• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Subutex first week help!

Kezzy

Greenlighter
Hello
i am very new to this site so this may have already been discussed before and I don't know where to find it so bear with me.
i started subutex 3 days ago for a long term (8-9 years) codeine problem.

This started at a standered 60mg x4 daily to control pain due to a chronic bowel disorder but steadily cracked up to anything between 400mg to 700mg 2-3 times daily with little pain relief effects. After attempting to unsuccessfully taper (numerous times) my doc suggested seeking support from the local drug and alcohol centre as I was fully aware I took this drug for both pain and as a mood elevator (I have suffered from depression for 20years).

after discussing this with a non medical prescriber he made the decision to trial subutex. I initially insisted that I attempt a very low does but he insisted that through his expireance a 16mg dose is most successful, so I agreed to go with his opinion.

so far the subutex has been fine, no physical wd and no problems with sleep, in fact I don't really know I'm taking it. But the only thing that concerns me is I still have persistent and almost obsessive cravings for the codeine? I know it is only day three and I wasn't expecting a walk in the park, but others have stated that their cravings greatly diminished whilst taking this drug. Is this something that is likely to pass over the next few weeks. I am very committed to continuing this treatment but some advice along the way is always helpful.
ps excuse my spelling I'm dyslexic

The cravings for your DOC are totally normal at this point, though if you stay on the Subutex for any length of time they should subside. You basically trained yourself to depend on codeine to stabilize your mood when you were taking it, so it is going to take some time to relearn to regulate your emotional state effectively (assuming you ever really did learn to do so in healthy way - most addicts and people who end up with problematic drug taking histories never were taught by their caretakers to coregulate their mood in effective healthy ways).

What kind of support do you have? It is important to find a good teacher, because you are going to have to work with other people in order to learn to coregulate effectively, otherwise you will find you need to continue utilizing substances in order to regulate, which can be problematic for obvious reasons.

If you continue taking buprenorphine for another month and do not find your cravings subsiding, and are struggling with dealing with them, I would suggest looking into kratom or methadone. They tend to work a bit better than buprenorphine for satiating cravings.

Thanks for the response thoothpastedog. Your totally correct, it's going to take a while to stabilise my emotions as from the age of 14 I have used one substance or another to bring a little peace and tranquility in to my head.
im currently supported from a local treatment group so do have a worker I can discuss these issues with, and plan to do so in the very near future. They do offer other forms of support through this service but as I am in employment I am unable to access many of them due to timings.
I plan on sticking through this, horrendous cravings or not, but thanks for the advice on other medications that may be more beneficial, I will bear them in mind. The prescriber at the treatment centre is quite open minded.

These cravings will subside my friend. Once you start replacing your go to coping mechanism (using) with something that is less short term they will slowly get better.

This being said they never truly go away. A craving can grab you at the craziest moments, but the more you work on it the easier it becomes to manage them.

So today is day 4. Slept in till 10am which is very unlike me but must of needed the rest. Still getting the strong cravings but found by quickly finding something to do I can keep them from getting me too down.

What tips do others have regards good healthly occupations to engage with to boost natural serotonin and endorphins? Exercise I know is great, but currently still feeling to fatigued to do anything more than a walk.

Thoothpastedog I had a look at the kartom idea and I believe he substance is now banned in the uk, if anybody else knows differently then let me know as this could be a potential support when coming off the subutex.

also does anybody have expirience with dealing with the sweats. I'm currently poring streams of the stuff (not my most attractive look��). Any tips on natural remedies to minimise this.

any advice about anything is really appreciated, talking to those with prior experience is kinda keeping me going, my husband is very supportive but has no clue regards this subject and finds it all a bit obscure

on the plus side (as I am aware it sounds like I'm moaning a lot ) I feel very liberated, this is the first time in years and years that I haven't had to swallow a load of pills, travel to different pharmacist seeking out oc stuff and wake up as sick as a dog. And it's been 7 weeks since having a drink (another one of my demons ��)

Nice! Sweating can be very frustrating, but there isn't really that much you can do about it other than wait for your body to get back in sync.

Walking is actually really good. Try finding a nice big park, or better yet a forest, and go for long walks. It is really good for you to get out in nature and spend a couple hours walking around.

Eating right and staying hydrated is also important. Listing to music is also great to get the good neurotransmitters flowing again. I also find meditation can be very helpful, so find yourself a good guided meditation you like (such as from marc.ucla.edu, their particular brand of mindfulness is very effective) and give it a try.

You're doing a great job. Keep up the great work!