View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tactile,olfactory & taste hallucinations

B9

Bluelight Crew
We frequently discuss the visual aspects of psychedelics & to a lesser degree the audio hallucinations but the other sense hallucinations seem largely overlooked.

Why do people think this is ?

I have my own "just dreamt it up now" reason ;)

Who gets them ?

I do - I actually get them when not tripping as well - quite intensely sometimes - particularly olfactory ones.

Discuss or ignore - as you please :)

I find that if im tripping out doors and its hot that I will often feel that i pissed myself (and I know this is a common one bc several friends have expressed this whilst tripping). I think it has to do with it being all hot and sticky and wet out.

As far as smells go... they're enhanced a bit I find, like walk past a "nuts for nuts" and you like must put one in your mouth.

Sometimes while tripping I get a metallicy taste in the back of my throat... anyone else?

I get the metallicy taste too karma... i dont really notice any olfactory or taste hallucinations, unless i guess if u count synesthesia as far as taste goes (tasting a color or smell or something). But my skin usually feels wet when im tripping, mostly my hands and places that i normally would sweat, except they arent actually sweating

That metallic taste is ( for me) simply a side effect of good LSD - it's pretty commonly reported anyway.

No I get completely random smells - food alcohol - oil of wintergreen - woodsmoke & this can be overpoweringly intense on ocassions.

My favorite tactile distortion with tryptamines (particularly LSD) is the feeling you get when you go swimming while or close to peaking. Most definitely a novel sensation.

Anyone care to hazard a speculation on why we attatch greater importance to the visual & audio ones ?

Or do other people not get them to any great degree ?

We frequently discuss the visual aspects of psychedelics & to a lesser degree the audio hallucinations but the other sense hallucinations seem largely overlooked.

Why do people think this is ?
I would guess that this might be to do with our typical reliance on visual information, and to a lesser extent auditory information, to apprehend the world, which is partly because of the precision of these senses (vision, spatially; audition, temporally), and partly because their effective use in rapid perception of stuff at a distance. Thus, we tend to notice visual and auditory things more anyway, and so we notice distortions of them more readily too.

If one gave a two-month-old infant (who has much less precise vision) a psychedelic, perhaps they would report (if they had speech ;)) more tactile psychedelia.

Then again, maybe it's to do with the relative expression of different serotonin receptor subtypes in different sensory cortices, and how the various available psychedelic chemicals interact with them.

Who gets them ?
I've experienced intense gustatory enhancement and psychedelia while on 2C-C, comparable to the mosaicization/digitization of visual space, when eating a chocolate. The taste was much brighter than it should have been, and appeared to be coming at me in a series of tiny quanta. I've had similar, though not so intense, overwhelmings of taste with 2C-B.

I've certainly had somatosensory psychedelia on psilocybe mushrooms, and to varying degrees on other psychedelics, often becoming all limbs and face.

Thermoreceptive psychedelia I think I've experienced on both mushrooms and 2C-C, although it's hard to know, without a thermometer to hand, whether that was psychedelia or real temperature changes.

I've also had a sort of proprioceptive psychedelia (not distortion, per se, but enhancement) on 2C-B, during an experience of mystical alignment.

Vibroceptive and motor psychedelia could arguably describe some of my more vibrational experiences (on 2C-C, most notably, but also on DiPT and 2C-E), but then those could equally maybe be explained as mere stimulation, so I can't be too sure.

I would guess that this might be to do with our typical reliance on visual information, and to a lesser extent auditory information, to apprehend the world, which is partly because of the precision of these senses (vision, spatially; audition, temporally), and partly because their effective use in rapid perception of stuff at a distance. Thus, we tend to notice visual and auditory things more anyway, and so we notice distortions of them more readily too.

That's my take on it as well to be honest - although you worded much better than i could have done.

I kind of believe that the other senses are somehow more archaic/primal than sound & vision are - & are thus less involved in abstracts. I perceive sound & vision to be more recent additions to our senses - speculation is my middle name & I have no proof however I do think that.

Last edited:
Not quite a tactile hallucination. more one of propioception, but the first time I had LSD I distinctly remember the sensation that my arms were 10 foot long. It was weird as it didn't dissapate even when I looked at them (equivalent of an optical illusion I suppose)

Anyone care to hazard a speculation on why we attatch greater importance to the visual & audio ones ?

Because they comprise 95 percent of the sensory information that reaches the concious level. Next question! =D

Last edited:
I get the copper/metallic taste in the back of my mouth too, typically on acid. I seem to recall someone telling me that this is one of a number of sensory hallucinations commonly experienced by people having simple partial seizures. Can anyone confirm this?

I can't find the article now, but I remember reading about some guy in NY that was throwing parties and feeding his guests a rare nut. After chewing the nut, it was said to produce a kind of psychedelic effect that only affected taste. They would then eat other normal foods, which would taste totally different. Anyone know anything about this? I always found it interesting!

tribalDJ - I really would like to see that article, and even more so try it! I googled around to no avail.

Story time!

I was tripping on 15mg of 2c-e with two friends. My hair is long and "poofy" making me look like a mushroom head. The two other friends were looking at my hair saying things like "its alive!" and "watch it crawl around whoa". Well my logic stepped aside and I totally ignored that they were tripping balls, instead I freaked out and had a vivid tactile hallucination of small insects swarming my head with feet that may or may not have been made out of electricity. It was fucking terrifying for about 7 seconds. Now I get that feeling everytime I'm 2c-e but its not unpleasant anymore, just a strange intense staticy feeling, like those blocks of pins that you put your hand against to make an impression on the other side just much lighter.

I have also eaten pizza on 2c-e that literally brought tears to my eyes from its deliciousness, not a hallucination, but people like that story lmao.

Omg I want to have a "flavor tripping" party! Shits expensive as fuck, time to search for someone who doesn't have a 500% markup.

lol @

"are you drinking vinegar?"

"uh...yeah!"

tribalDJ - Are you talking about the miracle berry? If so, its change in taste is not involved in the brain at all. Proteins in the berry bind to the taste receptors on the tongue itself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/dining/28flavor.html

Still the fact that bitter things taste sweet is weird enough in itself. Tonic water tastes sweet! Lemons taste like mangoes. Even totally sober that would just be so strange...

Last friday I assayed 2C-E for the first time, at 15 mg. It wasn't all that intense but still very interesting, my friend and I both noticed an increase in olfactory awareness at one point, although this is hardly a hallucination (its just not). In other trips when I approached sensory overload I sometimes smell like plastic is burnt, like I could smell my nerves frying...

Tactile hallucinations have also been noted, most of all on N,N-DMT when I experienced a dimension overlay inhabited by shapes of people so crowded they were like flowing over my skin becoming apparent as parasthesia. It was impossible to ignore and felt like I was fully sensing their presence, convincingly so.

That's the thing! The article I read was a few years ago so I got berries mixed with nuts, my bad! It sounds awesome tho, or even more awesome to try that while tripping on some acid :D

Great thread. I myself have gotten into thinking about this. With me trying out DiPT (sound) and having done some visual things, I have to wonder what else is out there.

I have to say, in most cases I've had the complete opposite. DXM KILLS the sense of taste for you. And your mouth's numbness results in feeling like you are eating a piece of drywall. Which is promptly spat out.

LSA gave me the munchies and I did seem to find food more enjoyable.