Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Syringe vending machines - Melbourne

Mel22

Bluelight Crew
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/taking-a-jab-in-the-dark/story-fni0ffsx-1226818030159

SYRINGE vending machines on the streets of Melbourne are a shortsighted and misguided approach that defy law and order and make an existing public health risk worse.

It comes as no surprise that the often confused councillors of Yarra City Council are partners in this flawed project. The vending machines are to be placed in heroin hot spots in Richmond, Abbotsford, Footscray, Sunshine and Braybrook.

The gutters in these suburbs are already littered with syringes dumped by drug users and syringe vending machines will only add to the problem.

Drug addicts are selfish. They care only about themselves. They will go to the nearest dark place to shoot up and throw away the syringe provided by the Yarra Drug and Health Forum.

Blood-contaminated syringes are a public health issue. While the clean syringe program is designed to prevent the spread of diseases such as HIV and hepatitis C, the risk to anyone who might pick up these discarded needles would seem to have been overlooked.

Yarra Drug and Health says the vending machines will be available in any area where there is “a market for injecting drug use’’. Footscray, Sunshine and Braybrook are also being looked at as sites for the vending machines, which will dispense syringes for a “small fee or token’’.

But there is no certainty they will dispose of the syringe they have just used in the receptacle provided. Often they are tossed over people’s fences.

Yarra Drug and Health, and its Yarra council partners, might think they are at the forefront of a public health issue, but they are contributing to it. The vending machines also send the message that injecting illegal drugs is somehow acceptable. Enabling illegal drug use, as the syringe vending machines are likely to do, will only make the drug scourge worse.

There is a law-and-order issue here that has a higher priority than making the means of shooting up as simple as going to an ATM. The police need to arrest the dealers who provide the drugs and the users who not only travel to these areas to buy drugs but then blatantly shoot up in the streets.

Some residents in Richmond and Abbotsford have put locks on their front gates to stop addicts injecting in their driveways and front gardens.

The Yarra Drug and Health Forum admits the syringe vending machines are likely to be “controversial’’. It is right about that but wrong about placing the benefits to drug users above public safety.

The drug forum’s motivation is “an urgency to save lives’’, it says in a submission to the Whole of Government Alcohol and Drugs Safety Strategy. “People who inject drugs,’’ it says loftily, “should not receive a lesser level of health and medical services and access to lifesaving programs than those who do not use drugs.’’

But facilitating drug use may well draw more drug users to heroin hot spots without reducing the risk to the community. Anyone taking a walk along Victoria St can see used syringes tossed carelessly into the gutters.

Users openly inject themselves in supermarket carparks, often tossing the syringe out of their car window before going on the nod behind the wheel.

The users and dealers are part of a thriving and illegal industry that needs to be rigorously policed, not promoted by offering services to assist their lethal littering.
-------------------------------

Lol. Nice article that one.

More: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/n...al-proposed-for-melbourne-20140105-30bwn.html

Needle vending machines could be rolled out for the first time in Victoria this year as part of trial to reduce infection rates among drug users.

Yarra Drug and Health Forum has been investigating a trial as an addition to existing needle exchange programs across Melbourne. The machines are unmarked and contain one-use sterile equipment and disposal bins. Syringes are either provided free or for a small fee such as $2.

Yarra Drug and Health Forum chief executive Greg Denham said restrictive opening hours of programs left a dangerous gap in which users could not access clean equipment.

Most needle exchange programs in Melbourne operate weekdays and between business hours.
Advertisement

''It's a logical next step to make sure we make clean syringes available when they're needed, such as weekends,'' he said.

Mr Denham acknowledged the introduction could be controversial, but added that Victoria was trailing other states, including New South Wales, which introduced the machines in 1992.

''We're always concerned about perception,'' he said. ''Drug use is quite tainted by myths that [a vending machine] will increase drug use.''

But the evidence showed vending machines did not create a problem, he said. ''It addresses one,'' Mr Denham said.

Department of Health spokesman Bram Alexander confirmed that there was no legal or policy barrier to prevent the machines being introduced.

''Agencies who may wish to provide this service in addition to existing needle and syringe programs can explore these possibilities,'' he said.

Up to four machines could be used and areas with a known drug problem, including north Richmond, St Kilda, Footscray and Braybrook, will be the first to have a trial of the machines.

Drug Free Australia has criticised the move, saying the unsupervised machines could advertise illicit drug use to children.

''If it's placed anywhere near schools, it's an invitation to experiment,'' executive officer Jo Baxter said.

She added that needle programs need to be handled ''professionally'' and with the aim of helping users into recovery programs, not just facilitating their habit.

The machines have already been introduced to other parts of Australia, including NSW, Queensland and South Australia.

A review of the 2005-06 ACT trial revealed the existence of the machines did not reduce the number of instances of users attending needle and syringe programs, where education and referrals to support services are provided.

Mr Denham said preventing blood-borne diseases such as HIV and hepatitis C was paramount to users and public safety.

The Department of Health reported in 2009 injecting drugs was a risk factor in 79 per cent of newly acquired hepatitis C infections.

Independent health organisation Anex supports the trial in Victoria and has previously advocated the economic and health benefits of increasing access to clean syringes.

Last edited:
Although I'm not super educated on this topic, I think these vending machines are only making IV drug use seem a lot more publicly acceptable and may encourage users who usually would not, use this more effective (and generally more addictive) ROA.

I'm from an area where there is not much of a problem with IV drug use, and definatly no used syringes left lying on the streets, but I wonder if that would still be the case if the youth and regular drug users could easily and anonymously get access to these machines.
Will the machines encourage more street IV drug use? Sure clean fits will sure stop spreading infections among users (and I'm 100% all for that!), but it wont stop a small child or un-educated/un-aware person from picking them up or accidentally stepping on them in the street, with unknown consequences.
Or will it actually stop people from using used needles, when they badly want fix and the machines are "all the way across town?" Seems stupid to me, maybe put the money that these machines would cost, into more appropriate opening hours, easier accessibility, and more staff at supervised needle exchanges?

This country and the way it tackles drug issues and laws is pathetic, just look at what they've done already!
It's just as easy (sometimes much easier!!) now to obtain a big dirty bag of rock than it is to find a relatively harmless couch-locking bag of weed!
And how many people do you see nowadays staying up for days scattering themselves up because hard stims and other injectables are ALOT easier to find and better quality than a good few old MDMA pills- which yeh sure will have you up partying all night and are far from a vitamin c tablet, but also much less fiendish, less addictive and a lot less likely for people to heavily binge on/get addicted to.
AND now they're gonna give us cheap/free needles that will be easier to get than that ugly fat chick that's drunk at the pub... Smart government..

I liked this bit -
"People who inject drugs,’’ it says loftily, “should not receive a lesser level of health and medical services and access to lifesaving programs than those who do not use drugs"
- yes of coarse they shouldn't receive any lesser medical treatment, and access to program's especially, but don't you think that they're sending a mixed message. It's kinda like "IV drug infections and using in general in AUS is a big problem, so we will help them out and make needles easier to get in they're hands!"
Stupidity, how about trying to steer people away from IV use!!

Maybe if we all get lucky, they'll put a bong, snorter pipe and sweet puff button on the machines and we can all live happily ever after!! haha

Thats my rant anyway. And Like I have said, I'm quite uneducated on this but very interested to hear opinions from people who are.

It's just as easy (sometimes much easier!!) now to obtain a big dirty bag of rock than it is to find a relatively harmless couch-locking bag of weed!

You speaking from experience there?

People have been saying shit like that since forever. It's all relative to where you are, and what you're looking for/at.

I'm from an area where there is not much of a problem with IV drug use, and definatly no used syringes left lying on the streets

And -

I'm not super educated on this topic

Like I have said, I'm quite uneducated on this

You sure have a lot to say about an issue that you say you don't know much about. Do you write for the Herald Sun by any chance?

Very true point Halif, I can only give views from my area nd that's the way it seems round here, well at least amongst my mates anyway.
I'm definatly not speaking for anyone/anywhere else.
Na don't write for herald sun, I've just never heard of these vending machines. The article caught my attention and got caught up in a rant. Hope I didn't offend

Hehe, you're alright

Nothing wrong with giving one's opinion as long as you can stick around to hear the other side of the story. Good for you for not just hating on me.

The vending machine thing is always gonna be controversial - whether it's for needles or condoms or whatever else. You can argue it both ways, chicken n egg style til the cows come home with the bacon.. alright, enough with the fucking loopy metaphors and idioms and shit. Sorry.

I happen to have grown up in a place, at a time, where heroin use was rampant and very much visible. I mean literally people shooting up on the street right by my house. I wasn't using anything at the time (I'm talking about when I was a little kid here), and I just saw shit; needles on the ground, people being arrested, cars being stripped by police looking for something in front of my house, methadone clinics next to the news agent's where I bought my tram tickets to go to school. That fucking news agency got held up so many times that the old dude running the place got sick of it and one day he threw the fucking cash register at the guy - like "you want the money you cunt, here!" and just threw it at his head. Those things were heavy and you can imagine what happened. Hahaha!

It was funny because we saw that place with yellow police tape around it so many times and just thought 'poor guy and his wife'. THey'd been there for years and had seen so much shit it was unbelievable. I'm talking about West Preston in the 1980s, for what it's worth.

When my mother handbag got stolen she called the police and they said (on the phone): "Well, that'll teach you to live in Preston". That's it. No shit. I remember all this and it's stupid but back then I was in primary school and didn't know anything else.

Nobody offered to sell me drugs outright. No dealers going to be that stupid - at least not what I've seen. I got a million offers back in the day that I didn't even know were offers until later it occured to me - 'why did that guy just sit down and ask if I wanted a cigarette and then start talking about this and that and whatever the fuck'?

There's irony for you - I got harassed by people asking for money or drugs or trying to actually sell me drugs about a million times, but when I wanted to find a dealer and was desperate.... the street's were clear and sparkling.

Anyway, I ramble enough on here so I'm going to wrap it up, but I really do think it (the issue of vending machines) comes down to the time and place. Some places have a problem and adding a machine might help a bit. There's no point going into an area which has no drug issues and installing machines. It's just common sense in that regard, but it's never black or white either.

Thanks for the even-handed reply.

If the Herald-Sun had have had their way all those years ago when needle exchanges were first introduced we too could have the soaring levels of HIV and Hepatitis C infections currently enjoyed in societies (America, Thailand etc) that didn't embrace harm-minimisation policies when the IV drug problem first started exploding.

Cool I'm glad you understand I had no bad intentions with my post. And thank you for the reply, some of the things you said really made my eyes pop open! Can not believe the police said that to you mother! That's unbeleivable!!

It's not like they will have them at Flinders Street Station next to the coke machines, they should be put outside existing needle exchanges, i don't see the big deal, why should someone be able to get a clean needle from a needle exchange at 3pm and not 3am

I can see the concern from the local traders and parents, no one wants junkies nodding on the streets. Not exactly in any communities best interest. If they want to appease everyone they should set up a shooting gallery and crack down on antisocial behaviour on the streets. A proper place to distribute and dispose of clean needles, a place to shoot up and professional medical help out of the public eye is surely more productive than a coin operated machine on the street. Having a grey area where drug use on the street is if not tolerated, at least some what ignored makes it difficult for police and healthcare professionals to manage.

As someone who has been forced to reuse needles (my own) on weekends or after hours, obviously I'm in favour of this initiative. I won't even bother citing all of the statistics that prove this will not increase drug use, crime, litter or anything. This will only help those who inject drugs from being a burden on the public health system and therefore the taxpayer. It's really a money saving initiative. Rather than say anything that will be criticized and mocked because I am an intravenous user of drugs, I'll just let those who are against it, ie: all conservative voters, show their ignorance.

A question for any other IV users - would you be at all worried about police presence around said vending machines, i.e. the likelihood of machine users perhaps being harassed, searched etc in the hope they hve some gear on them?

A typically disgusting article by the Hun as well, made my blood boil. "Drug addicts are selfish. They only care about themselves." Fucking disgusting blanket statements like this don't even warrant a response...

Realistically, I think vending machines will serve a pretty specific target market - existing IV drug users. I just don't see vending machines being the tipping point for someone who has never considering banging drugs before. It's not like needles are hard to find. The machines will just fill in a gap of time when there are no other sources of clean tools available. I think the amount of use would stay fairly stable too - because the people these will serve aren't going to decide to put their shot off til the next morning just because the exchange is closed. They're going to do it then whether the vending machine is there or not. But having access to clean needles reduces the harms that would otherwise come from sharing or reusing.

I think discarded, used needles are a problem. It's a good idea that they get the disposal receptacle too - I assume the small container to snap the used needles off? Regardless, better disposal options could be investigated, though in the areas described most toilets have sharps disposal units.

I'm sure I've heard of syringe vending machines elsewhere in Aus - and if I remember correctly it was quite well hidden - something you had to know was there to find. I think these could easily be placed in a way that is inconspicious to those that don't have a use for them.

I can see the concern from the local traders and parents, no one wants junkies nodding on the streets. Not exactly in any communities best interest. If they want to appease everyone they should set up a shooting gallery and crack down on antisocial behaviour on the streets. A proper place to distribute and dispose of clean needles, a place to shoot up and professional medical help out of the public eye is surely more productive than a coin operated machine on the street. Having a grey area where drug use on the street is if not tolerated, at least some what ignored makes it difficult for police and healthcare professionals to manage.

I agree. No one wants to see people shoot up or use drugs on the streets in plain sight. No one wants to see drunks running around obnoxiously either, I don't see the Herald Sun having a cry about liquor stores being open 24/7 for the alcoholics to get drunk off and walk around in an anti-social manner. Having a grey area where drug use is tolerated is at least a start for the path leading to legalization in the next few centuries. It should be hard for the police to manage, as it always is anyway, because this is not a policing issue. It is not a law enforcement problem. It is a healthcare problem. Law enforcement is meant to protect people from other people doing them harm. Not and I quote the article "rigorously police" this drug problem/. Funny shit. Like prohibition has been anything but rigorous, fucking idiota. When will these faggots realize that policing is not going to work?

That first article is total garbage, it is such a shame that every time a positive step forward is taken on drug related issues there are elements of the media that have to try and twist it into a negative thing.

This will not increase drug use, crime or encourage people to IV their gear, it merely gives 24/7 access to syringes because a number of IV users will reuse needles if they cannot access clean syringes at certain times. I really don't understand how anybody sees that as a bad thing.

You don't have to spend much time in the areas they are talking about to know that IV drug use is already pretty blatant, I just don't see those who currently show restraint with when and where they use heroin seeing these vending machines as the green light to start shooting dope all over the place. The truth is there are those who don't give a fuck about everyone else and there are those who do and act accordingly.

Last edited:
I'm new to Melbourne and I am a former IV meth user.
I think this idea has both good and bad idea. It's good in the sense that it can minimise the risk of infections as needles are easily available for those that use them but in the same sense
It's a bad idea because it will lead to more used needles being discarded in gardens, parks, gutters etc.
not to mention they still have to be paid for. In Brisbane there is a free needle exchange in which the give you fit packs that vary in size (7, 20, 100). I think an exchange would be a better set up as you get proper disposal units and its free.
I work in Richmond and I see every day junkies on the nod out the front of shops and the street is littered with syringes and needle points its fuckin disgusting, smith st is the same and st Kilda beach. More disposal units placed out would be a good idea or the introduction to shooting galleries. The government needs to look at the bigger picture.

^Good post, Oldred. Actually, all the AUSDD mods have come out and made really solid points as usual.

It's the simple things like having receptacles to dispose of sharps alongside - or nearby - that could make a difference. Then again, like people have pointed out, some people give a shit and some don't. In the same way that some will throw any piece of rubbish on the ground (cigarette butts for instance) while others will go to the trouble of finding a proper place to put it.

When I smoked cigarettes, I used to stub out the butts and put them in a tissue or other wrapped up piece of paper and then into an outside pocket of my bag for later disposal if there wasn't a proper bin around to throw it in. Sure, it stank like shite, but that's the point - I didn't want to add another little piece of shit to the ground to stink the place up.

End of the day, vending machines are the tip of the ice-berg and as said above, the Gov needs to look at the bigger picture - something nobody ever seems to get even close to doing.

How exactly do people think the existence of these vending machines is going to INCREASE the amount of discarded needles? These are drug hotspots with a high degree of people using there anyway. Like drug_mentor said, there are those who will be careless and there will be those who will be responsible. All these machines do is make clean works available for people all through the night. Doesn't it make sense that someone would score their gear, then whack it as soon as possible, in the nearest convenient location? Then either put their fit in their pocket and dispose of it safely later, or throw it away. If they're the kind of person that throws it away, they're going to do that regardless of where they are, right?

I just don't see the connection guys. If I am missing something please enlighten me!

A cigarette filter is just Cellulose, it degrades relatively quickly.
Carrying around cigarette butts is pooyuck.

Whilst I agree that this does nothing for the bigger picture, people need access to clean needles in any IV picture.
Why would you disparage positive progression for not being perfect? It's clearly superior to present situation.

As far as needle exchanging goes, the vending machine could have a barcode reader and the needles could have barcodes on them, requiring you to return your used needle in order to get a new one, for example.

I don't think that's a good idea either. The fact that you're going to go get needles means you probably don't have any... So if you need to have used needles in order to get fresh ones... it just doesn't seem logical.

I always put my syringes in the proper bins. I always will. Others probably don't care, but if there were more places to discard of them safely, I don't see why people wouldn't use them.