• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Switching from Etizolam to Xanax

PocketLady

Bluelighter
Trying to get some info for a family member. He takes quite a high dose of Etizolam for sleep and health reasons (chronic pain made worse by muscle tension) but it's getting harder and harder to source it. He wants to switch to Xanax, and understands he probably needs to take around half the equivalent dose of Xanax, but isn't sure whether he should make the switch gradually, or whether it's safe to just switch in one go. I'm not 100% sure, but last I heard he was taking around 11mg total Etizolam per day, 8mg in the evening, and 3mg before bed for sleep. The problem is also that the stuff he has been getting seems to vary in potency, so it's hard to know exactly the dosage and how much Xanax he should take instead. Does anyone have any experience or idea about how it might be best for him to make the switch?

Thanks in advance :)

Are you getting the xanax from a pharmacy or elsewhere? If you're in the US pretty much all of the "xanax" on the street or dark net isn't actually xanax but contains various RC benzos.

Anyways, it's about 0.5mg : 1mg xanax/etizolam

you can make this switch immediately there shouldn't be any sort of withdrawal at all

Perhaps find a good doctor or your family doc? Tell them a tame version of ur situation ….and you’re trying to stop Etizolam, but you used because it helps with your medical issues

It’s possible you can get a legit script for a long lasting Diazepine (Valium) 5mg in morning and before bed

Very possible to get if you state your case properly and doc is willing or knows/likes you

Thanks for the info :) We are actually based in the UK and the docs are a lot stricter here. He's already tried to get medical help and explained the situation. Basically, when he almost ran out before, they were that adverse to prescribing him something they gave him the most ridiculous taper schedule which pretty much would have meant him ending up in hospital in a medically induced coma...So yes, DN is the only option unfortunately, though I think he sends things off to a lab to get them tested before taking anything.

Took both and although my preference would be Etizolam.

Alprazolam is a bit stronger and a bit different, more in your face. Also the duration seems a bit longer.

Thanks for the info :) We are actually based in the UK and the docs are a lot stricter here. He's already tried to get medical help and explained the situation. Basically, when he almost ran out before, they were that adverse to prescribing him something they gave him the most ridiculous taper schedule which pretty much would have meant him ending up in hospital in a medically induced coma...So yes, DN is the only option unfortunately, though I think he sends things off to a lab to get them tested before taking anything.

Alprazolam is not a good choice to switch to. Not long acting enough and is too potent on mg basis. To get off of benzos you want a less potent benzo than the one you are taking, not a more potent one. And keep in mind much of the "xanax" sold on the DN is not alprazolam but instead things like clonazolam.

Either way, even if he were to source real alprazolam, he'd only be digging a deeper hole. Plus alprazolam has a far nastier rebound than etizolam. I'd rather go through etizolam withdrawal than alprazolam withdrawal (which is terror personified).

If he really wants to do this tell him to order diclazepam. Long-acting and far better for tapering. You'll need to do some research on this figure but I believe diclazepam is something like 1:1 ratio in terms of etizolam potency. Not ideal since it is quite potent but it is far longer acting than alprazolam. Might even be able to source legitimate diazepam via the DN since it is rarely faked due to low demand for diazepam.

I second Diclazepam for a gradual taper….VERY long lasting and can dose at 0.5mg in morning and 0.5mg after dinner, or start at 1mg and gradually reduce daily/weekly

Metabolizes into Delorazepam and then into Lorazepam

In retrospect it looks like i misread the original post.

She never indicated that the person was trying to get off of benzos nor even mentioned the word "taper". I guess I just assumed in there that said person was acquiring alprazolam in order to taper off of etizolam. The reality is I just didn't read it carefully enough.

In this case I would say that alprazolam is indeed the closest benzo to etizolam. It is longer acting, overall stronger and perhaps a bit more hypnotic. It is more delusion inducing, and more disinhibiting. I personally prefer it to etizolam but the withdrawal is quite a bit worse. And it is sloppier. Etizolam is more functional than alprazolam.

The problem is you will have a difficult time getting a legitimate supply of actual alprazolam. So much so that you shouldn't even plan on alprazolam as an option. There really is not much like etizolam as far as RC benzos. Perhaps pyrazolam or deschloroetizolam? This might be an indicator that it is time for said person to develop an exit strategy. No good end comes of high doses of benzodiazepines. At least not for a younger person (or really, anyone not of an advanced age).

Thank you all for the info. It's much appreciated. From what some people have said here and on another forum, Xanax might not be the best option for him, so I'm going to create another threat about that. Thanks again.