Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Syringe vending machines - Melbourne

UnitingCare have hit back at the Herald-Scum
14.gif

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/croakey/...alarmist-reporting-of-public-health-programs/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Herald Sun newspaper castigated over alarmist reporting of public health programs
MELISSA SWEET | FEB 06, 2014 6:14PM | EMAIL | PRINT

Back off. Your reporting is a menace to public health.

That is the general thrust of the message to the Herald Sun newspaper from UnitingCare ReGen CEO Laurence Alvis, following alarmist coverage of Victorian Government plans to introduce needle and syringe vending machines in Melbourne.

In the article below, Alvis calls on the Herald Sun to drop its apparent crusade against evidence-based drug policy, and to start showing some respect for people directly affected by dependent drug use and the services who work with them.

Calling an end to misinformation, hysteria and vilification

Laurence Alvis writes:

For two days now, through inflammatory and inaccurate reporting on Victorian Government plans to introduce needle and syringe vending machines in several locations across Melbourne, the Herald Sun has made a concerted effort to misrepresent the risks associated with injecting drug use, prioritise opinion over established research evidence, and rubbish harm reduction interventions that have consistently been demonstrated to bring substantial benefits to individuals and the wider community.

Misinforming the public and undermining the work of those committed to improving public health should not be the work of a major newspaper. Vilification is not an effective base for the discussion of important community issues.

This needs to stop.

As has already been pointed out by other leading alcohol and other drug organisations in response to the Herald Sun coverage, needle and syringe vending machines have already been operating (without significant controversy) in Australia since 1992.

This is not some radical policy experiment, but a well-established, evidence-based, pragmatic response to the reality of public injecting outside of regular business hours. We commend Minister Wooldridge for sticking to the evidence in supporting this initiative.

In spite of established evidence that the operation of needle and syringe vending machines does not significantly increase the incidence of public injecting, incorrect disposal of injecting equipment, or related overdoses in surrounding areas, these issues are typically cited by opponents.

The concept of the ‘honeypot effect’ has been systematically discredited by over ten years’ research on the impact of Sydney’s Medically Supervised Injecting Centre, yet is one that has ready appeal for those wishing to promote fear within a community.

While it is important to understand the risks associated with incorrect disposal of injecting equipment, it is also important keep them in perspective and stick to the evidence.

It is natural for people to fear the possible consequences of needlestick injuries (particularly given media coverage such as that described above) the actual risks to people’s health are relatively low.

Any needlestick injury should be taken seriously and receive medical treatment, but should not be a cause for panic. As with any puncture wound there is a low level risk of tetanus, but the greatest risk is developing a bacterial infection at the site of the wound.

A fact often overlooked is that, to date, there has not been a single recorded case in Australia of blood-borne virus transmission following a needlestick injury in a public place. This is in spite of the fact that over 30 million needles and syringes are distributed each year to members of the public through Australia’s Needle and Syringe Programs.

We need a rational debate on issues related to public injecting.

This is an issue that affects communities, not only individuals. It is requires serious discussion of the impacts (and possible solutions) for all community members, not the demonisation of individuals or groups through deliberately inflammatory rhetoric.

The stigmatisation of people who inject drugs in our community only drives this behaviour further underground, increasing the likelihood of inappropriately discarded injecting equipment as people seek to evade detection.

There are many risks associated with public injecting, including for the people directly involved. Needle and syringe vending machines are one of many possible interventions as part of a comprehensive response.

It is interesting to note that, amidst all the hysteria of the recent coverage, there has been no mention of the one policy option that has been consistently demonstrated to address the concerns of community members, people who inject drugs and the services who work with them. A Medically Supervised Injecting Centre (MSIC) would have a significant impact on the incidence of public injecting in Yarra.

Although the Victorian Government does not support the introduction of a MSIC in Melbourne, it is a further policy option that could be reconsidered as part of the Government’s ongoing work to improve the delivery and effectiveness of alcohol and other drug treatment services in Victoria.

We also recommend that the Herald Sun take a more responsible approach to its presentation of issues relating to the impacts of alcohol and other drug use on individuals, families and the wider Victorian community.

ReGen’s position statement (and supporting evidence) on the Melbourne MSIC proposal are available on the agency’s website.

• UnitingCare ReGen is the lead alcohol and other drugs treatment and education agency of UnitingCare Victoria & Tasmania. We have been promoting health and reducing alcohol and other drug related harm since 1970. We support social justice and sustainable change at an individual, community and systemic level.

A question for any other IV users - would you be at all worried about police presence around said vending machines, i.e. the likelihood of machine users perhaps being harassed, searched etc in the hope they hve some gear on them?

A typically disgusting article by the Hun as well, made my blood boil. "Drug addicts are selfish. They only care about themselves." Fucking disgusting blanket statements like this don't even warrant a response...

I think, at least where I live, police are not allowed to "stalk" the currenty places where needles are dispensed. I would imagine a lot of these vending machines would be in the same place anyway, I may be wrong about this, but I have heard it from multiple sources. Of course, if they wanted to just bust every user, they would simply wait for people to approach a shooting gallery and bust them. Has that ever happened?

There is at least one of these vending machines in Tasmania, at the rear of a pharmacy in the carpark. If you didn't know it was there, you wouldn't know it was there, it is just a non descript white box with a sticker, some coin slots and a sharps waste bin next to it.
I have never seen any discards anywhere near it.
The salvos needle exchange shuts at 3 oclock in the arvo, week days (where, incidently you can get boxes of 100 for free. I have never seen the gutters littered with useds outside there either.
So taking this as a relatively small sample case, I fail to see that there would be an increase in Melbourne

Are the vending machines already in place?

I told someone about this the other day, he said that he knew and they were already in some places. Is this true, or did my mate get his facts mixed up?

^25c is American. It would be AusTaxed $25 each here.

Good idea though.

I was going to post that Crikey blog linked on previous page - really an excellent reply to the Hun garbage.

Victoria is actually the only state in Australia that DOESN'T have syringe dispensing machines. NSW has had them since 1992.

There has been a de facto dispensing machine operating from Werribee Mercy Hospital for some time (a year or so I think) - you go up to a shutter on the wall, press a button, the shutter opens and you can grab a five pack.

As far as discarded needles and syringes - most people do the right thing. The fixed site needles syringe program in North Richmond Community Health hands out in the order of half a million fits a year - that's about 10,000 per week. I can guarantee you won't find any where near that number on the streets. Even if you found a hundred that would be 1%

I dont have enough fingers to count the amount of times these would of been to great benefit for me...

I rarely IV now so they wouldnt be much use anymore.. by the way, I agree with the fact a very small minority of IV users litter their shit compared to the majority.. everyone Ive ever shot up with have been quite 'clean-minded' with disposing of their waste properly, infact, strongly for it...

anyone that leaves any sort of IV paraphernalia in public is a down right cunt