• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suboxone to Tramadol conversion?

Seasick

Greenlighter
Hello, I have been taking 2mg of Suboxone for about 1 year but just flew down to Mexico and forgot my Subs back home. So first thing I did was went to the pharmacy to buy some Tramadol since it is over the counter here. I have tried taking as little Tramadol as possible, just enough to feel "normal", and it seems like 400mg works pretty well. So my question is: am I taking too much? I can't find a conversion chart for Bupe to Tramadol so I have no idea. Does Tramadol last 24 hours like Suboxone does? Should I take the Tramadol all in the morning when I wake up or take half in the morning, half at night? Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you

This is a tough one man as there is no way to properly calculate a dose equivalency from Buprenorphine to tramadol, as bupe is a partial agonist although very potent at the receptor level. I would say if 400 mg is keeping you somewhat comfortable that’s all that matters

400 mg of tramadol is the boundary of giving yourself a seizure. Especially if your body has no tolerance to the tramadol. Some people react different. Ive taken more than that before without seizures but after 400 is when your chances increase

^These are some valid points. Tramadol (Ultram) tends to severely lower the seizure threshold when dosage exceeds 300mg+, so you do so at your own risk. If I were you, I would try to get by with only 300mg and see how that works. As others have noted, it's difficult to do an Opioid dose conversion when dealing with Buprenorphine (Suboxone/Subutex), as it's actually a partial-agonist, while Tramadol is a full-agonist. Also, Tramadol will cause other side effects related to its SNRI activity that you need to be aware of.

Basically, it's difficult to do an accurate conversion of these two as neither are straight-up, Opioid agonists.

Tramadol will cause other side effects related to its SNRI activity that you need to be aware of.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I took your advice and went down to 200 mg and that was not enough, so I upped to 300mg and that gets me by fine. Actually, more than fine, as I am experiencing the positive anti-depressent qualities in Tramadol which I looked up after seeing Keif Richards mention of SNRI activity with Tramadol and it seems like there is a lot of people who have changed their lives with Tramadol for depression. I'm very intruiged. I also noticed after taking the Tramadol at 300mg for several days I started to have more energy and "outgoing attitude" than normal. Before I became an opiate abuser, I was prescribed several anti-depressents and none ever did any good at all, and some were hell. Then i found Oxycontin, and it was like the ultimate anti-depressant for me, I was convinced this was enough for me to justify my drug use. Well long story short now i've been on Suboxone for 1 year and weaned down to 2mg. And while the Subs take away all craving for opiates, and make me feel "content", it makes me really lazy. So when I started getting this energy boost type effect from the Tramadol it was REALLY noticeable. Its been almost 2 weeks now actually, and every morning when I wake up I feel like crap kinda like withdrawals (might all be in my head). Then I take the Tramadol and 1 hour later I get a really notice I feel happier about everything and am talkative and exercise is enjoyable (not normal for me). So it's noticeable to me and to the people around me. I was just described on AirBnB as "nice, and outgoing", normally it might be "nice, but quiet". I dunno what to think about this. What do you all think?

I completely understand how you feel man, I?m in the same situation, just with Kratom instead of Tramadol. I stopped Suboxone one moth ago this Friday with Kratom. I feel the same in the morning as you describe. Just wonder if or when I?ll ever be feeling good on nothing. Oh well