View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Taking Salvia

dextrohex

Greenlighter
I know salvia isn’t discussed much here, but I want some input on taking it. I recently bought a bag of dried salvia leaves and planned on chewing the leaves after soaking them in water, but after the first attempt to do that I nearly vomited :\ (heard it was gross, but underestimated just how gross). Ended up feeling minor disassociation for about 30 mins.

Since I can’t bake them into brownies or anything, I was planning to try tea, but I’m worried about the taste. If not that, I’ll just smoke it, but I really don’t enjoy smoking anything. Suggestions?

Are these just the leaves or an extract? It can be more difficult to get an experience from plain leaves. You may have to smoke a lot, and quickly. If its an extract, you shouldnt need to take more than one hit off a bong or pipe. Its gross but its over quickly. Use a jet lighter and hold it in for 30 seconds.

I dont have any experience chewing or making tea from the leaves, sorry.

Also, in case you were not aware, salvia trips tend to be pretty unpleasant. Its generally more fun for the trip sitter than the user IMO.

Your right that Salvia isn't really discussed here. You will have better luck once a mod comes along and sends this thread over to PD (Psychedelic Drug Discussion).

There will be people over in PD better suited to helping you.

If the taste was problematic then I don't know if drinking it as a tea will help much? Unless the problem was because of the length of time you had to endure the taste.

My only non smoking experience with Salvia was with a premade tincture that I dosed sublingually. Again, though, if the taste bothers you this likely won't help. I didn't find the tincture to taste too unpleasant but it did cause painful burns in my mouth. My tincture contained a high proof alcohol and I didn't realize I needed to dilute it first. Worked very well and the trip was more drawn out and way less of a total shell shock than smoking salvia was for me.

I know you said you don't want to smoke anything but with a strong enough extract you only need to smoke a tiny bit to get a full experience. As far as the act of smoking things go it's not so bad really (the resulting catapult into the salvia trip from smoking is another story).

The PD gurus should be able to help. Good luck.

I have the dried leaves, not an extract, but I’ll consider just buying an extract and smoking it. Probably worth it if it only takes one hit or so to get it over with.

Also I’ve definitely heard a fair share of bad salvia stories, but I’ve also heard many good ones, and overall just curious. Guessing it’s not gonna be my drug of choice though, lol.

Salvia definitely isn't euphoric or done to make you feel good. I have had some profound experiences with it, very interesting drug. It can be terribly frightening(the dreamstate/visions which occur), really can't understate this, but also awe inspiring and motivating. It has really helped me get out of some very bad ruts or deal with something I was facing and didn't know how to handle, but be warned, if you got bad shit going on in your life its going to make the experience all that more frightening(which can be a good thing). And its over very quickly, not like riding out a bad trip. To smoke it, its best to get a butane torch lighter, and a bong(pipe works fine just have to adjust your technique a little more), with the torch lighter burn the fuck out of it, get it really hot, and take the biggest hit you possibly can, and then put the apparatus down, because you won't be able to take a 2nd and if you try you are going to drop your bong.

And its really best to have a sitter, some people just lay there, but some people try to get up and move around(even though they are totally in a different dimension at the time). If you do it alone best way to do it is in a parked car inside a garage with the seatbelt on, seat reclined, and the keys put away, or you can get away with doing it in your bedroom either sitting on the floor(then lay down as you exhale)/laying on the bed but put away anything you might knock over or hurt yourself with.

I know salvia isn’t discussed much here, but I want some input on taking it. I recently bought a bag of dried salvia leaves and planned on chewing the leaves after soaking them in water, but after the first attempt to do that I nearly vomited :\ (heard it was gross, but underestimated just how gross). Ended up feeling minor disassociation for about 30 mins.

Since I can’t bake them into brownies or anything, I was planning to try tea, but I’m worried about the taste. If not that, I’ll just smoke it, but I really don’t enjoy smoking anything. Suggestions?

Tincture?

If you don't like the taste, well, just to notify you that when you smoke it that taste is ancient.:D

... but give it five seconds and you won't taste a thing.

for plain leaf smoking, roll a fat joint and try to smoke it quickly.
Oral as tea is poor tasting but relaxing and good for a stomach ache.
I like low extracts (5x or 10x enhanced leaf) which I can smoke in a G Slim Ground Material
one or two tokes and the visuals can be quite compelling, but so can the strange body feelings.
I like that type of thing - over quickly but very interesting.

Pupnik, I heard that using a bong is best because the water cools down the really hot smoke from using a torch lighter, is it a bearable heat? And me too, I wanted to try it just because of the interesting effects but short term commitment. Easier than a full day/night trip :)

the whole fantasy of needing a torch lighter is insane,
then you loose quite a bit of ingredient into the cooling chamber.

I say go the easier way with that 20$ g slim for ground material - no waste - no high temps - no open flames - if you use 10x or 20x it will be the most intense effect ever

IF you are taking the leaves orally (as a quid) then you need to hold them in your mouth and it is very unpleasant with mild effects. To my best knowledge drinking it wont be very potent - it needs to be absorbed through the mouth, hence the holding of the quid.

Smoke it if you want to get a decent high but make no mistake this is not a fun drug. I have had some mind blowing experiences on it but have had some of the most frightening experiences I have ever had.

Make sure you have a nice comfy chair/sofa/bed to veg on and nothing that you can knock over or spill. I took a hit on my sofa one night and came round I was lying on the floor. I always get a sensation of being 'pulled' when on it - its a very strange substance.

Last edited:
I tried smoking it from a bong just to try, took about 4 hits held in for as long as I could stand and refilled the bowl twice, felt basically indistinguishable from the effects of chewing it, which were close to none. Mild dissociation, and slight CEVs (honestly couldn’t tell if they were my persisting ones or from the salvia).
I might try smoking an extract, overall the dried leaves (smoked) didn’t do much.

Edit: tried it again, I do notice a distinct disassociation feel and CEVs but it's definitely not the desired effect.

Last edited:
I tried smoking it from a bong just to try, took about 4 hits held in for as long as I could stand and refilled the bowl twice, felt basically indistinguishable from the effects of chewing it, which were close to none. Mild dissociation, and slight CEVs (honestly couldn’t tell if they were my persisting ones or from the salvia).
I might try smoking an extract, overall the dried leaves (smoked) didn’t do muchz

I've tried the plain leaves and found it difficult to break through with it. I am sure there are plenty of How-To's out there on making an extract with it.

Just a wee reminder that it can be a unpredictable drug. have a x40 extract and it is truly a mind-blowing experience - and that is not always so pleasant I 'died' once taking it, I could feel my spirit going and 'knew' I would no longer be where I was. It took quite a while to integrate it and I haven't taken it since. Take dare and safe travels.

You can extract the salvanorian using acetone then isopropyl or vice versa... I can't remember which order to do first. Then make blotters you use sublingually or smoking. I've never tried it, but it looked like the best method

Thank you both, I'll probably try that, haven't heard of it before 8o Sounds easy enough though.

dude i have done salvia a few times and didn't have a bad trip. once, it felt like i was watching myself from high in the sky on a ferris wheel. another time i felt like i was made like a robot and everything i saw was shiny chrome/silver. there are different stregnths... from like 10x to 200x, maybe more. i have only got up to 40x and that was plenty strong enough for me. it wasn't spiritual or enlightening. it was just fun for us.

Having tried most salvia methods, my favorite is to simmer the leaves lightly for a few minutes and then strain into a cup with a peppermint tea bag. Hold the hot/very warm liquid in your mouth for as long as you can, and then either spit it out or swallow it.

The peppermint smooths the taste out a bit.

Extracts aren't very good ime. Alcohol and Salvia do not mix well anyway, psychologically speaking.

Salvinorin A by itself is still bitter, I believe. It is still a potent terpene, and terpenes usually have tastes that are typically bitter.

I hope you accept the bitterness as part of the experience. The subjective experience of experiencing the bitter taste is a signal that initiates the brain/mind into the seriousness of the experience. Salvia is not just another drug. It will change your perception on a level deeper than you would ever expect. Let your body feel that profundity via the taste before it hits your mind, and you will have an experience in which the body is in sync/harmony with the mind. This is known as a positive (or at least productive/insightful) Salvia experience.

If you have an experience where the body doesn't know what hit it (like when people smoke 20x+ extracts), they end up losing control of their bodies and generally having a bad time.

The strong taste acts as an important gatekeeper for the experience and a harmonizer of the mind and body.

Best of luck.
~RS

Last edited:
Good morning.

I have 20x and 60x extract. I'm interested in taking it sublingually.
Can I put the extract directly under the tongue? How much should I weigh?

If there is another more effective method I want to know.

DocLad

I had a really strong extract and it was the first time doing salvia. My friend put on some metal music and packed a glass pipe we used for smoking weed with the salvia. He instructed me to take 2 big hits really fast, back to back. After the hits I immediately was tripping. The house turned into a giant roll of life savers and it fell on top on me pinning me to the couch. Then my friend was in his underwear packing his suitcase talking about the house is caving in and we gotta get out of it!

So I am conflicted with this substance and I don't really feel like trying it again. On top of the effects I experienced, I was also in withdrawal from heroin at the time so that added to all the negative effects.