• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

tackling the big issues.... should we make euthanasia legal in australia??

I think everyone should be made to stay alive for as long as they can in as much pain and with as much suffering as they can endure.

Originally posted by Adikkal
as we start legitimising killing based on when life is no longer worth living it theoretically will erode our respect for life and we will start justifying killing in more circumstances......
Adikkal [/B]

I agree with this point also. My father actually is specifically not a organ donor because he feels that if there was a scenario where himself and another patient was in a critical condition - he feels that the doctor may decide that the donor should die as opposed to the non-donor. Although i feel that if you are in such a situation there probably is little point to continue living as life would tend to be more or less like a vegetable.

But as Adikkal says if there is legislation that allows the legal killing of people then there will possible be room for abuse. The scenarios and the likelyhoods are extremes, but its a matter of degree. Currently we are talking about the end of a persons life, an end to a life which is inevitable and would cease pain and suffering. A step into the future 100- 200 years may see the possiblity of a life being terminated or possible considered less worthwhile because of a medical condition that is terminal in its sense. Euthanasia is possibly the first step into authoritive bodies sanctioned death, for right or wrong. Hopefully society will not come to a point where human life is so worthless although I dont see it as an impossibility.

Last edited:
^^ Hmm, very good points papermate.

I also think it should be allowed, but you'd need a decent watertight (well as tight as it can be in this situation) methodology on the steps to take with various outside independant sources having input into the decision in order to minimise the chances of abuse. I imagine that drafting the methodology and legislation would be a nightmare in itself!

I'm very pro-euthanasia...we had to pull life support off both my mum and my uncle, and while it was very heart-wrenching to do, I wouldn't have it any other way and I'm 100% confident that they wouldn't have either.

I do understand that letting someone die isn't the same as killing somebody, but I think the reasoning behind it is the same. I think everybody should have the right to decide their own quality of life, and when they think they've endured enough.

I knew a guy who was fairly healthy, but had been diagnosed with HIV...he had a dinner party with his closest loved ones, then OD'd later on that night. Everyone invited knew why they were there, some people who'd been invited didn't turn up because they disagreed with what he was doing. But everyone respected his right to make that choice, because he wasn't prepared to live his life with that level of quality.

Losing people is hard, but we have to respect their right to go...

Last edited:
papermate said:
Euthanasia is possibly the first step into authoritive bodies sanctioned death, for right or wrong.

^^^
Isn't there some authoritive body in this country
sanctioning some wartypedeath business
in some sandy country somewhere?

^^^
Cool.
UnSquare grabs his gat 'n' runs off to join the Navy
:)

heh.

fuck euthanasia; i think suicide should be legal (so yes, that means i also advocate euthanasia too). seriously, i'm really only reiterating the same point that everyone else has been making - why shouldn't people have the final say (and total control) over their own lives?

personally, as with the hm approach to drug use, i think education or information is the key. if someone is fully informed and within a reasonable state to make such a judgement, i think that it should be totally up to them to decide such a thing.

I’ve been trying to reply to this thread all week but it’s hard to put my thoughts on it into words. Whilst I believe in Euthanasia I also believe there’s a very fine line between giving up and a lost cause.

I’m really torn on this because I don’t believe in suicide but I believe that in the case of a terminally ill patient who will not be able to recover and will live the rest of life in pain, dementia or other loss of quality or life it should be permitted.

I spoke to my family about this the other day – there was a program on the television where a family was keeping their child who was only still alive because of life support. I would hope that in that situation my family would pull the plug rather than have me live life as a husk of a person who has machines doing all bodily functions.

So I believe in Euthanasia but I don’t believe in suicide and I know there’s a very fine line between the two. I guess the worst thing is that that fine line is drawn individually based on our own morals and ethics.

if i feel that its time to go, well so be it. everyone should be given their right to make the call.

I think that if a person has a teminal and short life expectancy related illness, they have every right to have the choice on whether or not they wish to endure life any further. It is an issue of their personal pain and suffering, if their loved ones do not understand that then, that is a sad thing. If a person has made the decision to die through Euthanasia, I think that is a huge decision that they have had to weigh up and assess, both the positive and negative repercussions. Every person has the right to say what they want to do with their life and if it's justified, in the sense that they can pass away and be at peace, or live a life of pain and suffering, I believe that's no one's decision (doctor, or otherwise), but the person that is the one who's suffering.

Isn't it a doctor's responsibility to help in the assistance of healing people? It's just another form of healing. One that in some circumstances, is necessary. They are not killing a person, they are helping them (with the persons permission) stop the pain, physically, mentally, emotionally and it's a very important position to have.

okay, this is the last one of these type of threads.... well, that is, unless people want me to keep them up...

now, this is a very delicate topic... so please remember that everyone is allowed to have an opinion.. so please respect their answers and try not to flame anyone.. life is a precious gift, and we only receive it once... if flames start getting too personal etc, i'll just delete the whole thread :)

anyway, onto topic...

euthanasia, is it a right that we can choose, is it an easy way out or is it murder??

now, i'm one of these people who have always said that if i get too old, sick or decrepid, i would prefer to end it all with dignity, rather than in pain, or not know what is going on...

which leads me to a point, if someone is not legally sane, should they be allowed to take the euthanasia path? afterall, someone may be diagnosed with having a brain illness, but who is really to say if they can make rational decisions or not? especially over such a serious issue..

and lets not forget about the people left behind... even though you may be comforted by the fact that your loved one was able to pass away in peace, there is still the sadness that they have gone... would you still want your family member there, if you had the choice??

its an issue that has been on the rise over the past decade in australia, its happening, but not legally...

so yeah, what are your thoughts on this issue?? and remember, play nice.. :)

muzby

just like to say firstly that i've enjoyed *most* of this "series" of threads you've started - except the women getting paid more than men one which i think was incorrectly worded :p:)

but.

re: euthanasia...

this is one of those arguments where i almost just not want to have an opinion because in so many ways it is so much a "how could i possibly know the pain and suffering until i have been there"...even from a friend/family members point of view - it's not the same - and it is afterall, YOUR life.

I think maybe instead of being pushed under the carpet, the euthanasia debate could perhaps be explored more thoroughly as an option, and perhaps if it was to be made legal, perhaps have extensive counselling requirements as a necessary precaution, and to make sure all affected parties views are aired, and hopefully to eliminate hasty decisions. :\

like all things that are unable to be reversed, there will always be a lot of opposition - for obvious reasons, but i think in this case, where it is the person who will die that is in the ultimate control, that perhaps it warrants a more thorough look.

as for the mentally sane situation, i don't feel that they should be allowed to make that decision. they are not allowed to be responsible for their own criminal actions, and in many way this is a similar type action.

well i`m in favour for it, but its all a matter of situation, like if some old person who is hooked up to a heap of machines and to be blunt wasting time and money, they should be able to end it, i think the tricky choice is with the disabled where the question of quality of life comes into it.

if a i saw a family member of mine wanting to do it i`d let them i`d rather have them dead then be living in pain

muzby, please don't delete the whole thread if people start being assholes...I think this is an excellent topic for discussion here, and I'd rather delete individual posts rather than see the whole discussion gone.

I am definitely for euthanasia. My mum made it very clear to us (me and my siblings) when we were growing up what her stance on the topic was. She never wanted to survive without quality of life, and when it came down to it my brother, my sister and I were in complete agreement to turn her life support off because we knew that's what she'd have wanted.

I know that quality of life is a very important thing for me personally. I would never want to live bedridden for the rest of my life with machines doing all the work for me. Furthermore, I believe that it's each person's choice to decide whether their life is something they want to continue. Sure, it's sad for those who are left behind, who have to learn to live without the person they've been so used to having around...but ultimately you need to live the life that you're happy with. And if you're not happy living a diminished life, I think you should have the opportunity to end that life when there's no feasible way you can improve its quality.

By the same token though, there are people for whom survival is more important than quality of life, and they should also be entitled to that choice...some religions see suicide as a mortal sin.

Basically, it should be each person's individual choice. I don't think anyone has the right to judge someone who chooses to die rather than live a diminished life. I also don't think anyone has the right to judge someone who would rather live than die, no matter what quality of living they have.

Ultimately, the only freedom anyone really possesses is the freedom to choose their own life or death. That's not something that anyone should be able to take away.

anyway, to answer the question.

like muzby said, everyone's entitled to their opinion. still, anybody who thinks that euthanasia shouldn't be allowed just happens to have an opinion which is wrong.