• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Suboxone taper plan, attempt #2

Baron27

Greenlighter
Greetings,

After much research and trial and error, I feel that I may have come up with a reasonable suboxone tapering plan. Please feel free to comment or add any suggestions. Any input from anyone who has had some success in this area is encouraged. I'd like to not draw this out but feel that I should begin with some brief background information for the purpose of perspective.

In my early adolescence, I began experimenting with opiates and eventually became addicted to oxy, 200-300mg's daily at it's worst. I ended up on methadone, 35mg's per day for 6 months. I was 22 years old and decided to quit cold turkey. This was not without help and severe struggle. I flew to another province (I live in Canada) for the worst of the withdrawals. Let me tell you, they lasted for months and it was the most difficult and awful thing I've ever experienced in my life. The depression that followed was so horrible that I contemplated suicide on a regular basis. It was such a traumatic experience that part of me feels at though I never truly recovered. I was left with symptoms that resembled PTSD. I was eventually able to rebuild my life and almost all negative symptoms disappeared. After two years of being clean, I moved into a new apartment in the city and was starting a new job, only to discover that my neighbor was a dealer. Within a month, I was addicted again. Due to the nature of the severe withdrawal that I experienced the first time I came off opiates, I've been terrified of coming off of them and have been for the past 6 years.

Fast forward 6 years, I'm not on suboxone and have tapered from 12mg's to 1.5mgs. My first attemt at a suboxone taper I failed when I reached 1mg and rapidly increased my dose back to 12mg's. I've been on 2mg's now comfortably for several months. I've decided to try a 40 day taper plan. My plan is as follows:

Current dose: 2mgs

1) 1.5
2) 1.5
3) 1.5
4) 1.5 * (Current day)
5) 1.5
6) 1.5
7) 1.5
8) 1.5
9) 1.5
10) 1.5
11) 1.25
12) 1.25
13)1.25
14) 1.25
15) 1.25
16) 1.25
17) 1.25
18) 1.25
19) 1.25
20) 1.25
21) 1
22) 1
23) 1
24) 1
25) 1
26) 1
27) 1
28) 1
29) 1
30) 1
31) .5
32) .5
33) .5
34) .5
35) .5
36) .5
37) .25
38) .25
39) .25
40) .25

What do you think of this plan? Anything that can improved or changed? Any insight or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Greetings,

After much research and trial and error, I feel that I may have come up with a reasonable suboxone tapering plan. Please feel free to comment or add any suggestions. Any input from anyone who has had some success in this area is encouraged. I'd like to not draw this out but feel that I should begin with some brief background information for the purpose of perspective.

In my early adolescence, I began experimenting with opiates and eventually became addicted to oxy, 200-300mg's daily at it's worst. I ended up on methadone, 35mg's per day for 6 months. I was 22 years old and decided to quit cold turkey. This was not without help and severe struggle. I flew to another province (I live in Canada) for the worst of the withdrawals. Let me tell you, they lasted for months and it was the most difficult and awful thing I've ever experienced in my life. The depression that followed was so horrible that I contemplated suicide on a regular basis. It was such a traumatic experience that part of me feels at though I never truly recovered. I was left with symptoms that resembled PTSD. I was eventually able to rebuild my life and almost all negative symptoms disappeared. After two years of being clean, I moved into a new apartment in the city and was starting a new job, only to discover that my neighbor was a dealer. Within a month, I was addicted again. Due to the nature of the severe withdrawal that I experienced the first time I came off opiates, I've been terrified of coming off of them and have been for the past 6 years.

Fast forward 6 years, I'm not on suboxone and have tapered from 12mg's to 1.5mgs. My first attemt at a suboxone taper I failed when I reached 1mg and rapidly increased my dose back to 12mg's. I've been on 2mg's now comfortably for several months. I've decided to try a 40 day taper plan. My plan is as follows:

Current dose: 2mgs

1) 1.5
2) 1.5
3) 1.5
4) 1.5 * (Current day)
5) 1.5
6) 1.5
7) 1.5
8) 1.5
9) 1.5
10) 1.5
11) 1.25
12) 1.25
13)1.25
14) 1.25
15) 1.25
16) 1.25
17) 1.25
18) 1.25
19) 1.25
20) 1.25
21) 1
22) 1
23) 1
24) 1
25) 1
26) 1
27) 1
28) 1
29) 1
30) 1
31) .5
32) .5
33) .5
34) .5
35) .5
36) .5
37) .25
38) .25
39) .25
40) .25

What do you think of this plan? Anything that can improved or changed? Any insight or thoughts would be much appreciated!

This is an update to inform any of you that I have failed. While on my way in to work I felt so sick that I couldn't stop sneezing and inadvertently sneezed out my dose on to a strangers jacket (no joke, it was humiliating and deeply frustrating) I've decided that I've had enough suffering. I can't f*cking do this anymore. I've tried all the planning, preparation, lifestyle changes , EVERYTHING. and nothing works. I'll never get off this substance, it's impossible, Im convinced of it. So f*ck it, I quit quitting.

dam man I feel for you and i get it.... Im also on suboxone maintenance 8-10mgs a day for 5 years now, I have tried tapering down TWICE and failed both times

it is very difficult to come off of this substance, so I gave up also and am just content now with my life on suboxone, I like to tell myself that I will stay on it indefinitely knowing dam well the only way Ill come off of it is through death

like I said man you gotta try and get to a point where you just accept life on maintenance- I have and its chill, at least theres very little cravings for dope, no depression, and I can sleep for upwards of 12 hours without waking up once...

Failure is a part of the learning by process, so please try and not be to hard on yourself. It happens. I was just about to comment that a 40 day taper for a 6 year habit is pretty radical. I would try and shoot for tapering over the course of at least 6 months if you want to be really comfortable and maximize your chances of success. Good luck OP!

I've been trying to quit sub for almost 2 years. If this is something you want, then please don't give up. I've gone from 2 a day down to a quarter of one a day and I feel comfortable at that. I just read everyone's posts and avoid posting myself for fear of looking stupid but your post struck a chord with me. Please don't despair.

Can you ask a doctor for some detox meds? I'm going thru the same thing but I'm still on 4 mg a day and trying to taper but I couldn't even taper at all. I told my doc that I need gabapentin clonidine and robaxin bc those helped me wd from morphine in rehab. He gave me the clonidine and gaba but not robaxin. But the two are helping a lot. It's such crap that this med is supposed to help us off bad drugs and really it just starts a new addiction. I was just up front and kinda pushy with my sub doc. I made it clear I want off these but I just can't. I have a toddler and I can't just lay in bed sick and lethargic. I did relapse on norcos this last month and was going between those and subs. But I finally got sick of it and now I'm just taking sub and the other meds. The longer the habit, like in your case, the harder it is. So don't lose hope that you failed, you probably just need more help rather than just jumping off yourself.

This is kind of an old thread so i'm not sure of anybody will see this; regardless I thought I'd update it. My previous post I made in despair and frustration and felt that it might be discouraging to others.

I've always struggled with suboxone tapering. For whatever reason I just can't seem to adjust to doses lower than one mg. I get symptoms that resemble full blown withdrawal and I never seem to adjust to it. Because of this, I decided to take a full 9 days off work and make the jump at 1mg. I'm on day 5 of jumping off suboxone and I can honestly say that the withdrawals are manageable (so far). It's been a little over 100 hours since my last dose, by now the withdrawals *should* be full blown. Does this sound accurate?

I have Kratom on hand for when things have got a little intense but I only have a limited amount. Let me say that it has helped tremendously, especially at night (I got 4 hours sleep last night!)

If things keep on like this then I think i'll be successful.

Thanks for checking in. Sounds like, all things considered, you've been doing pretty well with this, especially if you started from 12mg/day.

Withdrawals with buprenorphine usually begin peaking around day five, so you should start to be feeling the worst in a day or two. But they aren't always so horrible, especially when someone tapers well like you have. Sometimes just using comfort meds to jump off makes more sense than continuing the taper past a certain point.

In my case, it would have been better off tapering a little longer, but I ended up jumping off around 4-2mg/day of buprenorphine. I didn't have too hard of a time. A little temazepam and gabapentin were really all I needed to deal with the withdrawal, although my mood was pretty shitty for a couple weeks. I'd been using it for about 18 months around 8mg/day.

Acute withdrawal from buprenorphine lasts about one to two weeks when you taper and get off it properly like you have. A few symptoms might linger a little past week two, but they'll be very manageable. More annoying than anything, especially without comfort meds.

Do you have any comfort meds like gabapentin, clonidine or diazepam? Cannabis helps some, although now I prefer CBD. Comfort meds, especially just gabapentin and clonidine (which any doctor in their right mind would prescribe no questions asked to someone detoxing from opioids), make a really big difference when it comes to successfully getting off opioids.

You should be able to work by day nine. I doubt it will be fun, but it should be doable, especially if you're able to take some comfort meds.

Did I remember to mention comfort meds? ;)

Thanks for checking in. Sounds like, all things considered, you've been doing pretty well with this, especially if you started from 12mg/day.

Withdrawals with buprenorphine usually begin peaking around day five, so you should start to be feeling the worst in a day or two. But they aren't always so horrible, especially when someone tapers well like you have. Sometimes just using comfort meds to jump off makes more sense than continuing the taper past a certain point.

In my case, it would have been better off tapering a little longer, but I ended up jumping off around 4-2mg/day of buprenorphine. I didn't have too hard of a time. A little temazepam and gabapentin were really all I needed to deal with the withdrawal, although my mood was pretty shitty for a couple weeks. I'd been using it for about 18 months around 8mg/day.

Acute withdrawal from buprenorphine lasts about one to two weeks when you taper and get off it properly like you have. A few symptoms might linger a little past week two, but they'll be very manageable. More annoying than anything, especially without comfort meds.

Do you have any comfort meds like gabapentin, clonidine or diazepam? Cannabis helps some, although now I prefer CBD. Comfort meds, especially just gabapentin and clonidine (which any doctor in their right mind would prescribe no questions asked to someone detoxing from opioids), make a really big difference when it comes to successfully getting off opioids.

You should be able to work by day nine. I doubt it will be fun, but it should be doable, especially if you're able to take some comfort meds.

Did I remember to mention comfort meds? ;)

Thanks for the reply and encouragement :) Just a couple of questions: Does Clonidine actually help that much? I asked my doctor for it once and he was just like "That's for high blood pressure.." and refused. If gabapentin and clonidine help then i'll definitely check out my options. I apologize if this is a silly question but what's CBD? Were your synptoms still pretty harsh on the second week of detoxing?

Thanks again for the response.

No problem.

When I detoxed from buprenorphine the symptoms really seems to mostly clear up the second week. There was some lingering insomnia and RLS that bugged me for a month or two, but it was manageable with Tiger Balm (kinda like Vicks rub, lots of menthol and stuff that helps relax the muscles when you massage them with it) and a sleep aid (I think I used trazadone).

Seems like my experience wasn't out of the ordinary with buprenorphine. Wasn't ideal, but it was far from worst case scenario. I think my acute withdrawal really cleared up in terms of stuff keeping me from functioning by the middle or week two, but the whole thing wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be based on horror stories I'd heard. Not pleasant by any means, but not soul crippling either.

Clonidine and gabapentin really help a lot. Clonidine helps a lot on its own, although not as much as gabapenin. But both together are way better than either one alone, particularly with taking 0.2mg clonidine at night. That clonidine is especially good for hot/cold flashes, though I didn't experience that as much as a problem kicking buprenorphine like it is heroin. It is also helpful for a little insomnia (doesn't knock you out by any means, but it helps). Clonidine helps me a lot with RLS too.

Unless you have problems with blood pressure or are allergic to a similar medication, there isn't a reason not to prescribe clonidine to help treat symptoms of acute withdrawal.

CBD = cannabidiol (21:1 means 21 parts CBD to 1 part THC; CBD seems to be more effective when also taken with a very small amount of THC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabidiol