• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Taking tramadol and alcohol

Ripplyuk

Bluelighter
I've just had a surgical tooth extraction. The pain is horrendous and nothing has helped so far. I've got some tramadol but it says not to drink alcohol with them or it could cause me to stop breathing. This seems bit dramatic to me, and almost every drug now says avoid alcohol so I've become used to ignoring it (apart from metronidazole). Does anyone know if this combination would be as lethal as they say? Or are the manufacturers just covering their backs legally?

Welcome to Bluelight Ripplyuk!

You're right in that the risk of death is probably a little bit exaggerated. Although, it is very true that combining central nervous system depressants (Ethanol, Benzodiazepines, Barbiturates, Z-Drugs, Opioids etc.) can be dangerous or even deadly. Just like with anything else in life, the danger comes into play when excessive use of either drug is involved.

What I mean, is that there is a difference between taking 50mg of Tramadol (Ultram, Tramacet) then having a couple glasses of wine and say snorting 100mg of Oxycodone while taking pulls from a bottle of Vodka or Injecting Heroin while under the influence of Benzodiazepines. The key is to keep everything reasonable.

You are right to be concerned about the combination, but as long as you keep your use in check and aren't getting overly sedated or "fucked up" then it's fine to have a reasonable amount of alcohol while taking Opioids for pain.

Thanks Keif' Richards! Also thank you for your PM previously.

I've taken 50 mg of tramadol and I'll only be drinking one or two vodkas. Actually also 2mg of diazepam but that's such an insignificant dose I'm not really concerned. I read something years ago about how benzodiazepines are potentiators of opiates so I hoped it would help the tramadol work better. I've no idea really though.