• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone/Buprenorphine FAQ & Megathread v3; 2010 - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure I am about to be prescribed Tramadol (again) for pain due to an injury. I was recently prescribed Ultram, and I told my doctor that it was very effective for getting rid of my post-addiction symptoms, ie depression, no energy.
Does anyone here take Tramadol or HEARD or a doctor prescribing it for depression? I just think it would be a wonder for me, since I am still in pain when I lay down due to a back injury AND I am moderately depressed.

Oh, and I am on Suboxone. My doctor knows this. I usually take up to 4MG a day.

I'm not trying to double post, I am just putting this up for an answer because it was last on the previous page. Thanks in advance, all <3

^I think 6 months of pure hell is a little bit of an exaggeration. After a month, the acute withdrawal should definately be over, and then you face PAWS which is really horrible especially with drugs like methadone and buprenorphine. But it's really unlikely that you're going to be straight up dope sick for months and months.

"It would be illegitimate for a doctor to prescribe a medicine on the basis of what is more desirable economically." I must respectfully disagree with your last statement. I was on Suboxone for 1.5 years when I lost my job and medical insurance... I was taking a 12mg dose daily. The monthly cost for the Suboxone was over $snipUSD. Being out of work with no insurance I had do something and quickly. The psychiatrist whom I am seeing discussed some options for me so I could continue to receive the medication, which was clearly working wonders for me. Since I now had to pay for everything out of pocket the total monthly cost to me would be app. $snip. ($snip for the Doctor visit, $snipfor the meds...) Obviously for someone out of work with no insurance this was too much of a financial burden. What we decided on doing to make this bad situation work was to replace the Suboxone with Subutex. The cost of the new meds is now closer to $snip which I can afford. If the doctor wouldn't have considered changing the medication I would have had to detox cold turkey and would have probably relapsed... So for me changing the medication based on what I could afford worked...

Physicians do this all the time. One should never hesitate to ask their physician for a lesser-priced medication if insurance coverage is lacking or inadequate.

question #2: how long does it take for suboxone withdrawals to hit you? when is the peak day of withdrawal symptoms? I'd prefer an answer from someone who has experience with long term high dosage IV sub use. As i mentioned previously i'm going to see a doc on monday morning, will i be in a sufficient state of withdrawal after ~56 hours for the doctor to prescribe me subs? I understand that answers to questions like these are largely relative to the individual but any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

Anyone have some insight? Or a idea of somewhere else i could find this information? thanks

They hit me after a day of not taking them.... I was IVing... and thanks to a new doctor :D I still am.

^I think 6 months of pure hell is a little bit of an exaggeration. After a month, the acute withdrawal should definately be over, and then you face PAWS which is really horrible especially with drugs like methadone and buprenorphine. But it's really unlikely that you're going to be straight up dope sick for months and months.

Yea, maybe. Clearly I don't have this experience first hand. And I do think you're right, that was a bit of an exageration. BUT it you're at a high dose and don't taper, it will very likely last a minimum of a month, and as you said PAWS drags on and on.

I think, given the OP's dose/frequency he'll be okay. His/hers is not the worst case scenario mentioned.

Actually, I'm not talking about purely acute w/d, I'm talking about that + minor physical symptoms that will linger into the PAWS period, such as GI issues. I think that might be were the confusion lies. Then again, yea, I was kind of exaggerating. Trying to make a point, alas...

PHysical withdrawal should totally end after about 1-1.5 months (Worst is over after about 2 weeks) completely from BUPE.. I mean COMPLETELY gone.. I quit once and at like day 25 i was still getting body shiver goose bumps once a day.. PAWS last around 18-forever after prolonged use..

Good luck... Bupe is 2nd hardest opiate to quit of all time... Behind Methadone..

For addicts with severe life threatening addiction it is no normal to use Bupe for 2+years-life.....

It is possible to quite BUPE ... but is it possible to stay sober without it?

Years ago when I was on Subutex, my sub doctor prescribed me 8 mg 2x daily and 2mg clonopin as needed. Ha he was the greatest. The doctor I have now makes you sign a contract stating you will not take benzos while under his care for sub

I have very bad social anxiety and moderate vgeneral anxiety. I told my Suboxone doctor about this and he prescribed me Vistaril. I have never been prescribed a benzo in my life, or this Vistaril stuff. My doctor did not make me sign a document stating that I agree to not consume benzos while under his care. Upon prescribing the Vistaril, he said, "Try this med and see how it works for you. If it doesn't do it, we can work on something else."

I have tried it about three times, and it worked decently. Not bad, but not great!

Has anyone had good results with Vistaril for anxiety?

Personally I've never tried it, but I struggled with a lot of CBT stuff to over come my anxiety issues, or at least make them manageable. A lot, if not all, of people with anxiety at the intensive outpatient program I originally got my Suboxone from also were put on Vistaril. For most of them it seems to work well. Most I've talked to echo your reaction - they say it works alright, like it does the job well enough and allows them to manage their anxiety.

In some, although granted rarer cases, some people really do need to be on a benzo. Like how some others really need to be on an antipsychotic. Rare these populations really are (on the one hand, they're over prescribed similarly, although less extensively as, SSRIs; on the other many people who really need to be on them don't get access for a variety or socioeconomic, legal, etc reasons), they certainly are out there.

I have very bad social anxiety and moderate vgeneral anxiety. I told my Suboxone doctor about this and he prescribed me Vistaril. I have never been prescribed a benzo in my life, or this Vistaril stuff. My doctor did not make me sign a document stating that I agree to not consume benzos while under his care. Upon prescribing the Vistaril, he said, "Try this med and see how it works for you. If it doesn't do it, we can work on something else."

I have tried it about three times, and it worked decently. Not bad, but not great!

Has anyone had good results with Vistaril for anxiety?

Vistaril is actually hydroxyzine-an anti-histamine,it has decent anti-anxiety potential, but I think a better drug is gabapentin personally.

Yeah I was prescribed vistaril in rehab because of course benzos are a no no. As of now I don't know anyone who has a doctor that will prescribe benzos and sub. Like stated above it is an anti-histamine so that is how it works, doesn't work through the body like a benzo does, it's kind of like taking Benadryl for anxiety. It sucks that doctors will not prescribe benzos for REAL anxiety in people who abuse drugs.

If the anxiety lowers your quality of life you should be treated APPROPRIATELY regardless of whether you are an "addict" or not. If that means you need a benzo, then so be it. I do get where doctors are coming from since most opiate a users poly abuse, and your doctor probably wouldn't even believe you never abused benzos let alone ever took them.

I feel your pain, anxiety is awful. I hope the vistaril has some kind of effect, but if it doesn't I would look and look until I found a doc who WOULD help and looked at your situation with non judgement and treats you accordingly. I know how frustrating that is, I have been calling around and seeing new doctors for the past two months looking for one who will help me and not just look at me like an addict.

Yeah, I actually managed to get my suboxone doctor to prescribe me clonazepam, she even switched it to lorazepam for a while, but I didn't feel as stable on that.

The problem with hydroxyzine, and anti-histamines is that they too build up a tolerance, and if you keep raising the dosage, regardless of whether it's litterally how much you need to get sleep or anxiolytic effects, eventually you'll get to a point where you feel pretty delirious and sick from them. Unfortunately there is no perfect drug for anxiety. They either don't work, or they work too good and you become tolerant and Dependant on them.

Is there any reason DXM would potentiate buprenorphine more than other opiates? I got really smashed of ~2 mg sniffed last night, having ingested 45 mg DXM about 90 min prior.

Vistaril is actually hydroxyzine-an anti-histamine,it has decent anti-anxiety potential, but I think a better drug is gabapentin personally.

Yeah, I know what it is (and I'm not happy about it) and that's why I was very hesitant to use it. I dont know if I even have a choice. My Suboxone doctor is great, though, so there is a possibility he will let me try a new med for anxiety.

that's what I was thinking. If they banned suboxone for some reason all of a sudden, the population of people who take methadone would sky rocket. If you ban methadone and suboxone, we might have to resort to krokodil....

Kidding, of course.

But seriously, what's all the hate about? I feel like people complain about buprenorphine and methadone all the time, but I'm always wondering "well why did you get on it in the first place?" Withdrawal sucks, from any opiate. Just 'cause it has a longer half life, or because its a partial agonist doesn't mean its inherently going to be easier... I agree that suboxone should not be monopolized by R&B, but all and all, buprenorphine is a good thing IMO.

I think in like Japan and Singapore they do not prescribe suboxone. I find that odd.

Suboxone should be banned forever.

Why? Suboxone has given me a second chance of life. I know I would still be using dope if I hadn't been put on Suboxone. Suboxone only makes up about 20% of my current state of recovery. I go to a great NA meeting, I eliminate people who use from my life, and so on and so forth.

Many people on this thread would greatly disagree with your statement, HippieChild. Can you give me a couple good reasons as to why you have such an opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.