View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

SWIM hasn't recovered from his trip and everyone is worried

Ahs789

Greenlighter
I have a question about SWIM who is experiencing extreme feelings of tranquility. Found out he was depressed uncertain whether he mixed at the time. don't know how much SWIM dropped, but know he took shrooms and lsd. The problem is that he can't seem to sleep and it feels like he's triping all the time now . He says whenever he tries to sleep he feels like he's dying and gets nightmares. He's been running on 2-3hrs for the past 5nights. Was wondering what steps we should do to help him. SWIM took half a Xanax but it only helped him sleep for 3 hrs. Any insights would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

Swims parent's were probably drunk as hell through the whole pregnancy if they decided to name their boy Swim.

What mg was your xanax? You're getting sleep so thats good, just make sure you're getting plenty of water and nutrients.

"uncertain whether he mixed at the time"

Is there any way to elaborate? I am having trouble understanding.

You probably had an overwhelming experience, I remember my first time taking four grams of mushrooms and thinking i'd never leave my trip, two days after I honestly felt like I was a new person, thought i'd reached a different plateau of happiness than others, stopped smoking weed (which was an odd thing for me to do as the 18 year old I was). I woke up one morning and just completely went back to my regular life.

how long ago was your trip?

I'll formulate a better reply soon, but just FYI we don't use SWIM here, as it's annoying to read and doesn't provide any actual protection.

Apologies, as for elaboration and update; mix as in I don't know what else he took besides mushrooms and lsd. He took. 25mg of Xanax to help with sleep. It has been 7 days since the trip and he's experiencing bipolar episodes as well as continued nightmares so he's probably lacking sleep still. We're making the decision to take him to a psychiatrist but would like outside opinions on what else we could do to help or if we're just worried for no reason.

Don't worry about it, that was rude of PoisonDurban given the situation. 'swim' is almost always used with the best intentions until someone points out why not to use it and then people cease.

It sounds like he could really use an anti-psychotic... I would be sort of surprised if a psychiatrist doesn't put him on seroquel risperidone or olanzapine or something right away... seems preferable and a good strategy to stop his induced / triggered psychotic sounding symptoms and also knock him out so that he can get some rest and even from just that chill out some more when awake... preferable to, say, him getting committed and put on haldol for becoming a danger to himself or others.

.25 mg of xanax is a pretty low dose especially for that state of mind, starting low isn't bad at all but stopping low might not be giving it a real shot. Again: would still go slow with it since the sedation might be confusing (not super likely), you might also prepare for him rejecting taking the meds because of delusions of being poisoned. Then again he must have appreciated getting a little sleep... May very well appreciate more in the meanwhile and it does suggest he tolerates it well, as in most cases probably.

Bipolar episodes? I am not sure that's really it, he might just alternate between being panicked because of the psychotic symptoms and too tired to be panicked? Though also I guess delusions can be conductive to mania and the big swings are like the ones possible during a trip.

Other than that... anything to ground him might help, if you're a parent and not the person in question you might try to arrange something that is comfortable and safe and brings back good and old memories. Maybe not go down memory lane all the way as that might be tricky, but you ought to know some simple things that have always been pacifying since he was little? Just something to help bring back feelings of things being alright and uncomplicated to step out of the ideations.
He probably wants to be alone like in his room, as a reflex to have a controllable environment... but just like it can be horrifying to try and go to sleep when you're having a bad trip (since you will basically just go deeper within yourself), so may staying in his room be a little too conductive to him going deep within himself. If you can, try to make that much less deep by offering items or an environment that aren't threatening or imposing, but well anchored in the reality that extends far beyond him and his room.

Before you go overboard with anything, check stuff I said against your personal situation... what is a smart move of course depends on your relationship with him, in part. Since that will determine whether he is likely to be threatened or imposed upon by you or feels loved and supported in the first place.

Good luck, I suggest that I move this to The Dark Side forum where you may find proper support during such difficult times, or alternatively Mental Health if you prefer which may focus more on the psychology and psychiatry I guess. This is not really primarily about psychedelic drugs even if they were the trigger.

Last edited:
Many thanks scolipsis for the informative post. After examining his situation we decided to take him to the doctors they suggest we take him to the er cuz he mentioned hearing voices and seeing things. They say it could be skitzo or bipolar but this just happened now and bipolar and skitzo have signs and doesnt happen in a week. They just took him into a psych ward. They want to stabilze him and give him a sedative to knock him out and put him asleep. Then after some rest they want to see how he is like. I'm just here to better understand the situation and to prevent such from happening again. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thank you again for taking the time t post.