Survey on Salvia / Spice

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
I found this at another forum. Some of you may be interested in participating!

Dr Harry Sumnall (LJMU, UK), Dr Jon Cole (University of Liverpool, UK), and Dr Fiona Measham (University of Lancaster, UK) have launched an exploratory study investigating Spice use. Please note that this study is only currently open to over 18s.

Despite Spice being legally controlled in several countries and discussions on legal status taking place elsewhere, there have been few investigations of its use. This research aims to find out about how people are using Spice and to make a brief assessment of the types of effects they report. Survey results will be shared with health professionals, members of the public, policy makers, and other scientists at conferences and in scientific journals.

We have no agenda to pursue with this research, we're just interested in collecting and reporting accurate and objective information, and to help develop health and harm reduction advice.

If you have used Spice at least once in the past then please consider taking part.

It should take, at most, 30 minutes to complete the survey, which should be done in one sitting.

Please go to Salvia Divinorum to begin

Data is submitted to a secure server. The introductory page fully explains the study aims and also offers advice and points to consider about the use of the internet to collect potentially sensitive data.

For further information please email h.sumnall[at]ljmu[dot]ac[dot]uk . You can see my current research profile at Staff details

Thanks for reading

from: http://www.partyvibe.com/forums/drugs/37841-new-online-survey-spice-use.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of silly, it forced me to answer the questions that said "UK residents only!"

Hm. I'm not really a fan of completing forced-choice questionnaires but then again, as a data analyst, missing data really sucks ;)

- seems they should have made that question dependent on country of residence question at the beginning. don't worry, they will be able to filter out responses from people outside UK easily enough.

i have taken spice, but there were no actual questions about it other than "have you used it" seemed a bit of a waste me filling in the rest as i only ever bought one bag of salvia, thought it was crap and never bothered with it again, but i filled it in anyway

Why survey the use of a virtually defunct designer smoke blend rather than it's active ingredient (JWH-018)?

The potential of JWH-018 needs to be researched; any and all studies done regarding the drug are a step in the right direction. The choice to survey users about "Spice" mystifies me though.

^^^because more of the general public would recognize 'Spice' rather than the name of its active constituent. That said, the question could have been phrased better to include both.

This study was published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology [link]

Here is the abstract:
Salvia divinorum is a hallucinogenic plant with ethnopharmacological and recreational uses. It differs from classic serotonergic hallucinogens such as LSD and psilocin in both phenomenology and potent agonist activity of the active component salvinorin A at κ-opioid receptors. Awareness of S. divinorum has grown recently, with both an increase in its public representation and concern over its potential harmful effects. This discussion is particularly relevant as S. divinorum is legal to use in many countries and regions and easily available through online retailers. Drawing upon previous investigations of S. divinorum and other hallucinogens, this study surveyed 154 recent users and questioned them on their use behaviours, consequences of use and other attitudinal measures. Although reporting an extensive substance use history, and considering the limitations of online surveys, there was little evidence of dysfunctional S. divinorum use, and few reports of troubling adverse consequences of use. Furthermore, there was no evidence that users exhibited increased schizotypy. Respondents reported that S. divinorum produced mixed hallucinogenic and dissociative effects, which lends support to assertions that it phenomenologically differs from other hallucinogens with primary serotonergic activity. The functions of use changed with greater experiences with the drug, and although many respondents reported use of S. divinorum as an alternative to illegal drugs it, was apparent that legal proscription would be unlikely to dissuade them from use. These results are discussed with reference to psychopharmacologically informed public health responses to substance use.

PM me if you would like the whole text pdf.