• NMI Moderators: Snafu in the Void

Synthetic Organic Chemist

technically what makes a compound or chem difficult to store? i'm total layman but curious
Lots of things. However they make a MSDS for all chemicals in the CAS which handily details safe storage containers and safety procedures.

A reason why pure Et2O is more expensive is that it is difficult to store. You will find its not only alot cheaper but safer with an added "stabilizer"
There are situations where a very pure solvent is absolutely necessary. But for alot of general solvent applications, a pentane/Et2O or Ethanol (2%) in Et2O will get the job done without a massive reduction in yields or other problems. A 3% yield reduction is A HUGE deal for a chemical company producing hundreds of thousands or millions of lbs or even tons of certain chemicals annually. 3% of 100 grams is a little, 3% of 100,000kg is alot and all of that bites into the profit margin. It's much more worth it to hire the best chemical engineer and pay him 300k a year and get a 2% yield increase than it is to pay 100k a year and deal with yield losses and reaction damages.

Peroxides are the reason for example I suggested Teflon coating. Teflon reduces friction, friction creates heat and what makes things go boom? Well one of the things.

If you want to experiment with the reactivity of peroxide, buy some 3% hydrogen peroxide, put a cc or 2 in a spoon and heat it with a small torch or lighter. Do it outside. It won't go boom but I do suggest safety glasses.
That will help you understand why more pure hydrogen peroxide has been utilized as an oxidant in rocket fuels.

Thanks. it's a bit over my head but its appreciated. You're obviously in love with your vocation :cool: