• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Taking the jump or not? - tram/oxy

Stilltrying

Greenlighter
Hi,

New to the forum but a very frequent reader.

As many other started out with prescription pills from chronic back pain, first of all Tramadol then moved on to oxycontin.
Ended up where prescription didn't cover the abuse anymore, especially the tramadol.
Daily use was about 600-800mg for a several years.
This mixed along with some oxy ~ 100mg at the time (nof mix at the same day).

Finally had enough. 800mg Tram didn't do shit anymore. And needed at least 500mg to fight the withdrawal or to keep close to normal.

Anyhow have now managed to quick taper(during a month, wasn't easy) down the tramadol with the help of Oxy, which I still have on prescription.
So managed to get rid of the serotonin shit that tramadol contains.

So now I'm left with the Oxy, IR. And have stopped tapering at 10mg a day, isn't much I know. But the step from that to zero seems HUGE!

I've tried to skip a day or so but when the cravings a restlessness in the body starts I cannot take it. Sounds crazy with just 10mg though I've read others kicking 100mg CT.

Want to get off opiates after all these years of abuse but on the other hand I still need them for pain relief. Have tried about 20x non opioid drugs that doesn't work. And these are the only one that does.

The 10mg Oxy, dived in two IR is enough to cover the cravings and pain relief per day.
But I'm not sure I can keep it at that level.

Can make up a hundred excuses for myself just to take one extra pill. "Just another one, I'll take one less tomorrow". Yeah right that worked out, never below 10mg.

Have had some major relapses during the taper and just recently. So the cravings are still there.

So question is it possible to keep it on a prescribed level despite the previous addiction? Or does it just make the cravings worse? Does it go away if you stay on a certain level for some time?

On the bright side my supply is "kind of" limited as I'm sticking to the prescription.
Can keep to the lowest bareable level and stock up, wouldn't that last long though and will send me down to the 10mg pretty fast.
Probably with some withdrawal.

Enough money spent on this shit. The prescription is covered by insurance.
So no more buying.

So frustrated, still need them at the same time I dont want them.

/stilltrying

Yes, particularly for those managing chronic pain related issues, moderating you use of opioid medication after long standing harmful patterns of use is possible. But what makes it possible is restructuring your lifestyle in ways that provide you with the kind of stability that being able to maintain on oxycodone at a low dose will require.

Have you ever thought about supplementing your opioid medication with non-opioid pain related medication like certain anti-depressants and stuff like gabapentin? I found Wellbutrin to be very helpful in maintain a low dose regiment for about a year or a year and a half toward the end of my time prescribed methadone.

What kind of stuff do you do in your life to take care of your more general mental and physical wellbeing? Therapist, physical therapy, yoga, meditation, healthy hobbies that involve exercise and the like? This kind of thing will be essential if you are to learn the necessary tools to help you manage your stress (which you had previously been relying on opioids primarily to manage).

For now, the ability to stick to a regular dose and maintain stable opioid use is a huge accomplishment. With the cravings that come in early recovery after changing long standing habits of substance use it can be really tough, but if you stick with it and work on improving yourself and your mental and bodily wellbeing outside of relying simply on stuff like opioids, the cravings will dissipate over time and go away.

Have you though about getting prescribed methadone? That is a MUCH easier medication for pain to maintain on than short acting opioids like oxycodone. It is also preferable for those who struggled with controlling their substance use but still need to take pain medication. Plus, much like tramadol, methadone over time ends up also functioning as a pretty good antidepressant, outside of its analgesic effects.

Yes, particularly for those managing chronic pain related issues, moderating you use of opioid medication after long standing harmful patterns of use is possible. But what makes it possible is restructuring your lifestyle in ways that provide you with the kind of stability that being able to maintain on oxycodone at a low dose will require.

Have you ever thought about supplementing your opioid medication with non-opioid pain related medication like certain anti-depressants and stuff like gabapentin? I found Wellbutrin to be very helpful in maintain a low dose regiment for about a year or a year and a half toward the end of my time prescribed methadone.

What kind of stuff do you do in your life to take care of your more general mental and physical wellbeing? Therapist, physical therapy, yoga, meditation, healthy hobbies that involve exercise and the like? This kind of thing will be essential if you are to learn the necessary tools to help you manage your stress (which you had previously been relying on opioids primarily to manage).

For now, the ability to stick to a regular dose and maintain stable opioid use is a huge accomplishment. With the cravings that come in early recovery after changing long standing habits of substance use it can be really tough, but if you stick with it and work on improving yourself and your mental and bodily wellbeing outside of relying simply on stuff like opioids, the cravings will dissipate over time and go away.

Have you though about getting prescribed methadone? That is a MUCH easier medication for pain to maintain on than short acting opioids like oxycodone. It is also preferable for those who struggled with controlling their substance use but still need to take pain medication. Plus, much like tramadol, methadone over time ends up also functioning as a pretty good antidepressant, outside of its analgesic effects.

Yes, have tried both Gabapentin and the more potent version Preglabin, at least according to my doctor.
Then a bunch of others I don't even remember the name ofor anymore.
Should have helped with the nerve pain in the legs/lower back as the spine is "misaligned" and the nerves is kind of squeezed.
Didn't do much and I was prescribed a very large dose before we gave up on that.
Made me feel almost drunk.

In total I'm on 5 different drugs right now.

Klorzoxazon - muscle relax.

Oxy - as mentioned.

Etoricoxib - some kind of longterm rheumatism med.

Paracetamol

Diazepam - for muscle cramps in the legs. Only when needed.

Not sure about the methadone there is its starts to mess with the serotonin again.
Still having problems from the tramadol.
Some kind of PAWS for the serotonin part in that drug. With the brain zaps and all that.
Used Thomas recipe the whole tapering and still are. My appetite isn't the best so need all nutrients I can get.
Spiced it up with 5htp as well. Don't know if it's placebo or not but feels like it works.

Might try to stick to my low dose even if it's very hard. Always feels like my body needs more. Maybe I've tapered the tramadol to quick.
And as you say it will disappear over time.

Ps.
Excuse my English grammar, not my native language. Still understandable understandable I hope.

/ST

No worries. You've got a great arsenal of meds to work with. Plus you clearly have a really good clear head on your shoulders about all this. I'm pretty confident you'll forge your own path and be just fine :) Best of luck!

Yes, if I'm only were that confident with that clear head.
Only thing I'm leaning against now is the limited supply.
Just the thought of that gives me the creeps.
Still sleeping problems etc. Thinking like an addict and so on.

Right now I'm so close to pop another oxy.
The willpower is that much stronger then.

The stock of meds I got only works as a "mixed up cocktail" with the Oxy as a key ingredient. From a pain relief pov.
Been really good for the quick taper though.
Except for the depression part.

But if I got from 800mg of tram in a month this shouldn't be a problem, right?
At least I'd like to think so.

I mean, you've come such a long way. Down from a huge dose of oxycodone and an equally huge dose of tramadol, are frankly in no time at all, it's clear you've been pushing yourself really hard. The challenges and discomforts you are experiencing is only to be expected. The thing is, if you need to go up a little bit on the oxycodone for a month or something while you stabilize further off the tramadol, there is nothing wrong with this. What counts is you keep making forward progress from where you started. Pushing yourself too hard with all this will only make it that much more difficult.

Are you working with a doctor to get your meds? Do you get your oxycodone prescribed? If so, what is the concern with running out. I still strongly suggest you look into getting onto methadone to treat your pain issues. It will solve all the problems you've been struggling with taking oxy and relieve a lot of the shitty symptoms you're having. Plus taking methadone is a lot more structured than oxycodone, and the medication comes with a lot more clinical support than oxycodone, which in your case is a really good thing in terms of providing you stability and keeping you on track.

Have you ever thought about an antidepressant? If for no other reason than to help you make it through the transition to a lower dose of oxycodone and get past the withdrawal from your prior tramadol habit.

Yes maybe you're right. Been pushing really hard with the tram's since I promised myself not to buy another one. I.e. my pills were counted and only lasted a month. Therefore the quick solution.
That tapering plan ended the 8th of January this year, since then it has only been oxy.

Everything stated above is prescribed and it has taken almost a year to work out that combo.
Trams were prescribed before the Oxy as a first opioid solution. Worked out long enough to get me hooked on them.

But abuse has never been brought up to doctors attention. Prescription were only used as a "bonus".

The Oxys are prescribed so that I can only take 10mg a day for a month. Then I get new ones, continuously.
My concern is that I exceed these 10mg a day leaving me in hell at the end of the month. At least I think I am. Been a rough way here and not sure I can take another hit.

And once there I'm not sure I can resist my own promise not to buy more. I mean we all know the brilliant idea of getting out of withdrawal-hell quickly.
And I'm back again.

I don't know feel like I just waffling around.
I will talk to my doctor about switching to methadone and see what he says.
Was on antidepressant before the tram's. Couldn't mix them due to serotonin syndrome.
But that was another case before the whole opiate solution came. Which helped both depression and pain.

Really hated them though, the antidepressant. Nasty sideeffects.
But might be better than this.

Thanks man!

Feelings of uncertainty in the weeks and months following a significant detox (tramadol) and taper (oxycodone) are very normal. The thing is, you clearly know what you have to do (and now I understand you situation with having to stick to your oxycodone dose for a month), so it's just a matter of putting one foot after the other for a few weeks.

It will get easier.

Have you thought about using other substance like cimetidine (Tagamet) and diphenhydramine (Benedryl). Cimetidine always worked really well for me to increase the effects of oxycodone, and diphenhydramine was very nice for increase the sedation of oxycodone. You don't want to take cimetidine for long term due to some "interesting" side effects, but using it for a month or two to potentiate your oxycodone wouldn't pose any problems for you. Definitely ideas worth considering.

Checked them out this morning.
Unfortunately none of them, Difenhydramin or Cimetidine, are sold here anymore.
Cannot find a substitute either. Don't know why. Will do some more digging Sounds quite odd to just give up a substance without replace it with something similar.
Can add that I'm not in ir from the US.

The only thing I've used is grapefruit juice. Hasn't worked as a boost but has prolonged the halflife a bit. Since the IR peaks quite fast the sickness comes quite fast as well.

Works quite good. Giving me at least 3h, on top, before the sickness kick in.
Been drinking it regularly since started the tapering.

Will as you say give it some time. Maybe my body finally settles on the "needed dose" for pain relief.
As it seems like it still need a higher doses.

Thanks, will follow that thread.

Can add that I f*cked up as well.

Shitty day on top of an already weak mind and body.
Solution easily found in some small capsules. I.e. a relapse.

Now facing a shortage for about 5 days, within a week! With nothing at all.

Hate this shit! Can't stand it.

Any tip?
Running out of Oxy and facing a CT within two days. Before prescription refill.

Could "one day off - one day on" be a solution? WD will be present but maybe nothe that severe since I take again the day after?

Just to make the best out of the few I got left?

The fear of a full blown WD scares the shit out of me.
I'm almost certain I cannot take it and will relapse.

Taking less each day for a couple days until you get your script again so you don't go into full blown withdrawal will be better than having nothing at all, but I'm not sure I'd be capable of doing that with stuff laying around.

Knowing that the WD will be worse than it is now, first day off, is enough to keep me from taking more. At least for now.

6 days to go with only 3 capsules. Hasn't been a day in almost 8 years that I've not been taking some kind of opioid, daily.

That must be a really tough mental wall to be up against, the knowledge that you haven't gone a day in so many years without some kind of opioid I mean. How are you doing?

Pretty good so far, mentally.
worst part is the muscle/ joint pain.
Nothing that I've got seems to have any affect on that. Every muscle is tense.

Took some Valium that seems to help the most, at least for the mental part.
Full Thomas recipe and almost a boiling hot shower.

All I'm thinking about now is the sleep. If I'm going to get any at all.
Kind if restless in the whole body, bearable as long as I'm not going you bed.

Ever tried Tiger Balm? I used to find it really, really helpful for RLS and whatnot. Great to apply it to sore muscles/legs/arms right after a nice hot shower or bath.

Actually not. Have some but never used it due to the very distinct smell.

But anything just to ease the restlessness just a little bit.

The RLS is ,in my opinion, one if the worst WD symptoms there is.
There isn't any real treat for it.

But thanks will give it a try.

If you still have any pregabapentin or gabapentin around in wds nothing worked better for me epescially with rls and pains, i had methocarbamol its a muscle relaxer i didnt like how i felt on it. lyrica was much better for me. Ahh them hot showers god i miss them i would stay in there for so long just letting the hot water hit the top of my head and run down i felt like i could feel every drop!. Little by little it turns back to feeling like a regular shower. you got this stilltrying good luck!

Worst day/night is over... Didn't thought I was going to make it. Only sleep I've got was under hot pouring water in the shower.
"On-day" today so I have had some pleasant rest during the day.
Hope tonight isn't going to be as worse as last night.
Unfortunately no lyrica or Gabapentin at hand.

Only five days left.... on-off-on-off....puhh.