• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

super important

The other thing is that if you are in the situation where you have to drive home tired (like from a doof out in the bush for example) make sure everyone else in the car helps out driving and keeping the driver awake. This helps enourmasly. What better reason to sleep when you turn the music down to let the person next to you sleep! It makes sense to stop revive survive but while you are driving you must keep focused on driving, not sleeping. Another thing that helps is acually talking about driving and things you see on the road. Keeping focus is the key.
A community service announcement brought to you by Vido.
PS: I do agree that nothing makes up for a decent sleep but if worst comes to worst and you HAVE to drive then please heed the advice above. Having your whole car tired when you get home is better than not getting home at all.

De Quincy I wish you and your family long life.
I'm sorry I always come and write at threads late.. just call me slack but I had to add.
Secondly, doing many a trip from Melbourne to Adelaide (quick 8 hour drive down the freeway) I have found the best way to stay awake is a 30 minute nap the second you even feel tired, it revives you.. its better to get there late then never at all.
Don't try and over stimulate your body you'll just pay the price later, powernaps sound absolutley rediculous but trust me, they work. The number of times I've had 2 pull over from a long journey or even a short one (see Lunarave 2000, VERY VERY tired) even the shortest of naps helps you.. hey VicRoads know their stuff.
Once again, De Quincy I admire you as a person for making such a profound and open statement about yourself and your family for the benefit of others, sometimes we all have to learn the extremeley hard way.

De Quincey,
My sincerest condolences cannot bring your father back, nor can I promise that things will ever be the same. But having lost a family member not so long ago, I have found it helps not to concentrate on how or why they died but the good times you shared and how blessed you were to have such a father.
Despite this I offer my condolences and my support in these hard times ahead. It does not disappear, but it does get easier even if it doesn't seem like it because as often as we'd like to think that things will just stand still, life does go on.
So now you have posted this tragedy for all of us to learn and done your father proud. Just as I am sure you have done in the past. Cherish those moments. Keep them in those times in the future when you feel you have lost direction, are confused, or feel down. It is these moments which only help to focus on the future and what we can make of it without them.
A great big warm hug to you. Remember, there is strength in sticking together with your family, talk...it helped me.
Please feel free to email at any time if you feel you would like to talk.
[email protected]
*bear hug*
Jenna

aww thanx jenna... that's so nice of you... and i couldn't agree more about remembering the good times and everything positively.
that was pretty much exactly the line i've been taking, because after all, life goes on. a tragedy like this doesn't take away from the profound positive effect my dad's life had on mine, but it does make one realise just HOW profound the effects have been.
this morning i saw a card a friend's brother gave his father, thanking him for all the things he had done for his son while he grew up. it was pinned up on the wall at their house. it really made me smile, because that's pretty much exactly what i thanked my dad for at his funeral. my friend's brother took an opportunity I hope we all get.
the other point i guess i'm trying to make is that everyone should treasure your relationships while you can, make sure that everything in your life is going in a positive direction. sometimes things happen between people which give this positivity a bit of a shake, but it's really worth the effort to get everything back into the right vibe.
maybe i'm lucky that i got on so well with my old man and i can be happy in the knowledge that everything between us was SO good. it really has made things a lot easier, especially because the same is true for my mother and younger sister. i really hope everyone else is so lucky.
and for me this is not really about being strong, it's about trying to make a difference for other people, so you guys can learn from what i have to say. i think it's just the decent thing to do.
i'll have to meet some of you people some time. i'll try to make the next meetup. i'm a bit quiet and shy tho'
wink.gif
not really given to announcing myself.
[This message has been edited by De Quincey (edited 18 February 2001).]

I'm really happy that your taking such a positive approach, I know its not always easy. Where are you from? I'd be very happy to meet up with you somewhere!
I'm from Wollongong, so if your in NSW...chances are good. Remember, feel free to email if you feel like a chat.
smile.gif

And don't worry, I usually make up for any silences if you are quiet...people tell me it's a virtue that I seemed to be missing! hehe....and don't be modest..you are strong, be proud of that too!
Jenna

Tonight, after reading your post and the replies, my thoughts are with you.
I cannot even begin to know your feelings, but I truly admire you for bringing this to us.
We are all with you.
*hug*
Mort
(and make sure you meet up with us ASAP!
smile.gif
)

i'm in melbourne. i'm 20 and i study at monash uni.
i'll be signing autographs at...
kidding, dudes.

read your post the day u posted it but have refrained from responding till now, bcos it kinda left me speechless. not just bcos of the way your father was taken from u, but mostly bcos your father WAS taken from u.
makes me go cold with fear, that i'll never know when or how my parents would leave. makes me wonder how much time i have to let them know i love them, and to provide them with the best i possibly can.
makes me guilty for not spending much time with them, for not calling home often enough, and for being too caught up with my own life too often.
its especially difficult when we live in different countries. and it was abit odd for them to receive a sudden barrage of calls from me when i had been pretty independant since young. but i could tell it was a pleasant surprise.
thank u, De Quincey, for the wake-up call.
much strength to u
*big HUGs with little paws*

Just a warning to all concerning driving while tired...
Even if you do not explicitly like sleeping while driving home after a big night out, chances are that your body is (for lack of a better word) fucked. This is not good...
I was a shift worker for several years, much of it spent driving heavy vehicles... believe me when I say that staying up affects your reaction times SEVERELY. Even if u feel awake, you may not happen to notice that Excel pulling out, or that pedestrian whos decided to chance it and run across.
We had a bloke who rolled a 7 ton forklift at the end of a long shift, over familiar ground with a light load at low speed. He didnt feel tired, but his concentration was down. He didnt notice the slope of the ground. He was lucky - he wasnt crushed. Under normal circumstances he was an excellent driver with a spotless record.
At the end of a big night, catch a train, bus or taxi. Its no different to having a few drinks before going out for a spin.
Most times we make it... sometimes we don't.

Another little warning, and a note about the benefits of sleeping before the drive back...
After Kryal I told myself I was gonna do whatever it took to make sure I got some sleep before the long drive back to Melbourne. I'm not sure how much sleep I got, but after at least an hour I felt a shitload better... didn't start the drive back for a few more hours, but still felt fine...
On the drive back I felt ok, and after about an hour I was really glad I'd had that sleep... The car started to get a little unsteady, I could feel the right front tie vibrating quite a lot... I thought I'd pull over and check the tire once I found some shade, but two minutes, and no shade later the tire just about exploded... If I'd been a little more tired I'm not sure what might have happened 'cos it wasn't a slow puncture, it just about blew up, and the car pulled hard to the left and bounced around a bit before stopping... I don't want to know what would have happened if I'd been tired at that point...
I still managed to drive for another couple of hours without a problem, tho being pissed off at my un-cooperative car might have helped keep me alert... and dodgy sunday drivers in the city
------------------
-=Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental=-

i was just looking through some old threads and look what i *bump*ed into...
there are a lot of new BLers around who probably haven't read this thread (and some other ones who need reminding), so i just hope some of them do. i know a lot of you drive under the influence. i bet you can imagine what i think of that kind of behaviour.
an update: almost 4 months on, and my family and i are going pretty well. but we could be going a fucking lot better if some idiot hadn't decided to drive home after a rave. think about your actions, guys. and think of the consequences.
how's that for an eye-opener?
DQ.

De Quincey, glad to here things are getting better. I've been guilty of this sort of action in the past (Only twice but thats twice too many, it only takes once for an accident to occur) and reading this again just gave me a big phat kick in the ass. After all its not that hard to sleep in a car for a few hours is it!

DQ... What can I say. This is my first time reading this, Jesus.
I was just sitting here, procrastinating, worring about overdue this and that before I found this. My personal priorities seem so trivial now. I have a prickly sweat and feel sick.
I'm sorry... It always seems to happen to the "other" people, tragedies like this. What an erroneous assumption. I remember seeing this on the news, it was horrible then, worse now.
People be careful. It's not just about driving home tired... Its about risks. Our particular hobby entails these as a matter of course, but carelessness DOES NOT go with the territory. Respect yourself, others rely upon you. We have one BL'er in hospital right now, we don't need anymore. Know your shit, and put that knowlege into practice. To quote another well known member of this group:
"We may be BLUELIGHTERS, but we are not invincible."
How about a group BL sleep in at the next out of town party?
------------------
The woods are dark and deep, and you have miles to go before you sleep...

How many people aren't even going to remember reading this post by the time they're "off their face" at the next rave?
What are the chances then, that they're going to remember it when they're scattered, coming down, tired-as-fuck, not entirely rational nor comprehensible, and wanting nothing more than to get to wherever they need to go?
Who else will remember De Quincey's story at the time when they need to be the most vigilant?
I will.
I have a bright yellow post-it note with DQ written on it. When I park at a rave, I stick it right in the middle of my windscreen so that whoever is driving me home, asks "What's DQ?"
xMFx

*big smile at miss flea*
that's a really nice idea.
a lot of people say "oh that's terrible" and then carry on as before. i hope those people feel guilty when i tell them they're a bunch of hypocritical fucks.
*If you drive on drugs, you can go and get fucked.*