• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Suboxone maintenence

kickitnow

Bluelighter
I couldn't find my old thread, but I remember posting it about a year ago. The first bit of advice I was given (by Toothpastedog) was to consider sub maintenence. At the time I was confident I could go CT, and had a lengthy stint of naltrexone but a year later here I am starting subs. After 10 years of heroin I need the stability ( and the money).

Ive come clean to my wife and family who very nearly disowned me but I'm lucky to have this chance to make it up to them.

In Australia, subs are given out like methadone is in other countries. namely daily medical supervision. Its frustrating and they are talking about most people stabilizing on very hight doses (16-24mg). It's my third day now. first was 4mg. last two have been 8mg and I'm reasonably comfortable. I've read less is more with bupe but the medical professionals seem to rncourahe higher dosing. perhaps for the opiod blocking effect.

tbh I dont feel anything on bupe other than very very mild wd symptoms. I've read storys about it being a great anti depressant and Im not looking to get fucked up on the stuff but it just seems to be 'okay'. hardly transformational. I figure most of that would come with lifestyle changes but I guess I was expecting a little more physical nicety.

should I up the dose or am I just chasing a high lime with most opiates? A high thats not even there to begin with?

Dont up the dose! More is less, and less is more. Its absolutely right. Mainly because if you get down to 1-2mg its basically out of your system by the next morning... So when u dose, it feels that much better. Get it? The Drs who prescribe such high doses are fkin crazy. I've been on it for 5 yrs now and I've experimented with it every which way u can. Recently I went back to heroin and meth use which was stupid, I wish I never would have. I'm in a similar boat as u brother regarding the family and the gf. I plan to go back on soon, and when i do I won't start any higher than 4-6mg.... That dose has held off just about anything I've ever gotten myself into. Good luck bro.

I'm on suboxone too been on it for little over 4 years now at 8- 10mgs daily, i can honestly tell you getting on suboxone was the BEST decision I've ever made. For some addicts suboxone don't work but for me it works very well its like being on a permanent numbing agent. Ill tell you this, when i dose throughout the day i certainly do feel something, its not a high, more like just constantly feeling relaxed. I love it.

However there are downsides... believe it or not, i do still get cravings to shoot dope. Up until a year ago I used to take heroin holidays and would do dope on the weekends, not taking my subs obviously, then monday would come around and id go back to my suboxone. These "heroin holidays" were incredibly dangerous and not worth it. I would do upwards of 3 buns (10 bags in a bun) for one day, I tell you this shooting 35 bags of dope and id hardly feel a thing, because of the subs built up in my system for years now. Doing a 9 bag shot and feeling maybe 30% of the rush? it was a huge risk of death and an even bigger waste of money, but i just wanted to use that dam needle...

so yea i do still get cravings, i don't use at all anymore, but lets say i were to just give up on subs randomly tomorrow i would go back to shooting dope immidialaty. The suboxone is just a bandaid, but dammit a bandaid thats saving my life.

Hey, kickitnow! I'm so glad to see you back on SL.

I agree with others about upping your suboxone dose...avoid it if you can (and hopefully you can, else you might need to find another doc). When I was on it, I started at 8mg/day. I kept craving, though, and going on those heroin holidays that mrsnowygrainius mentions, so my doc kept raising my dose. Eventually I maxed out at 32mg/day. Honestly I never noticed any difference between 8mg and 32. The high dose was just harder to come off of.

I really hope this brings you the stability you want/need. I can only imagine that this last year must have been pretty rough. We're here for you, man <3