some of the liquor stores here too. She was also a good friend of my son's they were at school together for years,my heart goes out to her family x

No talk of arresting the teenager who gave this poor, probably already drunk girl, an overdose of alcohol? If this were a drug fatality the authorities would be all over him.

No talk of arresting the teenager who gave this poor, probably already drunk girl, an overdose of alcohol? If this were a drug fatality the authorities would be all over him.

Oh, absolutely.

And the community would be outraged (anti-drug warrior ranting... while drinking a few beers... and possibly smoking).

/smh

Don't you need to add chemicals in order to keep it stronger than 95%? Ethanol naturally absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.

it's not really so much that it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere (especially when in a sealed container). but ethanol and water form an azeotrope, that is to say a mixture that cannot be separated beyond a certain point by distillation alone. in order to break the azeotrope you need to co-distill the ethanol with benzene, or you can distill it to ~95% purity and then throw some sodium metal in there, which will react with the remaining water to form NaOH which will settle to the bottom and you can then decant away the ethanol or filter it through a büchner funnel to yield 99+% pure ethanol.