• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids suboxone/vicodin detox final steps exit strategy

Greenlighter
Hello,
I got laid off so I figured while Im on unemployment this is the only time I will have few weeks while on unemployment to detox off sub. Last time I did it in 2011, I was in bed and gym out of it, lethargic for 2 months it seemed. and I think I relapsed back to it cause I was depressed and tired. I ever did Ibogaine, that stuff is expensive..

I been on about 1.1mg of suboxone for about 10 months. I been on a sub at like 1/16 of 8mg strip for a week almost the smallest you could cut but I would have to consume that twice a day..

I know what sub detox is, its not so painful, but long and miserable, so I jump on some vicodin (and xanax) for detox.. I been on about a week of 15-20mg of Vicodin, but I still have RLS for an hour when I sleep. Usually between 2 and 3 am. Today, same and woke up in sweat, BUT didnt do the midnight dose..

My question is.. whats the smallest dose vicoden per 24 hours without withdrawal.. I have 13 5 mg doses, can I pull this off in a week and be semi functional. Im taking 300 mg of wellbutrin and its helping a bunch with the mental lethargy..Physically I ride bike for 3-5 miles last five days, of course after I pop 5mgs..

The biggest issue/concern/fear I need addressed is the restless leg syndrome, and Im taking potassium and multivitamin..

Not sure how to finish this detox off with a smooth epilogue, any advice out of experience or expertise very appreciated.
thanks

Last edited:
You've kinda messed up in a way...let me explain. Flip flopping pain pills/maint. meds can cause addiction issues again.

You're now building a tolerance to Vicodin, which is going to possibly put you back into withdrawals if you try to stop. A week of being on vicodin is long enough to feel some symptoms, especially having the opiate addict brain.

Have you found that the suboxone has blocked any "buzz" you would normally feel without the suboxone, or do you feel something?

I despise RLS. It's possibly the worst symptom, minus anxiety. Everyone is different in how our legs/bodies react to withdrawal, so it's hard to pinpoint a specific time of RLS. Dosing a tiny amount of subx/vicodin, not a full dose, can help ease this.

***Don't mix benzos with suboxone, as it can cause respiratory depression****
(not sure if small amt of subx/xanax will harm you, but better safe than sorry)

Here's another thread, also on page 1 here, about the same issue. http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/759886-Tapering-from-my-last-bupe-use
Check it out.

Let me say this. My first time trying to quit... I jumped at the 6-8mg per day dose cold turkey, more on some days, for 2.5 years straight... TERRIBLE and by far the worst experience I've ever had from quitting anything. BY FAR. I laid in bed, only got up to piss or eat my one meal a day that someone would bring to my bedroom door. Thank god for that. Ok, 21 days later, I said FUCK THIS, I had only felt about 20-30% improvement. I couldn't believe it. So, I said I'm getting some more and doing a ween. I weened down to EXACTLY what you were doing. TINY ass pieces. Less than 1/16th's at times and only that much each day. I was doing that for 2 weeks, and took my final dose 2 months after my 21st day of failed cold turkey quitting from my first experience.

Omg, weening made all the difference in the world. I kept waiting and waiting for it to get worse. But, it was primarily just me feeling sleepy. And sure, I couldn't sleep great... but it wasn't like my first time, zero sleep at night. Short naps throughout the day on and off. Nah, I'd say I was sleeping the entire night by day 3. Well, falling asleep at 9:30-10:00 pm and waking around 5:00-6:00am. (I think that's supposed to be normal, haha, I've forgotten). Well, literally on my 21st day through this, 7.5 mg speckled hydros were placed in front of me. I thought, man, after what I've been through, I can handle this. Day one with only 1 or 2 taken orally, then day 2... then I was like, fuck it, I'll just do it one more day... one more day.... and I'll be damned if I wasn't taking them for about 3 weeks... so then I had to score bupe because I thought I'd rather use it short term and finally get off it all.

8 months later... I'm still trying to take my last dose... and can't.

The moral of MY story is... don't substitute one opiod for another. I know bupe isn't like oxy or hydros, but by god the effects are very damn similar and works in a closely related way. You know what the number one thing I found was that helped substantially with my W/D's and also cause zero W/D? Marijuana. Sometimes I felt too bad to pack a bowl and hit it... as if it's a chore or struggle... but after I did, I was like OMG, why haven't I been doing this more often? I'm a pot head, anyways. I've also tried since that last 21 day stretch multiple times in the last 8 months to use hydros to give me some space with out bupe, to lower my bupe tolerance, and be able to ween starting from a lower dose.... But it just doesn't work. Not for me. It sounds like the perfect idea. But I really believe that's because it maybe makes a little sense, but take that PLUS what our brain WANTS, and it's gonna sound like a million dollar plan. "yeah, man, that's right, perfect idea, we'll be off of this in no time... easy peasy." Maybe that's just my head.

I'm going to have to find a way to force myself to do this, but the most positive thing I've read about that dramatically eases W/D's is exercise. And running in particular. Not just weight lifting. It's the cardio. The endorphin release. etc. etc. But I've yet to bring myself to it, even though I was once a physical masterpiece, not to brag. But, from what I've read, and from what I've gathered... 4 weeks before or longer either taking your last dose, or starting the ween... start the cardio. I've just not been able to bring myself to do anything like that since I've been on bupe. I continued working out for the first few months... then I was just like fuck it. I'm trying to maintain a good, normal feeling on the shit and "doing something" will make me not have it, "I felt". But although I haven't experienced it for myself, I feel like this is a very important step to take in minimizing W/D symptoms, along with a proper taper. And no cheating, aka, taking a little bit of bupe 5 days after your last dose, because you'll do it again 4 days later, then ur like fuck it, gonna start over. Don't underestimate the weed, though. It's excellent at actually calming the mind and reducing the cold sweats. Just overall gave me a much more positive experience for 2 hours every time. I'd consider it a necessity in my "quitting the bupe" toolbox.

Last edited:
to be honest with you, to me, the real drug is the suboxone, dope or vicodin is something you can get outta you in a week. Sub on other hand as some say gets in your bones. It doesnt, but it be taking forever. Relapsing is not an issue, because I am sick and tired of the prolonged side effects of being high. Now, that being said, I do crave the shit on fridays and saturday. But for that I got the naltrexone. Its 50mg.

I been on years with benzos and bupe..BUT small does doses of each, You eat a strip and pop a 2mg bar, you might not wake up from your nod session.. I got an important interview next week, I want to be prepared to start in a week if I get an offer, but sounds like I am a week behind schedule. I just dont want to go to sub daily and be a slave. I get constipated, which sucks ass, and sex doesnt work, you can only ejaculate via masturbation. Im 35.. Its getting old. and once Im clean Im going to eat the dope blocker Friday and Saturday, maybe daily the first month! thanks

Far as Have you found that the suboxone has blocked any "buzz" you would normally feel without the suboxone, or do you feel something?
Yeah if you have sub in the system and you do dope, you gonna be worhtless in bed for 2 days after dope day, and you gna be adjusting to your regular sub dose for like a week. Im like 5-10% of opiate addicts, I get all hyped on it, like its speed, I starting talking a lot and all thats stuff, I get energy, so naturally without it Im really tired. sub gives me energy

well thats case by case, my question is what to do next at 5mg of vicodin twice a day???
how can finish this off