TDS Survived Methadone Detox

HeScoresHeShoots

Bluelighter
I feel I should preface by saying that I am not "clean" in the sense that I abstain from all manner of substance, I enjoy weed and booze regularly though not daily. This is not a guide or even good advice, just my personal experience.
So I was on MMTP for just over 3 years and had a lot of success maintaining that lifestyle of using prescription methadone and nothing else (35 months then weed and booze.) I came to a crossroads though where I had to choose between living on the street (not drug related surprisingly) while continuing MMTP or going to live with family where regular access to the clinic was nonexistent.. it being winter made my decision a lot easier. I had been on 130mgs and given how fast things happened I didn't have time to taper unless I wanted to freeze to death. The only preparations I could make was to beg up enough money for a few grams of weed then I was on a bus to my new home.
I can't overstate how bad I felt over the course of the first two weeks. The anxiety, nausea(which made even the thought of sipping water gaggable), diarrhea and cramps were as though someone took the first 3 days of H withdrawal and drew it out over 2 weeks. I was very lucky to have family to support me. I did go to a urgent care to try and get something for the symptoms but I didn't have insurance and they told me to get on a program basically. The weed, while it went a long way towards helping the nausea, really gave me little relief. I slept 2 hours at a time when I could string that much together but as the 2 weeks drew onto 3 I noticed my symptoms easing off. I was able to drink water almost without issue and I only shit 7 times a day. By a month I had begun to wear only one fleece inside instead of 3 and I could eat normally.
It's now been almost 2 months and I am pretty much recovered. I take some pride in saying that I didn't and haven't used a needle or hard drug in almost 4 years now and have no intention of going back. Life is funny, ain't it?

Life is funny, ain't it?

Gotta laugh at it really ain't ya? Absurd bloody thing it is, the whole life thing. ;)

I never went on methadone, H kicks over a week were enough for me, I can only imagine how bad it must have been so good for you coming through it. Great to read a success story once in a while, we get too few of them. Thanks for posting. Wish you the very best of luck going forward from here on in. :)

First of all, congrats!
I was actually just about to post a thread asking whether or not weed might help with methadone withdrawals.
I was lucky enough to get to do a full taper, but I am still finding it pretty tough. It isn't nearly as bad as any of the other times I've gone through withdrawals, but it still sucks.
I can only get about 5 hours of sleep a night, my heart is pounding so hard in my chest it hurts to breathe, and I'm so fatigued that I can't even handle standing up for very long.

I was hoping weed might help me sleep or maybe slow my heart rate. The only thing that puts me to sleep it seems is benadryl, and I think it is making my withdrawals worse the following day. I have low dose prescriptions of clonodine and xanax but I am trying to use them as little as possible so I don't just end up depending on those drugs instead of the old ones.

You say weed didn't really help you but did it make you any worse? Like in terms of anxiety or restlessness?

Congrats bro. I went through withdrawal cold turkey from methadone after 2-3 years of MMT and I was on 90 and tapered to 75, the withdrawal was nuts. I've detoxed from heroin, oxy, opana and a range of other opiates, and NEVER have I had anything last as fucking long as methadone withdrawal. That being said, i'm glad to hear you're doing good, I haven't stuck a needle in my arm since I started MMT, even after quitting cold turkey and getting addicted to amphetamine. I just snort it, even when I think about IVing, my mind kind of jumps off the topic. Maybe MMT does work, the stopping is what really, really sucks. Good luck and glad to hear this.

What's keeping you from sleep, general insomnia, aches, etc? http://www.ehow.com/about_5037570_arnica-cream.html Worked wonders for me, rub it on the achey parts and it will give you 30-90 minutes of relief. Also benadryl or nyquil helped my sleeping, it gets better, I promise. I'm 4-5 months cleans off it and it took 1-2 months before the sleep became more than sleep for a couple hours and then the slightest sound waking me up. Good luck and pm me if you need anything!

Life is funny; sometimes in the piss-your-pants kinda way, and at other times, laughing because you're so overwhelmed that nervous laughter is the only viable outlet =D

so happy for you, though. And they say, "Once you're on MMT, you're hooked for life"... You, my friend, have beat two odds in one fell swoop. My hat goes off to you!

Weed did provide a measure of relief. I'd be lying to say otherwise but my family was my saving grace. Initially the weed did spike my anxiety but half an hour after my stomach felt better and my nerves followed suit. If you find it helps you I would say go for it but my best advice is don't go it alone. PM me if you have any questions or need some support and don't give up.

Thanks to everyone who commented and offered congratulations, it's one thing to hear it from family and friends who are genuine but don't get what it really is like, it's another hearing it from people who have a good idea what it is. If my story or experience can help it'd mean a great deal more so don't hesitate to send questions or recommend others to PM me if you think I could help. In all stages of my addiction this site has been a wonderful asset, I'd love to return the favor... and don't forget to laugh.

Hey HeScoresHeShoots!

After reading this I am extremely proud of you. Jumping of methadone at a dose like that can be terrifying and a miserable experience. I am really happy you persevered and managed to push through the 2 months of struggle. I just wanted to say congratulations, and wish you luck in the next chapter of your life.

Also I will add this... You have given me hope for coming off of Bupe, I have always procrastinated it and although I have been tapering and am at 1mg a day I won't lie and say dealing with the withdrawal again isn't scary. So thank you.

Thanks to everyone who commented and offered congratulations, it's one thing to hear it from family and friends who are genuine but don't get what it really is like, it's another hearing it from people who have a good idea what it is.

:D
Don't be a stranger, HeScoresHeShoots. You've got a lot to share, and there are many ears that would be grateful to be graced by what you've gone through.

Beyond all else, give yourself credit where credit is due. Keep the positivity undulating below your immediate consciousness by learning to love yourself.

Its caveat? That is an on-going process. But, like life, it is really much more about the journey itself - rather than the destination.

Safe travels <3

~ Vaya

I take some pride in saying that I didn't and haven't used a needle or hard drug in almost 4 years now and have no intention of going back. Life is funny, ain't it?
Feels amazing dosn't it!! Longest couple weeks of my life, really had a hard time believing it was ever going to end when i was in the middle of it.

It's now been almost 2 months and I am pretty much recovered
You have more good things to come, those extra opiat receptors you turned on dont shut down for a while, a bunch of mine finnaly shut down in between mont 4.5 to 5, it felt like my mind cleared from a heavy fog that i was not even aware that i was in as it had been so long since i was clean, amazing difference REALLY. aparently this process goes on for a while but a pain clinic DR said that it should continue to clear in leaps and bounds untill about seven and a half months. I may stay away from grass as it could hamper this process, it sounds like you are only getting lit once and a while and it would be a shame if this didn't happen because of something as small as that.

And they say, "Once you're on MMT, you're hooked for life"...

Yet again THEY don't know what THEY are talking about:( Im clean since august and came off of four years of methadone (150mg/d), roxies (260mg/d), and xanax (6 mg/d). If you want to you can get clean off anything;)

Last edited: