• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Tapering/Detox/Heroin Help.

ladyH

Greenlighter
Hello,

I am new here and slightly desperate.

I have been snorting heroin for almost a year now. Obviously what started as an occasional habit now completely controls my life.

I currently use a .3 about every 2-3 days. Less than that if I decide to binge out.

Over the summer I went through 24 hours of pure agony and hell when I ran out while on vacation. I have actually never experienced pain like that along with huge waves of hot and cold chills. I literally thought I was going to die. I was using a lot more then though than I am now.

I began cutting back after that and have continued to try and do that but I am terrified of what quitting entails. I can go almost 20 hours before I really start feeling like I just cannot function normally. I have hidden this very well and consider myself a "functioning addict". I work full time weekend 12 hour shifts and I am a single parent of 3 children ages 11 9 and 2 so I honestly have no time to be sick. I also have been nervous about seeking out any sort of professional help for this because I don't want my children to be taken away from me or any form of legal action or process to be started or brought against me. I suffer from terrible depression and anxiety which led to my using in the first place. I did however recently receive a prescription for 50mg Zoloft (about 2 weeks ago) in hopes of helping my mental state.

What would be your best advice to me as far as weening and reducing WD symptoms? I don't feel like I have a whole lot of options. I feel trapped and scared and lost and I just want to live a life where I am not controlled by this any longer. I want to remember who I am. Sorry for such a long post I just felt it was necessary to get it all out in hopes of finding some real, solid helpful advice.

Thank you all!

If you can't afford to be down at all you're going to have to have something to fill the receptors. If you're in the US then you could see a sub doctor confidentially. It would taint your medical record but that would only really affect opioid-related decisions. Or, you could taper down with the heroin. At some point you will have to suffer at least some minor withdrawals. There's really no way around that. A taper serves to soften the blow, but there comes a time when you've gotta go to zero. Maybe get a comfort med arsenal together.

A lot of people would flame me for advising a switch to kratom but it really helped me to stop my usage and taper off with minimal pain but you have to have a quitting mindset or you will just replace your addiction to kratom.

Some other supplement s that help are magnesium citrate or glyconate(sp), dlpa, which is amino acid precursor to dopamine and norepinephrine. It is also an enkiphalanaise inhibitor, which slows break down of natural endorphins.

When you jump from the kratom gabapentin and kava will be your friend

Last edited:
Try spacing your hits and only smoke enough to feel a bit well, not high.
Can you taper with subs or pills? H is hard to taper unless you have 1 batch that is all the same strength
Clonidine and benzos help but be careful with benzos

If you can't afford to be down at all you're going to have to have something to fill the receptors. If you're in the US then you could see a sub doctor confidentially. It would taint your medical record but that would only really affect opioid-related decisions. Or, you could taper down with the heroin. At some point you will have to suffer at least some minor withdrawals. There's really no way around that. A taper serves to soften the blow, but there comes a time when you've gotta go to zero. Maybe get a comfort med arsenal together.
What comfort meds do you suggest?

A lot of people would flame me for advising a switch to kratom but it really helped me to stop my usage and taper off with minimal pain but you have to have a quitting mindset or you will just replace your addiction to kratom.

Some other supplement s that help are magnesium citrate or glyconate(sp), dlpa, which is amino acid precursor to dopamine and norepinephrine. It is also an enkiphalanaise inhibitor, which slows break down of natural endorphins.

When you jump from the kratom gabapentin and kava will be your friend
How much kratom would you suggest starting with? I have read that there are different kinds. Which kind works best? Also, I'm not quite sure how I would obtain any gabapentin.
I appreciate your response!

How much kratom would you suggest starting with? I have read that there are different kinds. Which kind works best? Also, I'm not quite sure how I would obtain any gabapentin.
I appreciate your response!

I couldn't really say due to not really knowing the purity of your dope. You should probably experiment on your own. I recommend red borneo or Bali... It's really hard to recommend because the quality and variety by name are often very different by vendor but these are usually sedating and said to be the most opiate like. Green Malay and green mang da are usually good stimulating blends.

If you truly want to be done done then get someone to watch your kids for 2-3 days starting on like day 2 to 3 and just go thru it. You won’t die just feel really bad and be in a bitch mood. Get some Gatorade and ensure and any comfort meds you can ;Imodium for gastric problems and gaba or Xanax to try to sleep. Read , watch movies , take long hot baths or showers .

What comfort meds do you suggest?
Immodium for the gastrointestinal relief. A benzo would be good;like xanax or one on the lighter side of the zonk spectrum like valium, librium, serax etc. Clonidine for blood pressure spikes and neutralizing excess norepinephrine release. Kratom can work wonders. Realize though that most of these comfort meds can become an addiction themselves.
A lot of the withdrawal will be psychological. Distractions are vital. You'd be surprised how good you can feel when you "forget" that you're in withdrawal for a little while. Take it slowly, be gentle to yourself, and take care of you. There's some good info already accumulating in this thread.

If you truly want to be done done then get someone to watch your kids for 2-3 days starting on like day 2 to 3 and just go thru it. You won’t die just feel really bad and be in a bitch mood. Get some Gatorade and ensure and any comfort meds you can ;Imodium for gastric problems and gaba or Xanax to try to sleep. Read , watch movies , take long hot baths or showers .
but in my exp, it doesn't end there at all, the longest wd i had was 1 and a half weeks and i vowed never to go into cold turkey wd like that again and will never forget it, i've always wondered what the heck ya do once you've gone through all the wd and start to get better physically because mentally the shit can still have the tighest grip ever?

To cut down, i've had success using albeit, seriously high doses of gabapentin and pregabalin along with amphetamines, but alot of people can't handle using amps or any stims in withdrawal, i'm not advocating it, but crack cocaine gets rid of 99% of my withdrawals but then there's the cost factor and whether you really want to expose yourself to another potential harmful and addictive substance, but Lyrica/pregabalin at moderate to higher doses (500-1,000mg) help offset about 50% of the wd particularly the major shitty feelings like anxiety and severe cravings but it never kills them entirely like some folks suggest they do.

for kratom, it depends on the purity of the stuff you've been using if your .3 is above 80% pure, should be about 230-250mg of Diamorphine (heroine) which would be equal to about 300mg morphine, the kratom will never suffice unless rediculous amounts are ingested.
I've had success using stronger ROA's but using less frequently such as smoking the dope.

you can minimize the pain by sort of knocking yourself out with sedatives like benzos for the first 2 stages of wd, but the 3rd where you're just deathly ill you may not be able to even take anything as it'll probably make you feel worse physically so theres that.

i wish you luck and hope to see an update with your recovery once you've fought the beast and brought us it's head

Thanks everyone!

Just an update, I am feeling much better about everything. I decided on a plan of action and so far so good at sticking to it.
I confided in my best friend for support. Told her everything and was an honest as possible even though it was horrifying. I've been fueling myself up with good healthy meals and snacks and taking a lot of supplements to help my body be stronger in order to successfully do this. I've cut way back in terms of usage (I'm down to doing a quarter of my usual morning dose at 6am and then I do half of what my normal dose was in the afternoon around 3pm if I'm feeling bad and then non until 6am the next morning) The first 2 days of that were pretty rough...one of which I was at work and took a lot of Excedrin and did a little coke to keep me moving. But this morning I woke up and other than some nausea and stomach pain I felt much better. Did my dose and plan on cutting the afternoon dose down to the same quarter of a dose I've been doing in the morning. Going to try to stick with that for two days as well before hopefully cutting the afternoon out completely. I have also taken 11 days off for my daughter's birthday this weekend so I have some time to really work on myself. I have also been able to smoke some really good weed. When I have strong urges...which have been difficult only on cut days so far really...I just find something to keep myself busy and tell myself constantly that I am stronger than this and the answer is no absolutely not.

I have some kratom, Xanax, and other meds for comfort that you guys have suggested and I am going to have the doctor up my Zoloft dosage when I go back to help balance out anything if I happen to have PAWS symptoms. I am feeling pretty good about it and like I'm going to be successful. Hopefully I can stay strong and not slide backwards in my thinking or actions. I am still open to any and all suggestions with making the jump off stick. I plan to completely stop next week some time. And hopefully since I've decreased my usage so drastically and given myself time to adjust in between each big cut the WD I experience won't be so bad.

This place has made me feel so much less alone. I cannot say thanks enough for the support and suggestions.

LadyH

That's great to hear.
This place is really helpful compared to all the mainstream med/detox sites which all suggest that getting off H can only be done through their detox programmes.

Keep up the updates.

Thanks everyone!

Just an update, I am feeling much better about everything. I decided on a plan of action and so far so good at sticking to it.
I confided in my best friend for support. Told her everything and was an honest as possible even though it was horrifying. I've been fueling myself up with good healthy meals and snacks and taking a lot of supplements to help my body be stronger in order to successfully do this. I've cut way back in terms of usage (I'm down to doing a quarter of my usual morning dose at 6am and then I do half of what my normal dose was in the afternoon around 3pm if I'm feeling bad and then non until 6am the next morning) The first 2 days of that were pretty rough...one of which I was at work and took a lot of Excedrin and did a little coke to keep me moving. But this morning I woke up and other than some nausea and stomach pain I felt much better. Did my dose and plan on cutting the afternoon dose down to the same quarter of a dose I've been doing in the morning. Going to try to stick with that for two days as well before hopefully cutting the afternoon out completely. I have also taken 11 days off for my daughter's birthday this weekend so I have some time to really work on myself. I have also been able to smoke some really good weed. When I have strong urges...which have been difficult only on cut days so far really...I just find something to keep myself busy and tell myself constantly that I am stronger than this and the answer is no absolutely not.

I have some kratom, Xanax, and other meds for comfort that you guys have suggested and I am going to have the doctor up my Zoloft dosage when I go back to help balance out anything if I happen to have PAWS symptoms. I am feeling pretty good about it and like I'm going to be successful. Hopefully I can stay strong and not slide backwards in my thinking or actions. I am still open to any and all suggestions with making the jump off stick. I plan to completely stop next week some time. And hopefully since I've decreased my usage so drastically and given myself time to adjust in between each big cut the WD I experience won't be so bad.

This place has made me feel so much less alone. I cannot say thanks enough for the support and suggestions.

LadyH
Can't agree more.

I'm day 3 into WD from 100mg H a day for 8+ months

Story here good luck to us both :)