• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Taking NSAIDS for prolonged periods of time

BK38

Bluelight Crew
I have a shoulder injury and am prescribed 100mg Ketoprofene twice a day, but also take 4-800mg ibuprofen a day. 2g paracetamol a day and I am taking 20mg rabeprazole per day as a stomach protectant. I am already scripted up to 40mg diazepam per day and it’s unlikely that they will give me codeine, which would ultimately be the best solution. I’m trying to think of ways to limit damage to my stomach lining. I do eat yoghurt or ice cream before taking the NSAIDs or a full meal.

I could be on these NSAIDs for months and am trying to eliminate stomach lining harm. I feel I get mild IBS already, but nothing serious.

Any suggestions are welcome,

Thx
BK38

The rabeprazole will help protect the stomach but does nothing to help beyond that point. You'll need zinc carnosine to protect the small intestine - 75mg twice a day for a month, then 75mg once a day (or 35mg x 2). You can then halve the rabeprazole dose or even drop it entirely (ideally) after about a month depending on how you feel.

As I'm in a non MJ state and my profession requires me to be MJ clean.. yeah these work well but I have developed chronic nausea due to NSAI daily use.. I recently switched back to cbd I just want two hits of indica after work.

Boy that's a tough question to answer or offer advice. Some people take nsaids their whole lives ( like my Grandma who was afraid of narcotic meds ). She had issues when she was a young girl that carried on into adulthood and then when she got elderly she had real bad arthritis. She took Bayer aspirin of all things and lived to be 89 with a rock hard stomach. No issues at all. But the there's the poor guy that gets an ulcer or GERD or just ruins his stomach lining so it's so hard to say .

CFC had some good suggestions. Yeah, codeine would be ideal. So many poo poo it but it is very effective, has low risks to rewards and is the ideal med for some. But yeah, ask for it and they look at you like you were asking them to shoot you up with Demerol.

My mom has been taking ibuprofen for about 20 years and so far so good. I guess some have strong stomachs and some don't. When we are in pain we take what we can get and take our chances. It does suck that many can't be treated adequately though when it comes to prescribed medicine. Some of the narcotics are actually safer than the nsaid's if used properly.

The rabeprazole will help protect the stomach but does nothing to help beyond that point. You'll need zinc carnosine to protect the small intestine - 75mg twice a day for a month, then 75mg once a day (or 35mg x 2). You can then halve the rabeprazole dose or even drop it entirely (ideally) after about a month depending on how you feel.
I have Zinc bisglycinate, will that work? Thank you for the thoughtful response

man nsaids (aleve, meloxiam etc in my case) is no longer a part of controlling pain for me. Done with it.
Babels/reactions give ya the option we vary. Like my wife can take melocam and be OK. Me... my stomach hurts for two days. I dont take it. I like coffee and lots theses days and cannot mix those anyway coffee wins. :)
Sorry back to the matter:
They can possibly destroy ones gi tract.
i think i got the answer but cannot post it...? lol
need my headphones afk

• Heart
Reactions: CFC
I have Zinc bisglycinate, will that work? Thank you for the thoughtful response

It's just the zinc l-carnosine version with all the great research behind it I'm afraid - other versions can't get the zinc where it needs to go. It's fortunately not too expensive though and you can buy it online in most countries except Japan and SK (where it's prescription only).

It's just the zinc l-carnosine version with all the great research behind it I'm afraid - other versions can't get the zinc where it needs to go. It's fortunately not too expensive though and you can buy it online in most countries except Japan and SK (where it's prescription only).
TIL, ty very much

It happens... Make sure you order your kratom in bulk from a good online source. It's definitely the cost friendly way to go. Also you might want to look into ordering bulk delta 8 distillate. It can be very cheap, with a high benefit to cost ratio.
I’m currently smoking a bit of Cbd, have muscle relaxants and diazepam. Not looking to taper just yet as advised by doc as I have C-PTSD and possibly undiagnosed EFD and/or ADHD in addition to the Nerve damaged left shoulder that chronically dislocated. Seeing a psychiatrist in 5 days, try and get to optimum care if I
explain the dangers of long term NSAID use.

I’m currently smoking a bit of Cbd, have muscle relaxants and diazepam. Not looking to taper just yet as advised by doc as I have C-PTSD and possibly undiagnosed EFD and/or ADHD in addition to the Nerve damaged left shoulder that chronically dislocated. Seeing a psychiatrist in 5 days, try and get to optimum care if I
explain the dangers of long term NSAID use.
Good luck man!! Here's wishing you the best brother. I'm telling you. If you research and find the right supplier you can get 30g's of 95%+ delta 8 disty on the cheap. Then you can make edibles, your own carts or dab till your hearts content.

Good luck man!! Here's wishing you the best brother. I'm telling you. If you research and find the right supplier you can get 30g's of 95%+ delta 8 disty on the cheap. Then you can make edibles, your own carts or dab till your hearts content.
I work as a freelance writer for a Dutch rc company, I catch your drift, all great ideas once the $ starts rolling in again.

When my back was really bad and I was still doing a physical job I would take the max Ibuprofen in the morning before work (800), which is only OK three times a day.
After the 6 hours I would take 400-600 Ibuprofen and a Tramadol. The Tramadol is a stimulant to me for the first few hours and that would carry me through work.
By the time my shift was over, the Tramadol was segueing into it's narcotic effect. (Gosh, I love Tramadol. Way more legs than Hydro. Wish it was still easy to get.)
After supper I would ease into the actual Hydro. Usually just one dose.

So yeah. As stated above, many varied weapons in that arsenal can somewhat mitigate the bad effects of any one thing.
My back doctor actually recommended this approach.

Stomach protective gels containing aluminium are used...or inhibitors of proton pump to decrease ur stomach acidity....ketoprofen snd those in that group(ibuprofen..etc.)are bad for stomach in long term...paracetamol don't irritate stomach so much,but is no good for the liver over certain dose....also,if u pop diazepam it could be unwise to use these stomach aids,'cause they interfere with diazepam metabolism...must check with doc.,which is best strategy.sucess man!

Stomach protective gels containing aluminium are used...or inhibitors of proton pump to decrease ur stomach acidity....ketoprofen snd those in that group(ibuprofen..etc.)are bad for stomach in long term...paracetamol don't irritate stomach so much,but is no good for the liver over certain dose....also,if u pop diazepam it could be unwise to use these stomach aids,'cause they interfere with diazepam metabolism...must check with doc.,which is best strategy.sucess man!
Exactly what I have just done rn

I had an incident after being prescribed celebrex for six months, my stomach turned to fire and I could barely sip water for days, the agony was messed up, I think an ulcer ripped or something, after a large amount of vodka to be sure, but still I would never have expected that, it was the celebrex, an NSAID, after I told them I couldn't take ibuprofen, he thought I'd be fine on it, nope.

Then I went a few years without official pain relief (I have a legitimate condition meriting pain relief) until someone gave me some nefopam.

It worked better than tramadol and had no side effects for me other than my pee changed colour, that's ok.
I asked the doctor if I could get it prescribed, admitting I'd had it already and she's been giving me hundreds ever since.
It's not opiate or benzo, there is no associated addiction risk and I wish I'd discovered nefopam before getting myself dependant on other things, but that's not the point.

Point is you can ask for it, if your guts can't take the NSAIDs especially, It is used for moderate pain and for post operative pain, doctors seem quite keen on it after I tell them it exists. It has no marketing company or is missing from the medical text books, dunno why it's not used more.

You could take proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole to prevent damage to your stomach lining (source : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3891010/ ) but its not without additional risks either.
NSAID's are also pretty bad for your heart when using them long term so ideally you should reduce the dose too.

I had to take ibuprofen and naproxen for months at a time and eventually developed an intolerance to both where the mucous membranes in my mouth and throat would get ulcerations so be careful with taking that stuff long term.