• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suboxone & Butran Patch

PhillyBeard215

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, i'm new here so I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I go to pain managment and I was prescribed Oxycodone 15mg and Morphine 15mg
I been on these for about four years, I was injured at work about five years ago. (it sucks)
I tried subs a couple times and liked the fact that it was more long acting.
Was upfront with my Doc asked if I could drop the Morphine and get on Subutex (didnt know requires a special liscense to prescibe)

I was give Butran patch 10mcg/h/7 days. it works pretty good but was curious if I took a Sub here and there if it would show up any different on a drug test
I know Suboxone is bupe & nalaxone and Butrans are just bupe. Also know nalaxone really doesnt stay in system or show up on drugtest so would they be
able to tell the difference between Butrans and Subs if my last sub was atleast 10 days before the drugtest.

Any advice appricated your probably asking why im doing both or asked for butran instead of Morphine.
I'm in med school and didnt feel it was morally right to be on oxy/morphine during my clinicals when the sub or bupe kept my mind alot clearer.

Hey, I’m sorry to hear about your injury and chronic pain.

Why do you want to take sub on top of the butrans? For a little extra pain relief when your pain is particularly bad?

It depends what sort of test they’re doing but I can’t really think of any reason they would test a chronic pain patient on Butrans for the presence of naloxone, if they are just testing to make sure you are taking your meds and/or testing for illicit/unprescribed drugs then taking suboxone on top of your transdermal buprenorphine should be fine. The only thing I would be careful of would be if they for some reason wanted to test blood concentration of buprenorphine rather than just presence as they might get suspicious if your blood levels are far higher than they’re supposed to be/have been in the past. Although that would still be easy to deny as dose in mg:blood concentration ratios are quite variable between people.

Do you really feel a lot more clear headed on the buprenorphine than on morphine or oxycodone? People do say that suboxone does feel more clearheaded but I never felt particularly “intoxicated” or “un-clearheaded” on opioids, suboxone just makes me hideously sedated without any of the positive effects of regular opioids!

But of course that’s great if it works better for you!!

P.S
we generally don’t field drug test questions on blue light

Hey, I’m sorry to hear about your injury and chronic pain.

Why do you want to take sub on top of the butrans? For a little extra pain relief when your pain is particularly bad?

It depends what sort of test they’re doing but I can’t really think of any reason they would test a chronic pain patient on Butrans for the presence of naloxone, if they are just testing to make sure you are taking your meds and/or testing for illicit/unprescribed drugs then taking suboxone on top of your transdermal buprenorphine should be fine. The only thing I would be careful of would be if they for some reason wanted to test blood concentration of buprenorphine rather than just presence as they might get suspicious if your blood levels are far higher than they’re supposed to be/have been in the past. Although that would still be easy to deny as dose in mg:blood concentration ratios are quite variable between people.

Do you really feel a lot more clear headed on the buprenorphine than on morphine or oxycodone? People do say that suboxone does feel more clearheaded but I never felt particularly “intoxicated” or “un-clearheaded” on opioids, suboxone just makes me hideously sedated without any of the positive effects of regular opioids!

But of course that’s great if it works better for you!!

P.S
we generally don’t field drug test questions on blue light

Hey, thanks for answering my question. Yeah man I just think I been on short acting opioids so long when I do use them I still get a buzz from them so the fact I work in EMS I just never felt like it's morally right for my mind to be that altered but I couldn't work in the field without anything. Bupe definitely helps me the reason I took the sub on top was I guess I didn't notice it working since it's being transdermally moved through the body in micrograms by the 3rd day I was actually able to tell that it's working. The first two days felt no relief.

I use the oxy for breakthrough pain but because of bupes chemical properties the oxy will not work as strong because bupe bindes to the receptors so much more. But yeah all around I would definitely give bupe a try if you could get a doctor to write you that with still a opioid for breakthrough. My doc didn't really understand it at first or what I was trying to get at. I had to literally explain to him that being on a long acting opioid like that regularly and having the other for breakthrough actually makes sense. Alot of docs can't prescibe most bupe medications though because you need a special licenses. The ones they can cost a fortune and are super weak.

Belbuca is $328
Subutex is $34

Same medication just different dose's, even both are sublingually.

Thanks again for help with my question buddy, sorry I didn't know your not supposed to ask those questions it's was my first post. Thank you for your help though.

Hey, thanks for answering my question. Yeah man I just think I been on short acting opioids so long when I do use them I still get a buzz from them so the fact I work in EMS I just never felt like it's morally right for my mind to be that altered but I couldn't work in the field without anything. Bupe definitely helps me the reason I took the sub on top was I guess I didn't notice it working since it's being transdermally moved through the body in micrograms by the 3rd day I was actually able to tell that it's working. The first two days felt no relief.

I use the oxy for breakthrough pain but because of bupes chemical properties the oxy will not work as strong because bupe bindes to the receptors so much more. But yeah all around I would definitely give bupe a try if you could get a doctor to write you that with still a opioid for breakthrough. My doc didn't really understand it at first or what I was trying to get at. I had to literally explain to him that being on a long acting opioid like that regularly and having the other for breakthrough actually makes sense. Alot of docs can't prescibe most bupe medications though because you need a special licenses. The ones they can cost a fortune and are super weak.

Belbuca is $328
Subutex is $34

Same medication just different dose's, even both are sublingually.

Thanks again for help with my question buddy, sorry I didn't know your not supposed to ask those questions it's was my first post. Thank you for your help though.
No worries 😉 glad to be of help