• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Suboxone Wd day 8, need advice

Baron27

Greenlighter
Hello,

I just went 7 days without taking any suboxone after jumping off at 1mg, which seems like a relatively high dose to jump off off, given the potency of bup. I’ve been on maintenance (first MMT then suboxone) for a few years now.

The first few days were rough, but easier than expected. Things got very difficult at day 6. By day 7 at night I was suffering big time. I couldn’t take it any longer and took .25mgs of suboxone. An hour later I fell asleep for the first time in a while.

My main concern is: did I ruin all my progress? Is there any shame in taking tiny slivers (.25 or lower) when things get hell-ish? Or is this simply prolonging the inevitable? I know it will likely prolong the withdrawal but I’m hoping it will be slightky more manageable if I have to take slivers every other day or so. I still feel withdrawal today but it’s not nearly as intense. I’m really feeling like shit about taking that dose :(

My gf is holding on to the subs so I don’t do anything foolish.

Planning on seeing my family doc in a couple days to get some comfort meds (clonidine + gabapentin)

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

No, you haven't merely prolonged the inevitable. All the progress you made isn't removed just by taking 0.25mg. Taking a little buprenorphine doesn't speed up the process, but using it like that won't really make it take longer than it would without either.

Some comfort meds will help a lot.

I agree with toothpastedog.

Question: Rather than wait for things to get "very difficult" or "hell-ish" have you thought about a more systematic taper? Just for example, have your gf administer to you:

Day 1-12: .25 mg every 36 hours
Day 13-24: .25 mg followed by .125 mg thirty-six hours later followed by .25 thirty-six hours after that, etc.
Day 25-36: .125 every 36 hours
Day 37-48: .125 every 48 hours

You get the point. And regardless, you are lucky to have a gf that is willing to assist you with this (read; keep you honest).

I've never been down this road before but may soon. I fear that if I jump too soon and find myself in a situation that becomes too hellish, I would give myself permission to use something far more dangerous than buprenorphine to ease the discomfort.

Good luck with your recovery.

Thank you for the responses guys :) I have considered a more systematic taper, like you’ve mentioned. I always struggled with it though. After not taking any subs for 7 days though my tolerance is way down and so far it seems a lot easier to manage on a smaller dose. I don’t feel very good but I’m not feeling awful either. I’m hoping it will be a little easier if I need to taper down a bit more this time around.

Hello,

I just went 7 days without taking any suboxone after jumping off at 1mg, which seems like a relatively high dose to jump off off, given the potency of bup. I’ve been on maintenance (first MMT then suboxone) for a few years now.

The first few days were rough, but easier than expected. Things got very difficult at day 6. By day 7 at night I was suffering big time. I couldn’t take it any longer and took .25mgs of suboxone. An hour later I fell asleep for the first time in a while.

My main concern is: did I ruin all my progress? Is there any shame in taking tiny slivers (.25 or lower) when things get hell-ish? Or is this simply prolonging the inevitable? I know it will likely prolong the withdrawal but I’m hoping it will be slightky more manageable if I have to take slivers every other day or so. I still feel withdrawal today but it’s not nearly as intense. I’m really feeling like shit about taking that dose :(

My gf is holding on to the subs so I don’t do anything foolish.

Planning on seeing my family doc in a couple days to get some comfort meds (clonidine + gabapentin)

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

A situation like this is perfect for dosing once every 48 hours. This could be a "smooth" step into tapering down to about .25 mg or less.

You'll be amazed how much gabapenitn and clonidine and a benzo can help you make it through the acute withdrawal OP. Keep you're head up for that - especially the gabapentin. It won't get you super fucked up or anything, but it will help a tremendous amount in terms of making it more bearable.

Good to know :)

Does it help much with the RLS? It looks like it’s prescribed off label for this (gabapentin). The restless legs is seriously the worst! especially at night. I’ve been running daily for 30+ minutes and it certainly helps but the RLS always creeps back. I’ve yet to take another sub and was even able to work today (I was tired and felt like shit but it was doable like you said. It even helped take my mind off it). I’m seeing my doc in 2 days so hopefully I’ll get a script.

You can't get much better than clonidine and gabapentin together for RLS. Alone they each can help a lot, especially gabapentin, but together they work really well (although taking clonidine during the day is a bit much for some people). If you try and get a little exercise and spend some time taking hot baths/showers or hang out in a sauna/bathhouse, the RLS is pretty much a non-issue for all but the most insane of habits.

Thanks toothpastedog, I’ve been hitting up the gym and steam room the last few days and it totally helps with the rls. I’m on day 11 now since I’ve tried to get off the subs, took .25 one day but that was it. I was on suboxone for about 3 years, on mmt for 4 years before that. It’s probably different for everyone but how long would you estimate it’ll take before I feel somewhat ok? I’m thinking like 30 days atleast but I’m thinking depression and anxiety could linger much longer. Trying to stay positive and hope the worst of it is behind me but I keep thinking “maybe this is just what sober is like now” since it’s been such a drawn out process.

Considering your taper, you should begin to feel noticeably better around end of week two off buprenorphine. It is weird though, the symptoms are less acute than when detoxing from a full agonist like heroin or methadone, but they symptoms linger for quite a while even if they aren't as intense. This means you'll probably still be dealing with some degree of malaise, mood disregulation, RLS, insomnia, etc around 30 days off. It should be very manageable though.

If you're predisposed to dissociatives or entheogens this would be a good time to have some "therapy" with that kind of thing. I find using stuff like iboga and DXM really helped me to transition to a lifestyle that didn't involve/revolve around opioid use after using for many years. It made dealing with some of the lingering symptoms a lot easier, though with your healthy lifestyle choices (like the gym and steam room) you'll be okay regardless. Just takes time.

What is your diet and stress level like these days, since getting off buprenorphine? Healthy nutrition and keeping the stress levels low will help a help you transition off a hell of a lot.

Nutrition has been pretty good for the most part, drinking lots of water, taking supplements (dlpa, l-tyrosine, l-glutamine) and taking protien. Things have been a little stressful at work but at times when I’m occupied it helps. Today I have a new symptom: depression. I was hoping I would magically skip this phase but I guess it’s part of the process. Trying to remind myself that there’s so much more to life than opiates and that this is temporary (although lenghty and shitty) thanks again for your insights :)

Yes, there is a lot of stuff that comes and goes with the mood. I've found learning to meditate, mindfulness and related stuff to be really helpful with the mood regulation and dealing more skillfully with depression. But even years later, it's still very much a learning process. I think we all have a lot of work to do, no matter how far we've come.

I like the idea we continue developing throughout our lives, not just until we're 28 or whatever. Gives way more opportunity for growth and change, more chance to disengage with afflictive habits.

Hopefully with the holidays coming up you'll be able to spend some quality time taking care of yourself - whatever that might mean for you :)